Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission mounting
    Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 12:41am
Trying to mount my rebuilt t90 to motor and having trouble. The trans is about an inch from linking up with bell housing. (Bell housing is connected to motor). I used a clutch alignment tool, it is a brand new clutch. It looks like the shaft is into the spline of the clutch disk.... I am not due how to get it to fully seat. I would post pictures but I am in iPhone.
Jordan
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:32am
Jordan it sounds like you are not getting the very end of the input shaft into the pilot bushing. You must get everything aligned pretty dead straight the get it in all the way.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:43am
Jordan,

I am assuming you are reinstalling the same transmission that came out of this Jeep.

A few things you might try.

1. You might need to turn the transmission input shaft or the crank shaft on the engine - to get the clutch to line up with the spline on the input shaft (you only need to turn one or the other - I usually turn the input shaft).  

2.  Your approach angle needs to be lined up.  If you come to high or to low it will not slide on.  Once you get the angle correct and the spline lined up - rock the engine side to side while trying to push it in.

Bob
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 2:34am
Hey there Jordan, it is most important that you don't panic - Willys can sense fear in their owners and they love to take a small problem and turn it into a disaster. Like having the input shaft stuck in the pilot bushing so the clutch won't work. Since we all have been where you are there are a bunch of threads in the search engine with good ideas. If you lived in South Texas I would suggest that immediately buy a transmission jack (as I have always wanted to know someone who had one I could borrow). Have fun
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 2:56am
I just put my transmission in and was having problem lining them up so I got two bolts that are
the same size as the mounting bolts that came out but around 6" long and cut the heads off
to make a set of guild pins. They will also help when your trying to install the folk that your
behind the throw out bearing and hooks up to the cable. If you drop it the pins will let you move the
transmission back a bit without losing your alignment.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
jscheiner.09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 1:08pm
Thank you for all the help everyone. I am hoping it just is the angle of the transmission going into the bushing. (I can post a picture soon but it is already into the clutch plate.) would it be a good idea to put a level on the motor, get that leveled completely, then do the same for the transmission ? Also, should I take the bell housing from the engine and mount it to the trans ?

Long story short I've been doing a frame off restoring this cj 2 for my dad as a gift for about 5 months. Almost got the tub back on, just can't do that until this is settled! I am 25 years old and this is my first build, my mechanical knowledge is minimal compared to most people On this forum. I will post build pictures soon.
Thanks ! I will try some of these things tonight and hopefully it wiggles in.
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 2:27pm
Jordan I don't think you really need the level. just look at the gap between the bell housing and the trans. and make sure it is even top to bottom and side bye side and then with some wiggling it should slide in.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 3:14pm
Getting the transmission to line up and slide in is an exercise in patience and persistence. If  you are certain that your clutch/pressure plate/bushing are all lined up properly (you said you used an alignment tool so they should be),  then in my experience, it's a matter of laying on your back, then wiggling and pushing, and pushing and wiggling, often to the point where you are sure that something is not right and then... you hit the sweet spot and it slides in and you wonder what the heck you did, but mostly you are just thankful that you are done.

Sometimes I get my feet up on there and let them do the wiggling and pushing because my arms feel like they will fall off any second.

Making alignment pins out of long bolts is a really good idea.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 4:00pm
guide studs are a great idea and you had the alighnment tool in place next pop the trans in gear and when you are sliding the two together grab the output yoke on the trans and turn it and this will help alighn the splines into the clutch disk.   (just remember if it dosent go force it if it breaks it needed to be replaced anywayLOL)
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 4:16pm
Is the flywheel pilot bushing new?  If so, the inside diameter of the bushing can compress when driving it into the flywheel...and make it difficult to close that final gap.  There isn't a great way to test this unless you have a spare T-90 input shaft laying around.

You can remove the bell housing, and see if you can slide the T-90 into the bushing.  If not, you will have to ream the bushing a bit.

Hawk  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 4:32pm
Hawk- The pilot bushing is new. It seems like its almost in just that last inch.
Also what do you mean by ream the bushing?

Can you explain the pin guide process? What do the pins go into? I am going to remove the bell from the motor and mount it to the trans to help guide it a little bit easier.
Also, the tub is removes so luckily I am not on my back Smile

Trying to upload pics now
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 4:38pm
Is all part of the fun of owning a Jeep. I would be out there trying to get the gearboxes back in my MB when I was a teen. A few hours out there with the boxes on my stomach as I wrestled with them. Gave it up to go get some sleep.
The next day it slid right in on the first try.
We tell you these things as we have all been through it and learned, something?
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 4:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 5:16pm

Just a pic of the current state of it 
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 5:27pm
THEY SCREW INTO THE BELL HOUSING IN THE SAME LOCATIONS AS THE MOUNTING BOLTS FOR THE TRANSMISSION . DON'T REMOVE THE BELL HOUSING JUST LEAVE IT ON THE MOTOR. THAT WAY YOU CAN MOVE THE TRANSIMMION IN AND OUT A FEW INCHES WITHOUT LOSING YOUR ALIGNMENT WITH
THE SPLINES.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 5:41pm
Based on your photo, you have the splines lined up on the clutch disc.  This is good...as long as you're certain the disc was centered with the alignment tool...and the disc didn't slip when you tightened the pressure plate bolts.

If the clutch disc is dead center, then you are being held out by the bushing.  The inside diameter of the bushing is probably too snug for the input shaft to slide in.  This has happened to me.

Reaming is a process used to enlarge a hole. I think I used one of the brake cylinder hones to enlarge mine.  Cheap...and available at most auto parts stores.

Hawk 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 5:48pm
I had to ream the bushing on my first rebuild - but before you do that, how about trying a little bit of high temp grease on the nose of the input shaft/inside the bushing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscheiner.09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2016 at 6:56pm
Okay, so most likely I will need to remove the transmission from its partial spot, and ream the bushing.
Also, I tried to remove the trans last night and pull it out but it seemed stuck in there, might be the angle that was keeping it in the spline so I couldn't remove it?
Jordan S
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>