Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shug4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tub
    Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 3:50am
How do you tell a repo from the real thing? Tub.
Shug4
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 10:10am
Take two tubs and set them side by side on the ground. I can't tell the difference. You'll know when you install one. Holes don't line up? Probably a repro.
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 11:33am
Originally posted by scoutpilot scoutpilot wrote:

Take two tubs and set them side by side on the ground. I can't tell the difference. You'll know when you install one. Holes don't line up? Probably a repro.

THATS A HECK OF AN ANSWER NOW..WITH THAT WILLYS OVERLAND DO A PERFECT JOB ON RETROFITTING A TUB FOR THERE CUSTOMER BASE HOLES ARE SPOT ON..

EASY THING IS REPOP TUB USUALLY HAVE A LARGE STAMPED SERIAL NUMBER ON THE COWL  , ALSO BEST BET IS MOSTLY THE REPOP'S DONT HAVE THE SCRIPT ON THE FRONT OF THE TOOL BOX ( AT LEAST THE OLDER ONES ANYHOW ) ..LOOK CLOSE AT THE TRANNY COVER SOME TUBS WHERE ABOUT AN INCH OFF..MILITARY TUBS THE FLOOR PANS ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE .
BOTTOM LINE IS DO ALOT OF RESEARCH HERE LOTS OF GUYS HAVE PURCHASED REPOP TUBS AND THERE ARE ALOT OF ANSWERS ON GOOD AND BAD ON HOW TO SPOT A REPOP TUB Wink

Edited by hillbilly21 - 02 Oct. 2014 at 12:41pm
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 1:32pm
Is the metal the same thickness for all of them?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 1:37pm
The quickest way I have found to tell the difference between an original tub vs a reproduction is to look at the lip of the tub.  Regardless of the other features and whether or not the tub has been reworked by a professional, all of the repop tubs I have seen have a significant radius on both inner and outer bends as compared to an original tub which has relatively sharp bends.

This is a quick way to tell without having to crawl around the tub too much.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 1:41pm
A quick way to tell the difference is to look at the floor in front of the passenger seat.  Original tubs have a diagonal depression about 1-1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.  The depression was originally used to spot weld a bracket for the right side exhaust on the early 2As.  Even though the exhaust moved, the stamping of the depression was not removed all through 2A production and later.  If the passenger side floor has been replaced, then this indicator will not be present.  If the depression is there, you certainly have an original tub.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 1:59pm
The feature I'm talking about can be seen here:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/mdjuan-tubs_topic27368_post244376.html#244376

.... I guess it is really the inner radius that is not very sharp but in this post you can see Rommel's original tub compared to a reproduction and IMO, the inner radius of the tub is not near as sharp.  It is quick to spot regardless of any other mods done to the tub.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2014 at 2:21pm
Repo tubs usually do not have the top bow pockets on the rear corners and behind the seats. Their MB tubs are tough for me to spot until you look for tub  #'s on the LF cowl support. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Shug4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shug4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2014 at 12:58am
I drive a truck so I will try to visualize the tub. I have the bow brackets for the rear and sides. I put a spare tire carrier on the side and when I did I found the four holes to bolt it to the side. It doesn't have the top bow support brackets on the drivers side but it has a lot of footman loops on it. It has one under the rear fender well on the lip. I think the box under the passenger seat has the script on it.
Shug4
 Post Reply Post Reply