Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Where's the build thread"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Where's the build thread"
    Posted: 12 July 2015 at 1:47pm
So it seems there is a reporter out there that asks the cutting question " where's the build thread?"
I wasn't going to do one because this some of Bubba's finest work! Now mind you no jeeps were injured
In this build! The body came from Bruce W, well both bodies to be exact. It took both to get one usable!
This beast is built with what I had laying around so please don't judge to harshly!

I'm naming it " Against my will ", AMW for short  I arrived at that name after several major discussions with my wife
Over color choices! Seeing this is to be her jeep I figured she could pick the color ..... First mistake, she chose
Purple..... Then to add insult to injury I was informed that the willys lettering was to be white and lined with
A pink pinstripe!!! Now I'm thinking to myself how this 6.5 260 pound guy will be looking driving thîs jeep!!

So here's the details as to its current state of build! In the process if mocking up all the major sub assemblies.
It's engine is a 4.3 CPI Chevy, Hyd. Clutch hanging pedal assembly, power steering, cj5 springs and shocks
(Had those on hand and they were brand new ) so spring perches slightly modified to fit them!
Remember now this thing is all scraps and far from finished! I will resize some images and upload the shortly.

Dennis

Edited by Dmac - 12 July 2015 at 7:59pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 2:32pm
Whats the frame as CJ5 springs are a good bit longer then 2A. I know I have a 5 frame modified to fit a 2A body and my rear shackle mounts hang clear back under the rear cross member.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 2:44pm
Looking forward to the pics!

When it comes to guiltless jeeps like this one where no single jeep is sacrificed, bubba rocks! IMO.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 3:13pm
Mark, its a CJ2a Frame, I moved the spring perches to make up the difference. In the process of mocking it all up before we move on to body refinishing. This will be a trail jeep, not sure it will be done for fall colors but it will be close.

Edited by Dmac - 12 July 2015 at 3:20pm
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 12:06am
Moving right along I now have eliminated all the circuits to the computer that are not required for the engine to run such as air conditioning, Evap, Vss and so on. After several hours and I mean several I managed to fire the engine.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 1:51am
Rockin awesome! Where's the video?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 3:56am
Looks great!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 5:24pm
Some photos with the computer and harness in its final location! All weather head connections, and roughly located in the same location it came  from the factory so it should be ok as long as I don't try 3-4 feet of water. A picture of the bulk head connector too.
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 5:30pm
After I rough everything in I will blow it all apart finish the body work, paint ect. Then I will upload a running video Jeff. Currently I have to decide my fuel pump solution, whether I want to go intank or inline, do I want to use the stock tank or make a modified version. I have a extra GPW tank I could fiddle with for extra fuel capacity and such but `Im not sure I want to ruin an original tank. I have a couple 2a tanks as well. Open for ideas folks.

Dennis

Edited by Dmac - 25 July 2015 at 8:34pm
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 6:31pm
I would hate to see you modify a nice GPW tank, just for a couple gallons. For the most part, 10.5 gallons seems to cover most days on the trails, and a gas can is always an option.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 6:54pm
I`m thinking along those lines as well Lee. I just need a good long hard look at that tank to see if its worth holding on to.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2015 at 11:51pm
I think the CJ tank is fine too. If you do go with a g503 tank, you will not be able to utilize the extra fuel unless you have an internal fuel pump because an external pump is supposed be below the tank so that it does not have to work so hard.

That's what I'm going through now with mine.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 9:48pm
Ok using a CJ tank I had laying around. Disassembled the original tank module from the donor s10 and stripped it down to the pump and check valve assembly only. Made a mounting plate and fabricated some lines from the donor. Run the plumbing and poof we have a running pump and engine. 
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 9:52pm
More pics, sorry I forgot I took them in 2 different formats. Anyway heres the feed line and I have since added a return line in the plate. seems to work ok, I haven't let it run long as I have no cooling system yet. Looks like a 64 mustang 3 row alum. rad will be in my future. Perfect dimensions for what I need. I used 4 nutserts in the tank hold it in place the springs push it to the bottom.

Edited by Dmac - 02 Aug. 2015 at 9:55pm
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 10:03pm
Ok, I wired this whole thing using a dedicated ignition feed buss bar for the computer and accessories. So naturally I use this bar to feed my pump relay, much to my surprise when I went to turn the engine off on it`s first run ...well it didn`t. I guess I should have looked closer but the battery direct feed wire that feeds the oil pressure switch and the fuel pump once it senses oil pressure also back feeds through the ignition feed wire Embarrassed so a quick rewire to a dedicated ignition feed for the relay took care of it...I bet the look on my face was priceless when I rotated the ignition off and it continued to run Smile

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 10:29pm
Tank in place with return line and under hood pic with battery tucked away
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 10:44pm
Awesome! How does the tank vent? Just through the cap?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2015 at 10:49pm
Here you go Jeff, took me awhile to figure out how to post a video.
To answer your question about the vent yes I plan on venting it through the cap at this point.
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>