Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering box rebuild fail.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering box rebuild fail.
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 3:58pm
Well I got my ross box rebuilt this last week.  Topped it off with 85-140 gear oil and sure enough ive got a puddle on the shop floor.  Im going to go with John Deere multi luber.  Its a pourable grease which I think will stay around the worm but be thick enough to not leak out.  Now I get to remove everything again so I can turn the box upside down and drain the oil out. 
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 6:48pm
why remove it, looks like it is self emptying..........................

I did use knuckle pudding in mine to stop the leaks which was a little better than pure grease with a zerk which was there before.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 7:24pm
"Rebuilt"? Why does it leak? If someone else rebuilt it for you should take it back to them. If you're going to take it out you might as well fix it right.
On the other hand, if you take out the lower forward side cover bolt, won't it drain? Or is it only the top bolts that go thru?   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

why remove it, looks like it is self emptying..........................

I did use knuckle pudding in mine to stop the leaks which was a little better than pure grease with a zerk which was there before.

Ha!  good point.  I guess I could just add my multi luber untill it pushes all the oil out.  I figure this stuff is pretty close to the consistency of knuckle pudding, maybe a little more flowable.  It comes in a bottle, I was going to screw on one of my quart funnel tips to it and squeeze it in.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

"Rebuilt"? Why does it leak? If someone else rebuilt it for you should take it back to them. If you're going to take it out you might as well fix it right.
On the other hand, if you take out the lower forward side cover bolt, won't it drain? Or is it only the top bolts that go thru?   BW

Bruce I rebuilt it.  I may have damaged the seal.  The first time I rebuilt it I got some of the bad fitting bushings.  Walcks sent me a new set free of charge that I did have to hone to get my new sector shaft to fit.  I thought I was gentle with the seal when I popped it out the first time, I may have damaged it then.
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 7:35pm
I'm needing to do a rebuild on a steering box,but seems all I read is the horror stories and fails,am I wrong?If they are that hard to rebuild correctly,I may just continue frailiing with my old unit.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 11:01pm
Not that hard, really. I've done several with no problems. I can see though, how it could be really easy to damage the seal. The hard parts is getting to be finding good parts. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply