Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Draw of it All

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Draw of it All
    Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 1:13am
I believe I have started to understand some of my jeep affinity.  I can't call it an addiction as I own only one.  Working on the jeep allows me to do many things: commune with the memory of my father (who hated cars), build with my son on occasion, and do mindless manual work.  I have also found that it is the engineering of things, problem solving, that is so fulfilling.  I have started another chapter of this project that I will start to post on soon.  I have found that I am compelled to building mechanical things in the jeep, planning them to be simple, but the rarer the better.  I have prided my self on always being able to change my jeep back to stock if I choose, this means everything that I do must be able to be readily undone.  This is relatively hard to do, which makes it even more enticing to me.  What I am saying is that it is about the journey not the destination.  Don't get me wrong I love my little jeep and don't want him to be down for maintenance or experimentation while I could be out driving now that he is fully functioning (knock, knock).      

Edited by 52 M38 - 09 Mar. 2015 at 1:15am
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 5:38am
Originally posted by 52 M38 52 M38 wrote:

...  Don't get me wrong I love my little jeep and don't want him to be down for maintenance or experimentation while I could be out driving now that he is fully functioning (knock, knock).      

This is why you need another Jeep to tinker with while you drive the first one. Another Jeep is the best solution to this problem. Smile
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 6:05am
I'm not sure my emotional stability could handle another Willys until this one is done. Trying to figure out who to order what from and how to justify $16.00 shipping to get 6 ounces of parts that cost $15.00 is starting to get to me.

Its only the idea that one day the key will turn and the noise will come and the sun light will hit the tailgate and the smile on my face will look like Grandpa just got every toy he ever wanted for Christmas.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 6:49am
Emotional stability?!? What or who is that? Help me out here, Mark!

The rest can be addressed by "Its only money"!

"Its only the idea that one day the key will turn and the noise will come and the sun light will hit the tailgate and the smile on my face will look like Grandpa just got every toy he ever wanted for Christmas."

Keep that idea in you head constantly, else you may get discouraged.

Hang in there buddy! As Red Green said, "We're all in this together".Smile
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 9:07am
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Originally posted by 52 M38 52 M38 wrote:

...  Don't get me wrong I love my little jeep and don't want him to be down for maintenance or experimentation while I could be out driving now that he is fully functioning (knock, knock).      

This is why you need another Jeep to tinker with while you drive the first one. Another Jeep is the best solution to this problem. Smile
Thumbs Up
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 3:12pm
I know how you’re feeling.

I went through a period of major withdrawal when I completed my rebuild in 2012.  It was quickly apparent that spending time on the forums was not going to be enough to fill the void.  

I bought a couple more Willys, only to find my first rebuild still keeps me busy fixing stuff I screwed up to begin with.Unhappy  With a Willys or two, there always seems to be something to tinker with.

Tim

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 3:21pm
I know what you mean.  I still have a long ways to go on mine.  It would be nice to have even an old klunker that ran just to give my a willys fix.  I have my eye one one down the road from the house.  I need to go knock on the door one saturday and see if it can be bought.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 3:45pm
Being a "tinkerholic" like the rest of you guys I endured that painful withdrawl when I finished
my M38 project, cold sweats, fever, shakes and staggers. There's always one or 2 loose bolts,
a squeak here and there to get me by but nothing like the full scale binge of a new project.
Another Jeep?? I'm not sure I can afford to feed more than one..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 3:54pm
I do like to work on my Willys, but would rather be driving it.

These projects seem, to me, to progress in fits and starts -  you tinker with some sub-assemby for a bit or find something that needs to be re-done, solve the problem or have an "Ah ha!" moment and make some progress.

Big tasks can go smoothly, and small tasks can get complicated.

I installed my drive train in the chassis this past weekend, now I am trying to find a clutch pedal shaft key…

'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 3:55pm

The cost of feeding another one would be steep...so my wife says.  Like I said above, I have found a solution for the need to tinker for now.  I will post some pictures when I can. 

Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 4:00pm
I love the simplicty, and have been around old jeeps my whole life.

Other day needed to pull the head off engine.. 15 min, I'm done.  Replacing head gaskets on my truck?  2 weeks of near constant work...

It's nice to work on the jeep after trying to keep all the family vehicles on the road.
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 4:54pm
I have two. One that runs, (a '48 wagon) and one that doesn't. (A '46 salad cj2a). When I get depressed about the Cj, I can take the wagon for a spin and at least feel good.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 5:43pm
When I was 35 years younger the only 4x4 that appealed to me was a Landrover, everybody had one and so I went out and brought a 1958 very beaten up (cheapLOL)  Series One ....It was rubbish but on my minimal apprentice's pay it was all I could afford.

Now my plans to use it to take me to lots of hunting spots were doomed as it seemed every Friday it would decide it was happier to stay in my garage all weekend having developed yet another major oil leak or major malfunction.

Man did I learn how to pull one of those things apart, everything on it was worn out and my entire life seemed to be revolving around going to the parts shop and then fitting those bits.......

Now finally after about 3 years of tinkering with it I decided I hated the bloody thing and I sold it.

The guy that brought it never put a spanner anywhere near it and thought it was the best vehicle ever made.

The moral of all this was even though I grew to hate the horrible thing I should have kept it and then had something that I could have just turned the key and used with no problems.

What did I do then, went out and brought a 1978 Diesel Landrover and ended up doing the same thing all over again.

So now at 50 years old I have my US toys, the Jeep has been a very long rebuild but I know I will get years of fun using it.

Looking back I learnt a hell of a lot working on the Landrovers, I could not afford to take it anywhere near a proper garage and had to do everything myself.

Now I do things better and my advise to those part way into a rebuild, stick with it, do it as best you can but most of all see it through and get the reward of all your hard work....don't sell it...as suggested by other members get yourself another project if you like having greasy hands every weekendSmile.

I do.......

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
tomahawk715 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2015 at 11:42pm
It's a monument to your manhood to bring one of these back from the dead! You never stood in awe of an old mortise and tenon hay barn and marveled at the craftsmanship and work it took to build it. Well I have and I'll never build one more than likely. But after I'm gone someone will still be driving my jeeps with a smile on their face.

Down at my buddies place they have almost 600 acres of hunting/keeping land. All we do is spend weekends working and driving jeeps around (with camp fires shooting and drinking of soda pops wink wink thrown in). The one camp jeep is still known as Bills jeep. He restored it with his blood sweat and tears. He's been gone for decades and we still call it Bills jeep--even though countless guys have wrenched on in since.

That's what I hope for-- bunch of people sitting around a fire 50 years from now saying--yeah that's franks jeep. Guess it was falling in half when he bought it. Wouldn't know it now eh. Damn he was a good dude. You remember hearing the story about how those guys............
If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong???
Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2015 at 8:35pm
I started out riding in a CJ-5 of my uncles when I was really young.  My first Jeep was a 98 Wrangler that the wife and I got married in.  The love of that Jeep brought me to research the old Jeeps.  I started looking at the MB/GPW but quickly found that I didn't really like those as much as the 2A/3A's. 

So I ended up buying about 10 Jeeps over a 10 year period with the grand idea that I was going to build one from the ground up.  I quickly decided that I much prefer the driving experience to the work and sold off everything but the running 46.  

I drove it for two years and did a lot of maintenance work to it and finally got tired of it even.  So now I drive a Polaris Ranger around here and have ordered a 15 Wrangler 2 door with half doors to drive daily. 

My hat is off to you guys who have the talent and patience to build one from the bottom up....I sure as heck never will!

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2015 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Jared1956 Jared1956 wrote:

My hat is off to you guys who have the talent and patience to build one from the bottom up....I sure as heck never will!

That is the problem.  I have cleaned it up so much there is almost nothing left to tinker with.  I went out to the barn and it fired right up, INSTANTLY...the nerve.  Went for a great drive, stopped and saw the neighbor who stated that Sparky couldn't be better. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2015 at 11:49pm
Two fatal sicknesses are: Green disease ( Rick G has this) and Jeep Disease. I have both. Count is up to 9. Looking at 10 Saturday. He who dies with the most Jeeps -------------is just having fun. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 7:12pm
I don't know what Green Disease is, but I don't think Jeep Disease is fatal. I think it is the opposite, whatever that is. I'm retired, and I like to always have something to do- having a CJ 2 a fulfills that need. Scabby, my 48, is rough, but useable. There is always something I can work on, and I have an 85 CJ 7 that I can (usually) count on if I need some drive time when Scabby is down. Heck, just seeing the two of them out there waiting is often good enough.
I've put lots of money and time into both, and you'd hardly know it by looking, and that's fine by me.

Not wanting to disagree with anyone, just my perspective.Smile
Rick Estes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>