Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thermastat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermastat
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:16pm
hey guys, can running my l134 with out a thermastat hurt my motor. it just died on me an will not start for nothing.i got spark,new cap,points,rotor an fuel.my timing mark is right on the money at TDC. ANY INFO will help 
snake eyes 42
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:23pm
A thermostat will have no effect on starting. all it can do or not do is change the temp the engine runs at. And an engine will run at anywhere from 0 to 212 degrees without any extra measures (colder if proper oil or pre heating is used. Hotter if the cooling system is under pressure)

Timing should be at 5 BTDC

If you have spark at the plugs and your timing is close to correct and a Fuel/Air mixture is being delivered to the cylinders when it should the only thing left is compression.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
GB- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:27pm
NO thermostat should not damage motor.  If you have fuel and spark then you are looking for harder stuff, like is distributor turning.  Spray a little starter fluid in to see make sure you have fuel.  Put wire buy a plug and see if it sparks in about the right time.
jerrymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 5:00pm
i did a compression test on it. i got 90,88,75.90 on the motor.that should start it.it was running like a champ then all of a sudden just turned off on me. very weird. how can i tell if it jump time on me with out taking it apart.  
snake eyes 42
jerrymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 5:03pm
i tried starter fluid also still nothing turned the distributor while cranking nothing. could it b bad gas. i just put gas the day before.   
snake eyes 42
jerrymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 5:05pm
very very odd. motor did not smoke ran very good.
snake eyes 42
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 6:56pm
Is the fuel and fuel system clean. Even a small piece of debris could clog the fuel flow.

But it sounds like an electrical problem to me...
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Old Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 10:26am
Check to see if your valves are moving. Best of luck fixing it!

46 CJ2A 29488, Harvest Tan, Sunset red wheels.

99 TJ.

2015 Ford Kuga Ecoboost.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 3:55pm
Might want to check for mosture in the cap, seems odd but I have had this issue twice while running without a thermostat.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:28pm
The thermostat really regulates the flow of water to the radiator, but it also keeps the engine warm enough to burn off moisture in the oil.  Maybe without a thermostat the combustion chambers are not getting hot enough to burn off excess moisture and what not?????  How do the spark plugs look?
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 5:03pm
Pull a plug and leave connected to plug wire crank the motor...while holding plug with pliers close to block or ground... see if you have a spark between plug and block..if not start working your way back.distro.. coil etc...hope ya get her going..
had my 2A quit going down the road...coil wire  in distro burned out...
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
AbeCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 3:53am
I ran for years with no thermostat with no problems.  Just doesn't warm up as quickly as it should, but it'll run fine.

If you have spark and timing is right, then probably carb issue.  Or loss of compression maybe?
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 3:27pm
remove the distributor cap and crank the engine to see if the distributor is turning, if its not turning the tab at the base of the distributor is sheared off or the oil pump gear is striped or the cam , hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply