Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow cranking engine that doesn't like to fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow cranking engine that doesn't like to fire
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 6:49pm

For the last couple years I've been fighting a slow cranking engine.this came after a complete rebuild of engine,new Battery(two),new distributor,I have also rechecked my grounds and am running heavy cables all from Walcks,as I went through the process of reassembly ,I sent my Geny. and Starter in to Walcks to have them rebuilt.It was brought to my attention that my timing might be off one tooth,does that mean the gears in the front of the engine or the distributor?Im wondering if my Starter(6volt) has been the problem so it's off to be checked.
I've been wanting to keep "Little Red" as stock(except for brake conversion)possible,but I'm considering the jump to 12 volts. Please someone Stop me!Im afraid this could lead me using a leaf blower instead of a rake an be like all the other old guys in the neighborhood Same War,Different Battle.Sandusky
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 7:03pm
Don't do it 6 volts will work! Thumbs Up
Have you replaced the starter bushing that is in the bell housing?
Also have you checked your starter/floor switch?

A quick test is to crank it with the ignition off a few times and see if anything heats up, that will help tell you what is faulty.

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Joe J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 7:11pm
I would not convert it over to 12 volts. My 46 CJ2A is still 6 volts and it works fine.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 7:48pm
I installed a new bushing in the bell housing when we installed the starter. I've also put 2 new foot switches in.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 7:51pm
Ive also heard that an engine that is way out of time will crank very slowly.But as far as what we see it's all good.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 7:52pm
Timing won't change cranking speed. If the engine was tight I would expect overheating issues. You have looked at the grounds, but how about checking for voltage drop across the circuit?
BOULDER 48 2A
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 8:09pm
Is, or will be, all of your starting related wiring new? If not, look over your old wiring and search for blisters in the vinyl. Under those blisters, if you find any, will be corroded wiring. Other than that, I can only think that one section or circuit is using under gauge wire.
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 8:15pm
We installed a new wiring harness so all is new and correct gauge for 6 volt system. I'm sure this will get figured out,but the weather has started to at least turn more Spring like., and Hudson is only weeks away. Keep pitching I'll keep swinging. Thanks
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 8:34pm
Ground straps, enough, right locations, shiny clean connections?
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2014 at 9:28pm
have them do a start load test. get the compression on your engine, check the valves to make sure they are set properly. make sure the battery puts out enough cold cranking amps. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 2:21am
Ok, took my starter to a buddy of mine he's going to run it through the wringer. I've been pulling cables off and cleaning all contact surfaces.before pulling the starter I jumped from the battery to the starter,going around my foot switch.Besides a few sparks,she still didn't crank any faster.Sooooo.Im thinking its the starter. At least I'm hoping .
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 2:26am
I guess it cranks slow but it does start?
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 4:04am
Not very well! I carry a couple of extra sets of points and condensers. Ether,Spark plugs,Jim Beam.
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 4:25am
Maybe with this additional info these guys can reconsider. Sounds like something other than starter, since you had it rebuilt. Most of those guys bench test rebuild but it could have a malfunction. You are getting it double checked so you will know about it soon. When running does it run strong and smooth?
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 1:15pm
When we get it started it runs smooth and idles down very nice,although it lacks power going uphill.I have noticed some power is restored after replacing the condensor. I'm still questioning the timing ,any chance it could have been assembled incorrectly when they reassembled the Engine?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 1:28pm
The one tooth question is the oil pump/distributor meshing. You pull the oil pump down and it twists. Rotate it one more tooth either advance or retard and  re install. This gives you room to rotate the distributor in the right range or orientation up top so you can adjust the timing without  running out of travel. As to slow cranking, I'd do as you have and get the starter R&R'd. They will indeed fight the starter if too far advanced while cranking. A slight adjustment at the distributor makes a huge difference. Weak advance springs in the distributor can also screw with you. It can run fine at idle and start, but go too far advance at running speed and heat up the engine.  I've had no problem with 6 volts and I think 12 volts is too hard on your 6 volt starter. Especially the bendix being slammed into the flywheel.  You'll get it with some tinkering. Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 1:39pm
Thanks
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2014 at 2:58pm
Pull the coil wire if it cranks faster it's an ignition problem if it still cranks slow it's not. 
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>