Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB CJ2A Smaller Steering Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB CJ2A Smaller Steering Wheel
    Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 1:57pm

Hi,

I live in Central Florida and I'm new to the forum. I have a 1946 Cj2a, in Military Dress, with the standard 17" metal spoke steering wheel.

Does anyone have for sale, a similar looking type 15" steering wheel that fits the Cj2a ? If not, can you suggest how or where I may be able to get one?

Thank you.

Bill

1946 CJ2A In Military Dress
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 3:35pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2014 at 1:32pm

Smfulle,

Thank you for the link. Great information! I read through all of it but I don't think I would be able to make my own.

If someone in the forum has one already made and would like to sell it, or could make one, I would be interested in buying one.

Thanks again,

Bill

TexBillHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexBillHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 12:56am
Try searching tractor restoration sites - I know my Economy (brand) tractor has a wheel that looks like a jeep but is about maybe 14".  Also Crosley cars had a Jeep looking wheel and Cushman and other industrial vehicles are another place to look.  Seems ever old jeep I get in 'somehow' the seat got moved forward and magic - no extra mounting holes
Old Guy
TexBillHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexBillHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2014 at 1:10am
I see there is a wheel on, don't know if I can say the site, it starts with an e and is only 4 letters, ends with y  - search ECONOMY POWER KING TRACTOR JIM DANDY STEERING WHEEL NEW NOS FREE SHIPPING !!!.  Economy used Ross steering so the spine might be the same as Willys, but you better check
Old Guy
billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2014 at 2:41pm

TexBillHS,

Thank you for the information on the ECONOMY POWER KING TRACTOR JIM DANDY STEERING WHEEL. I contacted the seller and asked if he could provide me with the hub diameter and spline count of his wheel. Unfortunately, his wheel will not fit my original cj2a steering column because his wheel hub has 40 splines. My original 17" steering wheel has 36 splines and measures 0.853" spline outside diameter.

However, I've been searching the internet and may have found a direct bolt-on replacement 15" diameter wheel. It has a shallow 4.5" dish and matches my dimensions exactly. Including the 13/16" shaft diameter.

I placed an order for one and it arrives this Wednesday, the 22nd. If it fits, I will gladly update anyone that may be interested, with the part number and website link. (if I'm allowed to do so on the forum).

Thank you all for your valuable information and help in locating this 15" steering wheel.

Bill   

wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2014 at 4:05pm
 Yes, do update the thread with part number, source, etc. for any future interest by memebers. Pictures would be great also, to show the end result. Always nice to see what something will look like. 
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2014 at 7:24pm
Wheelie, I can offer the following suggestion for your consideration:
1. If your 2A is not a column shift, you can modify the bracket that attaches the steering column to the dash in conjunction with loosening the bolts that attach the bottom of the steering column to the frame. The frame attaching holes are slotted for minor adjusting and you may have adjust the drag link from the pitman arm to bell crank arm. This might change the angle of the steering enough to help you.

2. The 2A seat bottoms rest on top of a cross support in the bottom of the seat frame. The cross support in the 3A seat frame is dropped to the bottom of the seat side rails. If you modify the bottom of your 2A seat frame with stuff from a 3A seat bottom, it will allow more space under the wheel.

I have my steering column bolted to the dash with a bracket (look up some photos of M38). Also, I modified my seat bottoms to 3A type cross supports. I had ample room for entry, driving and exit.

PS...Now that I think back, I think I used a M38 drag link between the pitman arm and bell crank.

Just as a side note. The 3A wheel house behind the driver seat is farther back from the dash as compared to 2A. If my memory is correct: 2A is about 29.750 and 3A is about 31.250. I have 3A tub now for that very reason. I have a little trouble with my GPW.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2014 at 9:02pm

Hi All,

My new, smaller 15" steering wheel just arrived. As promised, here is the update on the install.

It fits perfectly...!

It provides an additional 2 inches of clearance from the cushion to the bottom of the wheel. I will try posting some pictures I took earlier today, in my next update.

NOTE: For those that might be interested in a direct, bolt-on, smaller 15" steering wheel for your cj2a

I offer the following information: http://www.steinertractor.com/OLS139-steering-wheel

Part Number: OLS139

Price: $59.95

Steiner Tractor Parts

New Parts for Old Tractors

1660 S. M-13

Lennon, MI 48449

Phone: 800-234-3280

Fax:  800-854-1373

Bill

dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2014 at 9:30pm
how much for postage?
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2014 at 9:36pm

Great find, the holy grail of what were looking for in the other thread.

Would anyone know if this knob fits the t90?   seems like right thread by my memory.  http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC085-gear-shift-lever-knob-plastic?&TF=8DEE64CB741C

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 3:05pm

Hi All,

As promised, here are a few pictures of my new OLS139 Steiner, 15" steering wheel, installed. I included a few pictures of the original 17" wheel for comparison. Also, the shipping charges were around $17.00.

Enjoy.

Bill

Original 17" Steering Wheel showing seat clearance

New 15" Steering Wheel Installed complete with original horn button.

Side View of New 15" Steering Wheel showing seat clearance

Another Side View of New 15" Steering Wheel showing seat clearance

Side View Comparison of both Steering Wheels

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 3:34pm
I like the idea of a smaller steering wheel if all steering  is in good order. It leaves more room for "Table Muscle". That way all could go for a drive after a Big Meal.Wink
birddog7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birddog7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 3:35pm
billshar, Thanks much for the information and the pictures. This another option for us portly folks instead of moving the seat back by cutting up the wheel well.
Birddog
1945 CJ2A
1956 CJ3B
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1946 Bantam Trailer
harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 7:53pm
Here is a Sheller Steering wheel that is 15 inches not 17 and says it will fit a Willys Jeep.  

www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Jeep-Sheller-Steering-Wheel-Rat-Rod-Truck-Crosley-Westcoaster-Mailster-Mail-/251344339536?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a854a4250

Edited by harvey45 - 24 Jan. 2014 at 8:02pm
billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 8:56pm

Hi Harvey45,

Thanks for the information on the Sheller steering wheel but that steering wheel has an 11/16" spline shaft hole. The cj2a has a 13/16" spline hole. It's not a bolt-on-replacement.

Bill

billshar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billshar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2014 at 9:02pm
That 15" Sheller steering wheel also has 40 splines. The cj2a steering wheel has 36 splines.
TexBillHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexBillHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 8:16pm
I think my answer to the GUT would be a NOS Sheller steering wheel Part number 276-1815 (Economy Tractor) which is 11/16" Hub, 0.67" x 40 spline, selling on the net for $35.  I'd have a machine shop drill it and machine it to 13/16" Hub, 0.853" x 36 spline.  Also, as I did with my M38, remove and top half of the steering column dash mounting bracket and use the dash itself as the top - angles the column up an inch or so more (seat cushion to steering wheel).  You have to loosen the Ross steering box bolts and then re-tighten.   I may buy one of the Shellers and put it on the shelf - maybe someday I'll need it.  Remember 15" is less leverage  - Willys isn't power steering.  The dished one above picture does look a lot more real flat fender Willys then the replaced tilt wheel modern columns/wheels - they look awful. 
Old Guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>