Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing and fire breathing carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing and fire breathing carb
    Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 10:16am
I have a 48 cj2a with the L-134 and I need help figuring out the timing on it.   I had it running last week and even drove it across town but after a friends dad helped out it wil only run with a small burst of starting fluid and and holding my left pinky finger up then it abruptly dies    I know where the marks are in the fly wheel that is 180 off and find TDC on #2 I just can't seem get get it run and stay running and breaks my heart because I've been riding in this jeep since I was 3 weeks old so please please help me out because I miss driving this old jeep
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 10:29am
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 10:40am
I have not     Time to fidget!!!
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 10:43am
How do I tell if the points are open or closed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 11:07am
The "points" are two small metal discs. One is fixed to the base and the other is on the moveable arm. When they are touching, they are closed.
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 11:30am
Okay.   So how do I take the cover off to expose them?   And thank you for your help thus far

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 11:40am
Look at the distributor cap...If you are going to be doing this right away, it might be better and easier if you call me and I talk you through it. 33six-9six3-3six05.
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2014 at 11:46am
If your okay with this early then sweet
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2014 at 12:08am
Talking about points one can time them statically with nothing more than a circuit tester. When the light just goes out turn the distributor to match the desired timing on the flywheel or front pulley depending on what system is used. If its 180* out simply swap the leads opposite each other.

The symptoms sound like a blocked idle passage in the carb not points although that can contribute. Also watch out for that infamous metal disc fuel filter. Well known for sucking in air instead of fuel. Not forgetting the fuel pump. Seen the diaphragm lever worn down not allowing the diaphragm to move. (That was on an old International K5). That was tricky.
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2014 at 4:21am
Well the filter is the little Fram clear plastic one and the carb is a very freshly re built carter and the fuel pump has since died and is getting replaced in a couple hours   Also thank you guys for the help I can't tell you how amazing it feels to hear this old devil run again
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2014 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Chris117 Chris117 wrote:

... I had it running last week and even drove it across town but after a friends dad helped out it wil only run with a small burst of starting fluid ...

Undo whatever he did.  What did he do?
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 2:19pm
Well as it turns out you can NOT put the distributor in 180 off and to fix it I wired the plugs up backwards using #2 as my starting plug and for timing     So now old lefty runs again now my big question is why is my jeep a lefty because I thought some one stuck the spare on he wrong side of the jeep but from what I can see it's supposed to be on the drivers side so.... Why did they make leftys from the factory?   
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2014 at 3:16pm
Chris,
When I asked the Lefty question way back when, I got an answer from our old friend westforkboyd. One of his  jeeps was/is named Lefty.

"One question from the horses mouth answered for you. In April -May of 1948 Willys decided to mount the spare tire on the Left side of the CJ-2A rather than the right side as all the other ones are. They only did that for a short time span and produced about 10,000 of them that way. Hence the name Lefty. There is a definate serial number range these were produced through. Then they reconsidered and went back to the right mounted spare. Searching "lefty" will reveal some reasons for this experiment."

Here's a link to the entire thread where several of my questions were answered.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2014 at 2:33am
Talking about lefty. Its actually ideal solution for me in Australia as having the wheel on the right hand side is a recipe for a collision here with an oncoming vehicle. Its hard enough to drive a LH vehicle in a RHD country without worrying about where the spare is as well....
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
Chris117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2014 at 3:00am
I can dig it man haha
 Post Reply Post Reply