Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the best way to add a second gas tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the best way to add a second gas tank?
    Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 1:53am
Anyone have any experience adding a second fuel tank? I picked up a 10-gallon DJ5 tank, but it's REALLY tight - my hired shop and I don't think it's work well. Even if they can squeeze it in, the foller neck will be underneath the frame, and need some weird rerouting.

I'm considering removing the passenger toolbox and putting a tank there (a regular tank with the filler neck swapped to the right side). If anyone knows of a good tank to use under the back without removing the K framing (or any other good way to add gas capacity), I've be all ears.

I would really like to be able to add some capacity without having to carry gas cans everywhere. I plan to take this on week-long excursions into the high desert, and 10 gallons just ain't gonna cut it. If I can add a second tank, it'll mean I can use external can racks to carry more water and free up some inside cargo space.
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 2:35am
There are two ways to go about doing it:

1) remove toolbox and add a second tank there. There is a company making a kit to do this. I don't know who makes it, but I've seen it over at the early CJ5 site.

2) remove the drawbar bracing and add a later CJ rear tank. You can replace the old bracing with a intermediate CJ style bracing, like this:

Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
cerecdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cerecdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 4:41am
I have a very nice tank that was in my cj2a on the passenger side. I removed it because I wanted originality. I put a tool box back in.
It has the filler neck welded nicely for fueling in the same fashion as the driver side. 
I would sell for $50 plus shipping. Tank strap included.
I'm in california
Bruce
You pay for what you get
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 9:57am
I'd be putting $50 plus in the mail ...... it doesn't get any easier than that. That's the way I would want to do it I believe.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ceol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 1:13pm
Cerecdoc, I sent you a PM - I'll definitely take you up on that offer. Thanks!
cerecdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cerecdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct. 2011 at 3:19pm
Tank sold pending Ceol pymt.Smile
You pay for what you get
Mark 47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2011 at 4:35pm
The PO made a tank and installed it between the rear differential and bumper, it holds 12 gal's. I would also like to have more fuel cap but again where?
Ceol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2011 at 1:32am
I did some looking, and I couldn't find a DJ3 tank anywhere. The DJ5 is what I tried - it's REALLY tight, and would also require cutting out the tow hitch supports in the frame.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2011 at 12:25pm
If you had found a DJ3A tank you still would have had to cut the supports out to use it also.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply