Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOW Dodge Dakota Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOW Dodge Dakota Fuel Pump
    Posted: 25 July 2015 at 10:08pm
The other day I pull up to the drug store and the engine in my 98 Dakota stumbles a little as I shut it off. When I come out it cranks but no fire. So I start looking to see what it could be. I figure it has to be the Pickup coil in the distributor (everyone else calls it a cam sensor) its after NAPA closes so I call the wife we race to Salem and go to Autozone the kid can't find it. My son bought one there less then a year ago (this is also why I thought that is what it was same behavior).

I come home and in 30 sec find it on Autozones web site and the store I was in shows one in stock.

Leave the truck in front of the drug store over night.

next day call NAPA they have one in stock but will be closed before I get off so I have the wife go pick it up.

After standing on my head for 30 min I get it installed and...................NOTHING. DAMN

I go into ACE (right next to the drug store and buy a can of starting fluid. SSSPPPPPRRRIITTZZZ and it fires right up CRAP its the fuel pump.

IN TANK FUEL PUMP 

I call my son in law we tow it home. No time to do the fuel pump until today SAT.

So I drag out the stuff and assemble my cherry picker (yes you need a cherry picker to change the fuel pump) I pull the 8 bolts to release the bed from the frame. then the 4 little screws to release the fill neck from the bed side. I run a strap from one hold down to the other and lift the front of the box up about 15" place a couple blocks between the frame and the bed and after screwing around for a while manage to get the pump out. Plug it back into the harness and all I get is a single bump sound. So yea the PUMP is FUBARed

Down to NAPA the kid pulls the pump and says $258 (I knew this already) so with one of the guys I went to school with behind the counter I tell the kid to give me the good buddy I'm in hear all the time price. SO he gives me some local car clubs discount price and I walk out with it for $224.00

Getting that plastic locking ring back on while bent over under that bed was a total PITA. But sure enough hook it up and the truck starts and runs fine.

If someone would have told me I needed a cherry picker to change a fuel pump I would have looked at them cross eyed LOL

Time for a long break I feel like I been playing football for 2 hours this getting old and fat is swiftly loosing its novelty!

So lets see:

Pump $224.00
PCM       58.00
Lost day of OT $288.00

cost to repair pickup  $570.00 sounds about right based on me selling my Chevelle project car for $4500 to help fund the Willys project. LOL
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 5:23am
Been there, except mine was an '04 Dakota, but still cost $700 to fix. I totaled it a month later...be careful ;-)
Dave
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2015 at 1:43pm
Brilliant engineering. I've heard of people installing access doors since they planned on driving the vehicle until it won't move anymore. One thing for sure, they make more money selling parts and repairing the cars than what they make selling the cars. "Good Business". Glad you have the tallent to fix your own. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply