Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worm Gear ID???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worm Gear ID???
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2015 at 7:14pm
Hi All,

I had the good fortune to pick up a new steering worm shaft this weekend from a guy that was selling one. It seems old, and had some surface rust on the shaft, and general muck and dirt all over... but it cleaned up pretty nicely with not much effort. It is clear that it is unused, because there is no sign of wear in any of the usual places, like on the bearing faces of the worm, the ball bearing races etc. In fact you can still see the machining marks on the worm gear.

It is 41.5" long, and has the hole at the bottom for the horn wire.

The curious thing is the colour of the worm gear. It is a deep rich copper or gold colour. I have never seen another like it (not that I am any kind of expert), and it is certainly different to the ones you see offered for sale from the various dealers these days.

Anyone have any idea on the strange colour of the worm gear? Is this possibly NOS?

Before being cleaned up....

After being cleaned up....

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 12:28am
Here are a couple pictures of the old worm gear from my 55 CJ-5. The jeep has been in the family since 1962 so it's a safe bet that it was the original.

It's 41 1/2" long

You can see traces of that copper color....

And there is a part number stamped in it...

Edited by 1955cj5 - 19 Jan. 2015 at 12:30am
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 8:11am
Thanks for the information, 1955cj5!

So I'm thinking along the following lines:
- the yellow metal is clearly only a coating over the steel underneath.
- There is evidence of the yellow metal coating existing on early (original) worm gears
- The intention must have been that the softer coating would wear fairly quickly to match the exact shape of the two studs on the sector shaft, allowing a much closer fit that if it was plain steel on steel.
- Over time it would wear away completely, only remaining where there is no contact at all. These are probably the areas remaining with the yellow metal on the used worm gear from 1955cj5 above.

That's my theory, unless anyone has any other ideas?

Strange that mine doesn't have the part number stamped into it. It would appear that it is NOS though!

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 19 Jan. 2015 at 8:13am
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2015 at 4:25pm
From the pictures your worm gear appears to be made from the brass-like material rather than plated with it.....will a magnet stick to the worm end?

If my old part had been plated as thoroughly as your's it seems odd that all but a trace would have worn away..

And remember mine is a cj-5 part, I don't know when they stopped using that style Ross steering box....but it's longer than the 2a shaft by 1"....

Edited by 1955cj5 - 19 Jan. 2015 at 4:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 6:34am
Originally posted by 1955cj5 1955cj5 wrote:

And remember mine is a cj-5 part....but it's longer than the 2a shaft by 1"....

Your shaft is 41.5", but you say that it is longer than the 2A shaft by 1"? As far as I have been able to tell from other posts on this site, the 2A's had two shaft lengths:
40.5" shaft was for the earlier 2A's with the horn wire out the side
41.5" shaft was for the later 2A's with the horn wire out the bottom.
Rocketeer is quoted on a few posts as confirming this.
So as far as I can tell, for my 1948 CJ2A #204853, the 41.5" shaft is correct.

I checked the worm with a magnet, and it does stick. So it seems that it is indeed a thick plating, with steel underneath!
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 1:54pm
Mine had the wire inside, but was  the short shaft when I replaced it 30 years ago.
BOULDER 48 2A
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Originally posted by 1955cj5 1955cj5 wrote:

And remember mine is a cj-5 part....but it's longer than the 2a shaft by 1"....

Your shaft is 41.5", but you say that it is longer than the 2A shaft by 1"? As far as I have been able to tell from other posts on this site, the 2A's had two shaft lengths:
40.5" shaft was for the earlier 2A's with the horn wire out the side
41.5" shaft was for the later 2A's with the horn wire out the bottom.
Rocketeer is quoted on a few posts as confirming this.
So as far as I can tell, for my 1948 CJ2A #204853, the 41.5" shaft is correct.

I checked the worm with a magnet, and it does stick. So it seems that it is indeed a thick plating, with steel underneath!

Excellent!

I didn't know that the late 2a's had the longer shaft......I guess by now I should realize that anything is possible with these old jeeps!

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 5:01pm
It's come to my attention that somewhere in the past I cut and pasted information about steering shaft lengths that included a typo. I would like to correct that so here's the corrected version. My apologies. Now if anyone has a link to a previous post where the incorrect info appears please PM me, I can't seem to find the old post.

Early CJ2A with horn brush contact (up to ser 178361)    40.5"
Late CJ2A with horn wire out the bottom (after ser 178361)   40.5"
CJ3A/M38                41.5"
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 8:58pm
Yes, rocketeer, and when I replaced mine they gave me the long one. It placed the wheel too close, so I cut off 1" and rewelded the shaft.
BOULDER 48 2A
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2015 at 9:37pm
Over a 60 year span anything can be swapped or modified on these jeeps so it's always best to measure the old prior to ordering a replacement of any kind.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2015 at 7:50am
Thanks for clarifying that Rocketeer.

Yes, nothing beats good old fashioned measurement. In my case, I was not looking to buy the new worm gear and shaft, but was offered it on the spur of the moment while on a trip away from home. I measured it at 41.5" and something in the depths of my memory stuck out that it was the correct length for the later CJ2A with the horn wire out the bottom. I was also assured by the seller that it was correct! I took a chance and bought it and was mighty relieved later when a few posts on this site confirmed my memory. LOL

Only the uncertainty raised by 1955cj5 and Terry made me dig deeper, and now we have uncovered the facts of the issue! Wink All CJ2A's had the 40.5" shaft, and this is regardless of where the horn wire comes out.

All is not lost, I will do as Terry did and cut 1" out of the middle section of the new shaft and weld it up again.

Thanks for your feedback and for clarifying what was becoming a confusing issue for me!

Mike

Edited by JeepSaffer - 21 Jan. 2015 at 7:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2015 at 7:54am
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

Now if anyone has a link to a previous post where the incorrect info appears please PM me, I can't seem to find the old post.

I'll PM you as soon as I can find the posts.

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply