Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Willys Overland Master Mechanic Passes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willys Overland Master Mechanic Passes.
    Posted: 14 Aug. 2014 at 5:26am
My uncle Clarence recently died at his home and I'll try to share the obit and a couple of pics from the paper as a part of Jeep history for those who might be interested.

­­­­­­­­­
Clarence Gray 1920-2014

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014, longtime resident of Waterville, Ohio, Clarence Eugene Gray, age 94, was welcomed home by his Lord and Savior. Clarence was born on April 14, 1920, in Toledo, Ohio to Hazel Marie and William Quincy Gray. He grew up at Reynolds Corners And attended Glann Elementary School. He was a longtime member of Dorr Street Church of God, then located at the corner of Dorr Street and Reynolds Road. In later years he attended Heritage Church of God.

During his high school years, he developed a strong work ethic and worked many hours at the grocery store located behind his home. After graduation in 1939 from Macomber Vocational High School, he continued working for the Kroger grocery chain. Clarence began his career at Willys Overland shortly before being drafted into the Army in 1942. During World War II, he proudly served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps as an X-ray technician at Wakeman General Hospital located at Camp Atterbury near Columbus, Indiana. Also working on base was his future bride, Mary Ann Bensheimer. They married on April 22, 1945, and were blessed with 69 years together. After discharged in 1946 as a Sergeant (T4), he returned to Toledo and his job at Willys Overland retiring from Chrysler Jeep with 43 years of service as a master mechanic in 1985.

1945 CJ2a 11495
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2014 at 5:37am
Thank You for posting this as a tribute to your uncle. I am sorry for your loss.
I was just looking at the Toledo map tonight (since I still scour the area for parts) so I know exactly where Dorr and Reynolds are. (Not to mention my wifes uncle was a Manager for the Kroger Chain.)

You should be proud of your Uncle. Sounds like he was a fine man.
I wish I could have met him, but my first visit to the plant was 1987.

Edited by Joe Friday - 14 Aug. 2014 at 5:39am
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2014 at 3:38am
Bensch, Sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting!, your uncle lived an interesting life.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 11:13pm
Hi Bensh,  Thank you for this tribute.  I just tuned in.  Can you tell us some of his jobs at The Overland, a story or two from his working days would be nice, and anything that would give us a peek inside those walls during those early Jeep Production times.  We love those employees that turned the screws.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 1:51am
I really don’t know the inside details of his career at Willys but will ask the girls and my aunt to perhaps relay some of their memories, and perhaps the stories that he told. When I get a reply I’ll pass it on through these pages. Thanks to all for comments and interest.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 7:37am
My eternal thanks to a man who helped build the BEST off road vehicle ever made.  May he rest in peace..
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply