Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

willys overland tub "question"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: willys overland tub "question"
    Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 12:06pm
so there is a guy in my jeep club who said willysoverland makes their own tubs using original willys presses that were from ww2...i told him the were md juan reworked.....so....
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 1:22pm
MD Juan reworked. Willys-Overland makes you think they are the same company, but they are not...how they get away with it, knowing Chrysler, is beyond me. They also make you think their tubs fit like an original. I know several people who put them on and had the same problems as a standard MD Juan tub. A buddy of mine did one and they said they use a perfect frame as a jig. His did not fit well at all and had to be modified. They said his frame must not be as perfect as theirs.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 3:48pm
i brought a tub from willyoverland and  put on my frame  which is not perfect by any means, and it fit great the first time. the tub fit right on. the fender was a differant thing, as the front horn are screw up. it didn`t take long to fit the fenders as i have a lot of tools. i would buy a tub from them agan. my 2 cent here.Big smileBig smile
dennisanvil
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 3:53pm
I bought one and I am pleased.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 7:17pm
   I have bought several tubs from JAY  @ Willys Overland..never had one problem with them..

I am 100 % sure if anyone has had a problem with one of there tubs he would be the first one to make it right with them...Wink

I am also sure that he retrofits them to make sure in every way that before they go out the door they are properly fit ...
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 7:27pm
No matter whose tub you get it takes a little finagling to get the tub AND hood AND fenders to all line up nicely. I bet if you found a NOS tub and tried to fit it to many of our beatup and repaired frames, the problems would be similar.  

Our standards for fit and finish are also different than they were in the 40's. A buddy of mine who restores the Advanced design Chevrolet pickup trucks regularly has to cut and weld doors and splash shields on the running boards to make them fit well enough to pass inspection by modern eyes. Heck in the old days if we could shut the door on a pickup truck we were happy.  Jeeps were a utility vehicle, a tool for USING, and if the hood gap wasn't entirely even most folks didn't care, as long as the jeep started and ran and got the crop to market.

That said...I would bet most of the folks that have troubles with jeep tub fit have either highly tweaked and repaired frames, or are not expecting to have to use shims. (Yes, there are horror stories about the older MD Juan stuff..those I do beleive..)
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 7:31pm
thanks guys..this got way off track...
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 8:07pm
I got a w/o tub for the 2a. used the supplied body shims and it lined up very nicely. I couldn't be happier with what I got from them.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 9:05pm
I have been to their shop.  No presses, just a lot of crates from Manila. 
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2010 at 9:24pm
ALL of Jay's tubs ARE MDJuan tubs.....all they do in the back of their shop is use homemade templates to drill holes in the proper places, that MDJuan did not drill to begin with......

last i heard, MDJuan has the shifter opening mishap down to 1/4" off, much better than the almost 1" it used to be off.....but when you mention "shims", too bad MDJuan cannot retool and gain some more height in the shifter tunnel, that is why the shims are needed....

and when you say they use a straight frame, maybe they do, but all they are doing with the frame is enlarging the holes in the tubs, that didn't align up once the crate was removed.....

their tubs are perfectly fine if you have patience, and some basic fitting skills.....

however, if you think you can just drop it on, bolt it up, and have no one be able to tell the difference, you are only kidding yourself :) 

even reworked original tubs require a great deal of fitting....

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2010 at 8:02pm
I did not mean to knock Willys-Overland. At least they try to make them correct. I was really trying to say that they do not make their own bodies. I do wish the replacement bodies coming out of the P.I. were correct, I'll bet they'd sell more of them.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2010 at 8:20pm
i totally agree with you bob :) it sure would make restoration life much easier......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Post Reply Post Reply