Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super sonic heads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super sonic heads
    Posted: 02 Feb. 2013 at 11:31pm
Did they make a super sonic for the f head? Also wouldn't you get more hp by just taking your original head and grinding out some more material. ( I forget what the actual technical term is)
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2013 at 11:33pm
Milling it down (Also known as shaving the head).. I don't think there was a Supersonic F head.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 12:42am
Nope, the Fheads have no modifications like that. Only way to increase the CR is by decking the head like Bill said.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:18am
The Supersonic engine was a L-head jeep engine used in Kaiser Henry J cars, one of the first econo box cars. The combustion area or squish area is different than a standard Jeep head so simply machineing down a standard head will make a difference but will not be the same, other Supersonic differences are the vacume advance dist and a Yf Carter carb on a different intake manifold, I believe the intake was also used on 4 cyl Jeepsers and DJ Jeeps. Thay did make a Hi compression head for the F head engine I do not know what the differences are.

HTH, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:22am
So if your jeep goes super sonic its just the head but
It could also be a new carb and manifold?
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

The Supersonic engine was a L-head jeep engine used in Kaiser Henry J cars, one of the first econo box cars. The combustion area or squish area is different than a standard Jeep head so simply machineing down a standard head will make a difference but will not be the same, other Supersonic differences are the vacume advance dist and a Yf Carter carb on a different intake manifold, I believe the intake was also used on 4 cyl Jeepsters and DJ Jeeps. Thay did make a Hi compression head for the F head engine I do not know what the differences are.

HTH, Lee

Lee are you sure about the squish area? I have both heads here and can see no difference in them other than the part of the squish that would be removed by the decking process...Perhaps I need to make a mold and see if there is any discernable difference.

Now I have to make sure I have the right distributor too when I make my DJ fly...Wink Already have the carb and manifold......

Edited by F Bill - 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:45am

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:40am
I guess going Supersonic in 2A terms is just the head, I am working on going totally Supersonic with all the goodies, all I need is the carb linkage and I will have all the parts. This spring I plan on running the Jeep several passes of 1/2 mile and timing them, then switching the parts to total Supersonic and running the same 1/2 mile, I will post the process and the results. I would do it now but it's 5 degrees outside and the road is covered with salt, LOL

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:43am
Lee do you need pictures or dimensions from any of my DJ stuff? I don't think I have any extra pieces but I don't think it would be hard to copy.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:48am
F Bill, last I looked I thought the squish area looked smaller on the Kaiser head, I will look again (I have new glasses now), You are most likely correct. Do you have any extra linkage?

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:52am
I think the pivot on the tappet cover is the same as an F head, I do have the parts located but if that does not work out I will get the dimensions from you
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 1:53am
I have spare dist if you need one.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 2:03am
Lee check out my post, going Supersonic, Texas version for pictures of the combustion areas....The squish area IS smaller on SS heads but if you look closely it is the same shape as the 2A chamber MINUS  the shelf area that would be removed in decking..At least to my eyes.

(Sorry , I don't have any extra linkage right now...and I dunno what I have in stock for distributors either, but I will keep your offer in mind..)

porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 8:58am
Before installing my Supersonic head I also did the measurements with a syringe both on the standard and the Ss head.

(The volumes above piston and around valves was smaller than I hade aticipated and did not influence the calculation very much.)
Conclusion was that the compression ratios mentioned in literature and on this forum are correct. I still think the interesting issue is that at least in my case ther was a noticeable addition of hp and in fact nothing negative. E.g idling etc is as nice and calm with the Ss as with the standard head.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2013 at 12:36pm
there is a high altitude f-head cylinder head with a different compression ratio
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
 Post Reply Post Reply