Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this tub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this tub?
    Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 10:11pm
My nephew is in Moab this week and sent me a pic of this tub a guy has for sale. I think it's a CJ because no tailgate, but that box lid on the passenger side dash I've never seen. Think it's just a modification of some sort or did something like this ever come out of the factory?
Maybe it's the wife's flip up make-up mirror.

1945 CJ2a 11495
Jim Kilbourne View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Kilbourne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 10:24pm
M38
Jim Kilbourne
1945 Willys, CJ2A-10142
1946 Willys, CJ2A-26592(for sale)
1946 Willys, CJ2A-33725

projectrequest@motorhousellc.com
http://motorhousellc.com

DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 10:31pm
x2 on M38, see if tool indents on passenger side.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2014 at 11:13pm

May also be aftermarket replacement tub with the M 38 style floor panels....Especially if you find it has a MB style glovebox... Those rear seat brackets look like they could be WWII style ones but no rear toolboxes in the wheelhouses...and I'm not familiar with M 38 back seats brackets which they may also be. I do not see any fuel filler and tub looks like it has a few modifications... Hopefully it is cheap.

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 12:52am
MHO, M-38, Looks like it had an arctic top w/s on it at one time, fuel filler neck has been removed and filled (?), rear seat brackets look M-38 to me, The firewall patina makes me think it's not a repop, and the blue paint there looks Strata Blue if original, and may mean an Air Force past. .......... what are they asking $$$ may be worth hauling home.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Jim Kilbourne View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Kilbourne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 1:25am

concur with lee's good observations on vintage and use...

Jim Kilbourne
1945 Willys, CJ2A-10142
1946 Willys, CJ2A-26592(for sale)
1946 Willys, CJ2A-33725

projectrequest@motorhousellc.com
http://motorhousellc.com

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 1:33am

I  am not an M 38 guy (Obvious ?)but the large hole on the drivers side has me stymied....What is it for?

And is that cowl mounted battery box lid a stock one or has the hinges/latch been changed up?

(Not questioning your assessment at all......just trying to learn more about the M 38....)

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 2:07am
The battery box lid is correct.  The large hole on the drivers side is where the harness comes off the master switch in the dash.  there is usually a sheet metal cover there.
1952 M38
Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 2:16am
Picture is worth a 1000 words.  Photo from Wes K's M Series site.

1952 M38
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2014 at 1:16pm
Sorry I've been gone but didn't get any e-mails about reply postings, guess I forgot to check the box!
Ya, it was cheap enough I thought, $200.00. "The KID" said he didn't have room on his trailer…
He was hauling two jeeps and his buddy helping with expenses I guess. I told him guys stand then on end all the time and that he could probably stand & strap between the two but he probably would worry about scratching something.

So that l lid on top of cowl is the radio box on an M38, interesting. Maybe USAF Blue - but didn't realize the M-38' had tailgates? Appreciate all the responses. If he surprises me and drags it home, and our friend shows up at the MPVA with that rolling chassis...

Hope maybe one of you guys were out there and might have picked it up so it will find a good home - presume surely someone was close. TKS
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2014 at 1:29pm
The lid on the cowl is for the 2nd battery.  M38s have a 24V system, two 12V batteries in series.  The battery to radio is referring to the hole in the battery box for connecting the radio power cable.
1952 M38
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 12:14am
A steal at $200

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 12:44am
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

Hope maybe one of you guys were out there and might have picked it up so it will find a good home - presume surely someone was close. TKS

I was just in Moab the 4th-11thSmile

We drive our rigs out, so I wouldn't have had room to haul it either, but at $200 I may have found a way!

5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 7:42am
That's some great info. That spare batt box would be handy even on a 12v system to run a spare in case I wanted to put an 8,0000 wench on the front end. That might be a little over the top but I'm thinking an ATV wench/3000 is just not enough. I have not done anything yet but am sure it is just down the road and I don't want to have to run it through the cranking batt but rig them both to charge from the alt. Believe they make a batt/charger cylenoid just for the purpose.

Ya, I thought $200.00 was a great price. Not sure how closely the boys checked for bondo or repairs but it couldn't have been any more work than I had with my 2a body when I drug it home. Post some pics HillyBillie! Saw some of the stuff my nephew took and looks like some of it is pretty wild. Don't know how much the old cj's do out there, what did you take out?

I think the state park in the other corner when the guys were talking about all the "sand" (sand creek?) was more my pace. I'm running new NDT Cooper AT's and don't think I would have as much trouble as they were with the narrow NOS style; but climbing up some of those rock faces I saw the pictures of, I would not do. I bet they break alot of stuff!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Edited by BENSH - 23 Apr. 2014 at 9:14pm
    1945 CJ2a 11495
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2014 at 6:13am
Can't believe it. He drives a four door Ford pulling a fifth wheel trailer back home and can't find room for that tub!  Says it was still there if I wanted it that bad. Guess I'll have to make some of these meets on my own some day, I just hope you guys keep posting your pics from your events.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 3:37am
I drove my '00 TJ out this year, towing my M 416 with RTT.

In the past I have driven my '80 CJ7 out there.

This year we had only a few minor problems, 2 driveshaft U-joints, couple of loose control arm bolts, and I had a plug in a tire go out.

There's a lot to do around Moab, and trails for every rig and for every level of off road skill.

Since our entire club drives out (we don't trailer our rigs) we watch what we do, as we have a 1500 mile drive home.  But we do run some tough trails, and have fun.

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 3:50am
Nice trailer mod.  Didn't you post that somewhere.  Sweet.Cool
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2014 at 4:16am
Originally posted by zooke581 zooke581 wrote:

Nice trailer mod.  Didn't you post that somewhere.  Sweet.Cool

Thanks! I might have posted it here, I know it's on a few other Jeep and adventure forums.

Everything I did to my M416 can be reversed easily, so it can be put back to factory condition.

It's a '67 Stevens, and in very solid shape, I just couldn't see cutting a tail gate, or doing other irreversible mods to it.Smile

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>