Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2009 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Jeff,
I can get some measurements tomorrow, also dlbensinger has them for $300.
I think I can make one for less than $100
......The new tow bars with retractable arms are a much better way to go. ......
Where do they attach if they don't attach to the bumper, i.e. frame horns.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2009 at 10:30pm
I believe drawings of the original Military tow bar and installation instructions are available for purchase from the MVPA Archive. (about 5 bucks a page?) contact Tom Wolboldt, xstuff@juno.com
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 1:00am
Russ, What Tow Bar are you refering to?
Jeff, Let me know if you need help...My Military Tow Bar is out in the shed awaiting restoration. I got mine for about 200.00 on Ebay several years ago.
I was trying to remember where I had seen the drawings in the past...Jon Rogers is probably it...
No Worries
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 2:27am
I like my REESE towbar.  I gave $25 used for it.  Look at your local jeep club page, I bet someone has outgrown flat towing and has one they would give up cheap - if no one here does.
1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:16am
Howard, These are the tow bars I was thinking of.

http://www.blueox.us/Towbars/towbars.htm

They allow for movement of the arms so all the stress of turning is not transferred to the frame horns/bumper.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
GaryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:52am
I have flat towed with this homemade towbar (was on the Jeep when we got it from my father-in-law) for for a total of 700 miles, at highway speeds, no problem (ALWAYS have a good safety chain of course).

Gary Hoffman

GaryH
7jeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7jeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 4:03am
Those bar arms only move for storage and hook-up, they lock in place during towing. Flat towing a CJ is really not that stressful on the frame, they follow along really well. The important part is to make sure the jeep can handle the speed you want to travel. Tragg
jefisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 4:21am
DaveyK01, 

I bet you thought you were asking a simple question.  There is no such thing in Willys World.

The answer depends on what your looking for.  I built a basic short-haul set-up that does not corrupt the front bumper.  It looks OK & the biggest expense was the beer. 

fisch

We have met the enemy and he is us!

#53500 (aka 194738)
http://picasaweb.google.com/swampfisch
jamesholden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 6:02am
the old acme towbars are around check your local cl, 50-100. they look original.  have a local welder, that you trust fab it and chose your own design and hitch. 18526 had a nice setup. the hitch slid front to back to lock no always getting stuck flip up.  i have always flat towed never broke the front off a jeep yet. honestly, look at the size and weight of tow vehicles. i have never seen a blue ox on a flatty around here, they use them on tj and crvs. as for stress, maybe im new to towing but the front wheels dont lock and i have never tied off a steering wheel on a jeep. the wheels turn with the tow vehicle, they track well and never had a problem backing up.

Edited by jamesholden - 10 Dec. 2009 at 6:10am
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 1:56pm
Seems I remember reading over on the G about guys having issues using the tandem tow bar to flat tow a jeep. I could be wrong but well worth the research if somebody is considering this option.

Back in April I was wanting to get rid of 'brackets' welded to my bumper for the tow bar but I didn't want to give up flat towing capibility. So I put up a thread asking for ideas of a more concealed method of attaching a tow bar.

m38mike posted a pic of a completely bolt on tow bar. I've since converted my tow bar to the same method and it works great. Here is the pic Mike posted.

Edited by Scott R - 10 Dec. 2009 at 1:58pm
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:20pm
Thanks Russ, I see now. These things are getting rather fancy...
Scott, I believe you are correct with reference to using the Tandem Tow Bar as a flat tow bar...I can not recall the conversation...
Sure are a bunch of good answers to this question...here is the one I have for my CJ. The best feature for me is that the darned thing folds up for storage...This one is labeled Draw-tite...I think it may be the same as Reese's?? My bumper is not an original and is a little heavier gauge metal...(not that it matters for towing) the 4, 1/4" mount bolts holding the bumper to the frame horn gussets are grade 8 and a pipe spacer is on all four bolts. The brackets are mounted on the bumper with grade 5, 1/2" bolts, one of them goes directly between the two stock 5/16" holes from the frame horn bracket. So I lose a little of the stock look if I leave the tow bar brackets on the bumper....Overkill...I am sure...
Good Day.

Edited by Howard - 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:28pm
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

52 M100 K1119
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:48pm
Here is the article from the g503.  There is both pro and con.

I do not understand how a tandem towbar connected to the frame horns would be any more stressfull on the frame horns and springs/shackles than a conventional towbar bolted to the bumper which is bolted to the frame horns.  To turn the vehicle you are still putting the stresses on the same areas.  The only slight difference that I can see in the two is that the tandem bar does not rigidly connect the two frame horns together since each hinge is connected to its respective frame horn.  This can easily be remedied by connecting the frame horns together by some other method.  (steel bar/ pipe or something)Image

Maybe there is a weight issue?

Edited by jpet - 10 Dec. 2009 at 3:49pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 4:23pm

I've been delaying my post on this subject because I wanted to give you pictures and dimensions, but I guess they will come later.

The only issue I am aware of with the Military tow bay is that it is very short. When you make sharp corners at parking lot speeds you will drag the front wheels sideways, and depending on tire load, inflation, hitch height, caster etc, the front wheels may actually rotate opposite the turn due to inadequate "self aligning torque".

I also have an older valley "Tow-Rite" that I have almost 10K miles of flatfender flat towing with.

The most versatile I have actually clamps around the bumper so no holes are required.

The folding bar Howard displayed worries me because I have had hardware loosen-up on bumpy roads. No adjustable tow bars for me...
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 5:23pm
Adjustable Tow Bar...Good point, WM. The manufacturer has welded studs at all four nuts on this Fulton Class 3 Coupler, no bolts. Then they use a crimped style lock nut with a double thick flat washer that has sharp teeth on the contact side to secure the coupler to the legs. So they were concerned about the legs coming loose too. Especially if you were to loosen and tighten the nuts often as the locking features of the hardware would wear out...I keep this one hanging in the garage, my wife and my friends know where it is and have been instructed on what to bring with it if I call them for emergency roadside assistance with the CJ in the field. No question that a rigid framed bar would be a better choice for regular use.
If I decide to actually use this bar on a regular basis...welding it solid might not be a bad idea.

Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

52 M100 K1119
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 5:55pm

I've hijacked this thread for long enough.  I'm going for it

Tandem Towbar
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 1:58am
Longer tow bars pull better I was always told, that tandem bar is realllly short which may make it less behaved towing.  IE when you hit a large bump.

Mine is pretty long, but it tows great, and I have even backed it up on occasion when the conditions were right.

1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416
DaveyK01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyK01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 1:32pm
Yes, I did! Smile

I see these tow bars on almost every CJ jeep; so I wanted one.  Hopefully the General will be back together by April and ready to hit the road again.  If want to take it with us any great distance though, we would have to tow it behind the X-Unlimited.  Also, knowing who the primary mechanic on this adventure it (me), it probably should be a requirement.

I opened a can of worms it seems.  I thought there was one type and that was it; they all looked alike to me.  I see now they are not and I have a lot of reading.  I have had several PM offering to see me one for like $50, but each one requires driving 2 hours or more to Alentown, which puts me in Walcks back yard and that is a danger !!!!  I am preparing a seal and gasket and misc order for Walcks in two weeks, maybe I can work something out and meet a seller there and get my walcks parts in the same day; I donno know what to do know except keep reading.

Right now priority it to get the seals and gaskets, Bed Liner for the underside, engine oil, gear oil and then the tow bar.  For the tow bar, it seems the choices are almost unlimited, but the cheaper the better. heh heh heh

Originally posted by jefisch jefisch wrote:

DaveyK01, 

I bet you thought you were asking a simple question.  There is no such thing in Willys World.

The answer depends on what your looking for.  I built a basic short-haul set-up that does not corrupt the front bumper.  It looks OK & the biggest expense was the beer. 

Dave
jeepfreek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 3:20pm
hi jpet.did you ever get the measurements you needed .regards jim.
cj2a-6,mb-7,cj5-1,m38-3,m38a1-5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>