Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield star washers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield star washers
    Posted: 26 Aug. 2016 at 11:52pm
Anybody know if the star washers walks sells are different from the the ones sold by Kaiser Willys? Walk's site list them as the manufacturer, but I don't know if Kaiser is buying and reselling them?

Reason I ask is I put a set of Kaiser Willys ones on my windshield, but it folds back in when driving. I have an original one that seems a little stiffer than the repops, was thinking of putting it on one side and the two repop washers on the other side to see if it makes any difference in holding the windshield open at speed. Then I looked at walk's and wondered if theirs were any better than the ones I had.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 2:10pm
Give them a shot. I like Karl's stuff and he's pretty good at standing behind his stuff. Either that or put out a search for some originals.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2016 at 5:57pm
One possibility that may cause the inner windshield frame to close while driving is that the lollipop detents are worn enough that they won't grip anymore. New star washers aren't going to correct that.

I'm betting that Walck's and Kaiser-Willys have the same source for star washers. I bought the star washers from K-W when I rebuilt my windshield and they seem to work all right, but I am also sure that the washers Walck's supplies would work just fine also.

I don't think the springs actually add anything to the tightness of the lollipop joint, the joint is held in place by the wing screws and the star washer is there to keep the screw from backing off through vibration.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply