Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Synthetic Gear Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthetic Gear Oil
    Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 1:53am
I have heard that I should not run synthetic gear  oil in my transmission/transfer case if I am running an overdrive. Can anyone explain why?

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 2:02am
Because something in the synthetic will (attack,corrode,damage) the brass parts in them.

PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 2:09am
From a study I did for mine awhile back.

Back to gear oil.

Napa GL1 recommended for three speed and overdrive transmissions.

Part Number: NHF 65201
Napa GL1,Attributes:
Container Size : 1 GAL
Gear Oil Application : GL-1 Manual Rear End
Gear Oil Style Name : GL-1 90 Gear Oil
Gear Oil Weight Rating : 80w90
Manufacturer : Martin Lubricants
Synthetic : No

Another option

Other options are Pennzoil "Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid", made for transmissions with brass parts, or just plain 40 weight non-detergent motor oil.

Farm supply houses should also be of some help.

Do NOT use Napa GL5 Extreame Pressure Differential Lube or anything else that has synthetics in it that will destroy the brass sycronizers.

"The difference between engine oils rated at 40 weight versus gear oils rated at 90 weight is mostly in the test temperature. Engine oils get viscosity tested at 212 °F while gear oils are tested near 70 °F. So, 40 weight engine oil has a viscosity of about 90 weight at 70 °F, thins out to 40 weight when hot."

I think I'm going with the gl1 for mine when the time comes
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 2:24am
Originally posted by john schiefer john schiefer wrote:

I have heard that I should not run synthetic gear  oil in my transmission/transfer case if I am running an overdrive. Can anyone explain why?

Fltfndr
It is irrelevant whether or not there is an overdrive.  Most synthetic gear oil has additives that will eat up the yellow metals in the transmission - bushings and synchronizer rings, for example.  As was stated earlier, just use GL-1 and you will be fine.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 7:05am
On page 10, figure 14 of my "Service Manual for Universal Jeep Vehicles" published by Original Productions of Upland CA the chart shows GL-4 for the transmission and transfer case.

I'm confused...
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 7:16am
The use of GL1 mineral oil is dogma with early Jeep folks. 

My old time Jeep mechanic says, "Run GL4 in it."  I am running GL4 synthetic manual transmission oil in my T-90 and Tcase.

Herm specifically states that you should NOT use synthetics in overdrives, which apparently depend on a certain amount of friction to function. Ask him about it.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 7:46am

How long would it take for the wrong type gear oil to eat up the brass in the transmission? What would the symptoms be of damaged synchronizers due to the oil? 

Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 8:38am
This is one of those whos right and whos not issues i think. I have a buddy thats been a tranny rebuilder most his life, has his own shop and specializes in 4wd stuff a lot and i asked hiom about this and he said that its crazy to use the old gl1 in them. According to him pretty much all manual trannies inc the new stuff have brass parts in them and he has never heard of or had any issues with running the modern lubes. Soo, to each their own, but i filled my 3A with the new stuff...love the mystic red gear lube as its more tacky then some others and i run it in my earth moving equipment and have for years and never had a failure from lube failure and they run hot and work hard. My jeep runs quieter and shifts nicer with it then it did with regular 90w and i drive it regularly winter and summer. It even drips less with the mystic in it, oh and i also run lucas additives in all my stuff...inc the jeep.
So many projects and so little time.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 9:16am
A Friend of mine has a mint 44 GPW and he uses Ams Oil in his gearbox, fully synthetic stuff.

He said the only effect it has on the brass is it discolours the slightly......I'm not sure what lubes will actually dissolve the brass but would be keen to hear from anyone who had major issues.

I am using a Valvoline Mono 50 in my GMC axles, gearbox and transfer case and it seem to be very happy with it.

But I do have a 44 gallon drum of Castrol Syntrax sitting in my shed, its suppossed to be for road rangers etc and is fully synthetic.......a real top grade of oil....can't quite decide if I should try it or not?

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Adrian Adrian wrote:

A Friend of mine has a mint 44 GPW and he uses Ams Oil in his gearbox, fully synthetic stuff.

He said the only effect it has on the brass is it discolours the slightly......I'm not sure what lubes will actually dissolve the brass but would be keen to hear from anyone who had major issues.

I am using a Valvoline Mono 50 in my GMC axles, gearbox and transfer case and it seem to be very happy with it.

But I do have a 44 gallon drum of Castrol Syntrax sitting in my shed, its suppossed to be for road rangers etc and is fully synthetic.......a real top grade of oil....can't quite decide if I should try it or not?

Adrian 

So if its made for roadrangers..which to me a roadranger is a heavy duty truck type tranny like my semi has in it, i can assure you there are brass bushings and snycros in those...so how can it be harmful to brass? If it were in my shed, and was similar viscosity to 90W id be for using it. Biggest issue i would be worried about with it or any synthetic is leaking as it seems they tend to find any and all possible places to leak. My guess is just because they are not as thick when cold.

Edited by kansascat - 22 Apr. 2014 at 2:37pm
So many projects and so little time.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 4:19pm
The reason that GL-1 is dogma with old-time Jeep folks is that is what the actual Willys manuals call for - GL-1 or straight mineral oil.  The symptoms of using the wrong gear oil is that it will dissolve the yellow metals and when you drain some fluid after having used it awhile, the color will be yellow because of the damage /dissolving it has done.  There are a few synthetics that do not have the additives that will damage your transmission, but you have to be a competent chemist to know what ingredients to look for.   Although I took several chemistry courses, I prefer to use what Willys used and what the actual Willys manuals call for - GL-1.  Use whatever you want, but don't come around whining about worn out bushings and synchronizers if it is not GL-1.  Why take a chance?  It is not as though the transmission will benefit in some magical way if you use a more modern gear oil that may or may not have harmful additives.   Sure, some have gotten lucky and found a GL-4 that is safe to use, but there are plenty that are not.  There is at least one other thread here that has discussed this at length along with the stated preference of some members that think they are using a non-distructive GL-4 or whatever.  

I can tell you that I questioned the admonition to use GL-1 only in one of the earlier threads, but became convinced that those who cited the additives that were harmful were, in fact, correct. as well as finding other sources on the Web explaining things.  One such source, not an old Jeep wives tale, is here: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28958/ep-additives-effects

Edited by samcj2a - 23 Apr. 2014 at 2:50pm
Sam

Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 4:58pm
It is the Sulphur Phosphorus added to API-GL4 and ALI-GL5 that can have a wearing effect not a corrosive effect on your brass syncros. However ALI-GL4 has a much reduced amount. Chemical buffers are added to some oils today to counter act this effect. It is said by many that a 10w30 diesel spec engine oil is suitable in many transmissions. I enjoy the subject of lubricationSmile
Just a point to remember, all of you who have had to rebuild an old engine or any part of your now very old drive train that was worn out, it wore out on basic mineral oil and not a modern type oilWink

Edited by Old Boy - 22 Apr. 2014 at 5:00pm
46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Old Boy Old Boy wrote:

. . . .Just a point to remember, all of you who have had to rebuild an old engine or any part of your now very old drive train that was worn out, it wore out on basic mineral oil and not a modern type oilWink 
Not to prolong the discussion, but how would we know what gear oil was in our drive train that was worn out? LOL
Sam

Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 8:10pm
Tongue

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 9:16pm
If the manual specifys GL-1 and GL-1 is available why wouldn't you use it? What would be the benefit of playing Russian Roulette with something different? Maybe it won't damage the yellow parts but why take the risk, what's the upside? Answer; There is no upside.

Larry
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

Not to prolong the discussion, but how would we know what gear oil was in our drive train that was worn out? LOL

Usually, at least with mine, there was water in the gearboxes when I changed the oil.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

The reason that GL-1 is dogma with old-time Jeep folks is that is what the actual Willys manuals call for - GL-1 or straight mineral oil.  The symptoms of using the wrong gear oil is that it will dissolve the yellow metals and when you drain some fluid after having used it awhile, the color will be yellow because of the damage /dissolving it has done.  There are a few synthetics that do not have the additives that will damage your transmission, but you have to be a competent chemist to know what ingredients to look for.   Although I took several chemistry courses, I prefer to use what Willys used and what the actual Willys manuals call for - GL-1.  Use whatever you want, but don't come around whining about worn out bushings and synchronizers if it is not GL-1.  Why take a chance?  It is not as though the transmission will benefit in some magical way if you use a more modern gear oil that may or may not have harmful additives.   Sure, some have gotten lucky and found a GL-4 that is safe to use, but there are plenty that are not.  There is at least one other thread here that has discussed this at length along with the stated preference of some members that think they are using a non-distructive GL-4 or whatever.  

I can tell you that I questioned the admonition to use GL-1 only in one of the earlier threads, but became convinced that those who cited the additives that were harmful were, in fact, correct. as well as finding other sources on the Web explaining things.  One such source, not an old Jeep wives tale, is here: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28958/ep-additives-effects

Link didn't work...

Edited by samcj2a - 23 Apr. 2014 at 3:13pm
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2014 at 10:27pm
I drained mine earlier this evening for it's pre summer service. The modern oil came out without any sign of metal particles, just a little dirtier than it went in last year.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>