Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIN Location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIN Location
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 8:29am
I am having trouble locating my VIN number; the spot of the front right frame rail has no stamped number.  I have a body number  and serial number  but need something different for Tx Dot.  There are no data plates on the left side of the fire wall.  Anywhere else I can look?

Thanks
____
1947 CJ2a
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 8:49am
Merc,
there might still be a tag just aft of the drivers side frame horn. Out board side, pop riveted on.
It's about 2"x1".
Hope it's still there for you!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:24am
merc_man, just for your information the drivers side is called the left side no matter from which end your looking at the vehicle. The tub tag is on the right side of the firewall looking at the firewall. When your looking at the firewall it would be on your left but is called the right side of the vehicle. 

The reason I point this out is so you will know where we are pointing to when someone gives a place to look.
F Bill View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:39am
If you have a serial number that begins with CJ2A that is your number.. where is it found on the jeep?

You may find it on the engine block behind the water pump....it was a common thing to title by the engine SN instead of the Jeep's SN as the firewall plates were removeable by screws.

May I suggest Robert De Ruyter's Dataplates4U to replace the missing frame rail plate before your next  Vin inspection?  A riveted plate on the driver's frame rail should do the trick, altho you could also rivet your firewall plates on. Whatever you do do not walk in there with loose plates.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:39am
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the location of the tag. Just trying to make it simple.
Embarrassed
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

F Bill View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

Merc,
there might still be a tag just aft of the drivers side frame horn. Out board side, pop riveted on.
It's about 2"x1".
Hope it's still there for you!

Factory would have been drive rivets, not pop rivets. I don't think pop rivets came into common use till the 50's or 60's....
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:42am
Embarrassed
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 3:03pm
Kilroy, I think you had the right location for the tag or stamped numbers.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2012 at 8:30am
Originally posted by merc_man merc_man wrote:

I am having trouble locating my VIN number; the spot of the front right frame rail has no stamped number.  I have a body number  and serial number  but need something different for Tx Dot. There are no data plates on the left side of the fire wall.
I'm confused.  You say there's no frame tag or firewall tags, yet you have a body number & serial number?  Where did you get those from?

Quote Anywhere else I can look?
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic