Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The lights went out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westernbronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The lights went out
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 10:26pm
This is you you all to get a kick out of.

I took possession of my 49 not to long go.  Been working hard to take the Bubba mods off and repairing a lot of things that time broke (breaks, fuel system, ect).  So I have been working my confidence up to take the 10 mile drive into work. Smile

I pull the old girl out of the barn this chilly 47 degree morning and headed out on a moonless morning drive.  I got within 2 miles, hit a bump, all the lights went darkShocked with the exception of the turn signal kit that is on the jeep.  Its dark.  I finished the 2 miles with the left blinker on so I can kinda see whats in front of me at a much slower speed.  

I got into the office, overheard a few conversations like "you would not believe the crazy sight i seen this morning.  Some guy was driving a jeep with the blinker on and no head lights"

So moral of the story.  I still have work ahead of me before any more non-daylight adventures.

Also, it is Dam cold that early.  I need to get cracking at making my soft top.

fireguyfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireguyfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 11:07pm
Great story; sounds like a ground issue
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 11:10pm
I got pulled over for driving mine at night with no headlights.  And I mean NO headlights, there weren't any physically present on the jeep  haha!!   The officer's got a kick out of it, and I just got a fix-it ticket, so it was all good.  :D
2a #40500
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 12:16am
The best comeback I ever heard of is to walk around to the front of the Jeep and pull out a Zippo lighter. Flick it, hold it against the headlight and say----------By golly officer you are right!LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Westernbronco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westernbronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 1:18am
That is a great comeback..  LOL.  I will have to remember that.

Its not a ground issue.  More like a short.  The Electrical Bubba found this Jeep.  I have never seen so many wires for something so simple.   The fuse for the lights was blown.  I put a new fuse in and it blew instantly.  

I will have to get some pics when the light is better.  But to give you an Idea, under the dash there is a bank of breakers, a fuse panel, a terminal strip, and more loose wires than I care to count.  Running to the back of the Jeep, there is 2 weather tight boxes with terminal strips in them for the tail lights.  Needless to say they are all coming out.  It was next on the list anyway.

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 5:31am
I have a set of driving lights just behind the front bumper for just that issue. The Jeep head light switch has a circuit breaker on it and if anything shorts out the lights go out. I just have to flip the switch for the driving lights until the other lights come on. I have always been leery of getting out on a trail near dark or after dark and the lights fail.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 20 Sep. 2014 at 5:33am
Life is only as good as you make it.
waytay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waytay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 6:08am
if your interested jc whitney has complete wiring harnesses for jeepcj2a
watay
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 10:08am
For the headlights and parking lights, there should be only the one circuit breaker/fuse mounted on the switch. The dimmer switch is the only other device in the line. More than that is overkill and unnecessarily complicates a simple system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westernbronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 1:28pm
Thanks scoutpilot for the diagram and yes, the previous owner made this very over complicated.

Like I said.  Bubba got a hold of the wiring.  There is no foot dimmer.  The light switch runs all.  No breaker on the back side.  Just glass tube fuses on the fire wall.  If you pull the switch out to the first position you get running lights and low beams.  Pull out to the second position you get high beams w/running light.  Here is the best part.  The head lights are keyed to the ignition switch.  The switch runs a series of relays (3 out of 5 have power supplied but nothing on the other side).  

I'm working on getting some pictures on here.  Its a new to me laptop.  I don't have the right program on here for resizing pictures to get them small enough.

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 1:33pm
There are versions of this for PC and MAC. http://www.webresizer.com/
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 1:59pm
It really sounds like you need to just go for it and rewire.. While fuses are a good idea the glass ones are old tech and may not hold up on the trail. If you are not into originality just buy the right gage wiring for each circuit and some good connectors for the end and have at it. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the Walcks or other specialty harnesses...JCW  harnesses would scare me......but I haven't actually seen one so I might be wrong.

Check out the faq section in my signature for a post by Sean on wiring... He has some great diagrams for our jeeps you can look at. (And also some turn signal stuff)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westernbronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2014 at 5:02pm
Thanks scoutpilot.  I will have to give that a try later on this evening.

F Bill - after further looking at what I have, I am going to do a complete rewire.  Most of the harness is in pretty rough shape (outside of what Bubba has worked on).  There is some of the original harness that is left on the headlights and running lights.   I am skilled enough to make my own.  I make machine panels at work from time to time.  I will look at the post, see if I can save a little time for wire size and fuse size.  I was hoping to do this when i get ready to rework the body.  But I think I will have to do something short term so I can enjoy it for the rest of the warm weather.

Here is a quick Pick of the good side LOL Post removing the homemade plow mount and some weird electric / hydro controls that were mounted where the tool box floor should be.  The dash is pretty hacked up, along with the floor.  The back of the tub is very week as well.  The original color was red.  I am the 3rd owner.  The second owner is a good friend of mine.  He got all the original paperwork that was available (about a 2" ring binder worth).  There will be more to come.  Need to brush up on my body work skills for this old girl.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2014 at 5:50am
That's a great looking jeep. What size tires are those? Good luck with the rewire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Westernbronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2014 at 1:10pm
They are 7.50 x 16's.

They rub like crazy, and they really hurt the turning radius.  But I'm going to get my use out of them.  

I am actually thinking about getting a second set of rims and tires.  Something with more offset so I can run a bigger tire when I want to go wheeling.  Small pizza cutters for bombing around town.  But I am a long ways away from that.  
 Post Reply Post Reply