Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage AVM locking hubs.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage AVM locking hubs.
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 3:53pm

Does anyone have any info on older AVM locking hubs?  Are they any good? Since im swapping over to  the spicer axles in my cj2a I dont think I can use my Dualmatic hubs that were on my threaded axles.  There is a set of old AVM hubs on the parts jeep.  I took them apart last week and they look pretty heavy duty.  They are different than what the current pics look like, the middle is solid metal.  Ill try to take some pictures this afternoon.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 4:54pm
If they look like this they are actually Selectro hubs.

Larry
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 5:03pm

They look like the first picture.  The parts diagram does not match.  Ive got them taken apart, ill take some pictures.  I will probably end up just cutting my own gaskets to fit.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 12:51am
Do the parts match up with any of these?

Larry
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 4:05am
Here is what I have.
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2014 at 2:51pm

I realized last night that when I removed these hubs there were no snap rings on the end of the shafts.  Do you eliminate the need for the snap rings when you use locking hubs?

Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2014 at 6:46pm
Those internal parts look identical to the Warn M195's I have for my rear end on my 47. As far as I know you don't need a snap ring, the hub itself is the retainer and the bushing/bearing in the back of the hub is the axle guide. I could be wrong but it seems thats how mine is setup
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2014 at 8:01pm
I polished the aluminum rings on the wire wheel and painted the middle back red.  They sure dont look as cool as the dualmatics that were on my jeep originally.  I did use snap rings on the end of my axles with these hubs.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2014 at 11:09pm
Nice job.
 Post Reply Post Reply