Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing & speedo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing & speedo
    Posted: 07 June 2012 at 5:49pm
When towing 4 down, I was told, the front hubs are disconnected, trans in gear, trans case in "N", steering wheel tied to hold center. I have towed about 3,000 miles and it is recorded on the speedo. What do you do to stop the mileage running up, and is this the correct way you would tow? And do you put the window down on the hood?
warbrds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbrds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:14pm
I have only towed mine on a trailer, but I do put the windshield down, less chance of a rock chip, less wind resistance, a little more secure when going down the road at 60 or so......

On other vehicles I have towed on their wheels I have just disconnected the speedo cable
Mark
1946 CJ2A

"When you're out of Sixes, you're out of Interceptors"
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:49pm
You should remove the driveshaft and That will stop the speedo from turning and Your t-case will be better off. I read a article that said the Dana18 was never meant to turn more then 60mph, So if I were flat towing I would keep my speed around 55, unless the driveshaft was removed. 
Mark 47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 5:10pm
I have herd of driveline disconnects and puting locking hubs on the rear. I tryed to look them up to see how they work? no luck yet! Has anyone removed the rear driveshaft and tryed to move the Willys by putting it in 4 wheel using just the front wheels to move it?? When you remove the shaft, where do you put it and not mess-up, lose the bearings? Will oil run out the rear of the transfer case, do you plug it?
    Thank you !
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 5:16pm
What I do is use electrical tape and tape the axle end of the driveshaft to keep the ujoint caps from falling off and then I zip tie it up to the frame and Ive never had any problems this way.  Since The T-case has a flange style output shaft It doesn't leak any oil when you pull the driveshaft.

The locking hub thing on the rear is called a Full floater swap. It can be done on the Dana 41 and Dana 44, I believe Herm the overdrive guy has a kit to do it.

Ive removed my rear driveshaft completely and Ive driven it around the house with front wheel drive only, Its fun but the steering is crazy.

Edited by Dez - 08 June 2012 at 5:19pm
Mark 47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 6:14pm
I have asked this question and been tolded at gas stops all different ways I should be towing 4 down, that is why I asked here as all of you have about the same Willys and set-up. I have been reading the form here and have found lots of INFO. I will be replaceing the rear houseing gasket because of leaks, and now see the zerk fittings at the back of the backing plate to grease the wheel bearings (that was good I found the INFO) So towing at 50 to 55 mph for 6 hrs would heat up the rear good and hot?? I will get a spare set of u bolts & nuts and start removing the rear diff.
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 6:47pm
I flat towed my willys from salt lake utah to wyoming 300miles and I drove 75-80mph all the way home and checked the diff occasionally. It never got very warm if at all. I Did make sure it had fluids and I made sure I greased the wheel bearings.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 7:38pm
The locking hub thing on the rear is called a Full floater swap. It can be done on the Dana 41 and Dana 44, I believe Herm the overdrive guy has a kit to do it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
He does not have this for the 10 spline and wouldn't even consider it on a custom base as he would have to charge too much for set up.  I posted a survey on this hoping we might get 10-20 interested for herm to do it but no luck.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
vuldub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2016 at 9:04pm
Just an FYI.  Herm sells 19 and 30 spline full floater kits.  If you want to use  the 19 spline you just need to swap out the side gear set in the differiential carrier from the original 10 spline to 19 spline.  The axle hub end is 27spline so you can use most any free wheel hub or buy Herms 27 spline drive flange.  But the drive flange defeats the purpose of being able to unlock the hubs.  
Regards...Wes ('52 M38)
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2016 at 10:58pm
Mark, I flat towed my M38 from Colorado to Alaska.  I completely removed the rear driveshaft including the universal joints.  I unlocked the front hubs, put the transfer case in N, and put the transmission in N.  I made sure the tires were balanced and the air was the same all around so they would be less likely to wobble.  When I needed to drive it on the trip, I simply locked in the front hubs and put the tranny and transfer in gear.  I kept the windshield down for most of the trip.  But going up the Al-Can highway back then (1979) coated everything with mud.  I wished I would have put up the top to protect the insides.  After several hours with a hose and brush it was clean again.  I put the rear drive shaft back in and it was ready to go.  I towed it between 60 and 65 mph most of the way.  I checked all lube points before and after the trip.  No lingering problems. 

I still flat tow it for short distances, say 100 miles or less.  But now I have trailers I can use for longer trips and higher speeds.  Good luck with your flat towing.  Some of my friends here in CO do it all the time with no problems.  It certainly saves weight on the tow vehicle. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
vuldub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2016 at 11:21pm
Mike. This post is four years old. I posted an update regarding Herms full float kit. I think the original poster has dealt with flat towing by now but maybe some one just starting out needs some help.
Regards...Wes ('52 M38)
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 12:23am
I don't look good in a Speedo.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
JohnB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 1:57am
So tie down the steering wheel or let it loose when flat towing?
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 2:04am
Bungee. Leaves a little steering correction, but wont let the wheels get crossed up. Had that happen years ago when turning through an intersection with a dip in the middle.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 2:51am
I have a full floater on the rear (D41) and Warn internal hubs with premium lockers. I have made trips towing 1000 miles or more at highway speeds. No problems. Do bungee the steering wheel.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
vuldub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 6:48pm

Ok, since this post has been resurrected, I will fill in some thoughts.  I searched high and low for input when I put my full floater kit in my M38 and couldn't find some answers. 

What I did:

·         -Pulled the 10 spline semi float axles out.

·         -Swapped out 10 spline side gears in carrier for 19spline set (included new spider gears and thrust washers).  Carrier removal straightforward – didn’t need to adjust shims or pull pinion gear.

·         -New axles are 19spline on inside and 27spline on outside.

·         -New axle does not have c-clips – it floats freely  

·         -Installed new spindles on the axle tube ends.  

·         -Old zerk grease fitting no longer required.  

·         -New grease seal at end of axle tube keeps rear end fluid away from new hub.

·         -New wheel hub mounts on the spindle.  Bearings and hub similar to front setup.  

·         -New 27 spline  hub locks  mount on end to provide lock/unlock for flat towing.  

Regards...Wes ('52 M38)
vuldub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuldub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by pjensen641 pjensen641 wrote:

Bungee. Leaves a little steering correction, but wont let the wheels get crossed up. Had that happen years ago when turning through an intersection with a dip in the middle.
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

Do bungee the steering wheel.
What do you secure the bungee to?
Regards...Wes ('52 M38)
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2016 at 10:39pm
What I remember seeing back in the mid 1970's was probably an MB with full floater rear axle with Warn hubs on it. He flat towed from California to Calgary Alberta Canada.  Said it worked real good!  Warn hubs on all four!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>