Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spring rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spring rebuild
    Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 7:44am
I am fortunate to obtain some loose leaves and hangers, rivets and centre bolts to repair my spring pack. Got to love the broken spring eye. This set of springs I notice are not quite identical. In one the leaves are up turned slightly but not on the other spring pack.

The other set has both sets of springs with upturned ends. I will restore these shortly after finishing the frame. Probably ride pretty hard with 10 leaf springs. These will be painted bitumen black.

CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2014 at 11:38pm
I took apart one spring pack and gave it a sand with a flappy disc and coated it Killrust rattle can black. Then pounded in the rivets that hold the spring clamp brackets with a big hammer on an anvil. Then ground the protruding part flat to the spring leaf.

Was easy to get loose bits and pieces to repair it like the spring main leaf, rivets, etc. I am going with the conventional spring pack clamps as they are readily available. Notice it is a 10 leaf pack. Thats going to be rough on the road....

micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2014 at 12:56am
The rest of a spring rebuild is easy enough. Simply push the centre bolt through the leaves and clamp up. Tighten up centre bolt and cut to length. If look at the pic you will see I installed it upside down (since corrected).Embarrassed

I made one other mistake I didn't check the width of the clamps prior to riveting. Had to cut them shorter in situ. Looks a bit rough as a side result. Oh well live and learn. Ouch

One point no need to get carried away with fancy painting prior to assembly. The finish will be ruined when bending the clamps. But at least there is some rustproof paint between the leaves so I suppose they are good for another 70 years??

I compared the other spring on the front part of my frame that I cut off (rather rusty). Much better now both springs and frame.Smile The frame is definitely a CJ3A. Not now though as it looks like an MB.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 7:31am
looking good!

I'm going to have to replace mine outright. My front springs are a mess. At some point a P.O. 'replaced' the front springs by shuffling one heavy duty and one light duty together, so my front springs are a complete mess. Just another fix I don't have the funds to do.

On top of that, at some point the eyelet broke off of the driver's side front spring. It was welded back on offset with the outside of the eyelet centered on the spring. Between that and the dead shackles (also welded to the springs) the front axle is offset enough that the front diff yoke hits the oil pan lip under hard braking... Go bubba!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply