Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X 64 Picture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X 64 Picture
    Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 1:10pm
I was doing some digging for a research project and came across this. Not sure if this is newsy news, but I have never seen this shot before. Love that its in brilliant color.

Bill

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-UKD538INP.jpg?size=67&uid=f5bc8709-2dda-4a36-afb1-ac3e862c7312
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
RDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 6:55pm
Nice photo Smile
Rj
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:27am
I've never seen that photo before, Bill.  Nice find...any others where that came from?

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:29am
That is the photo I inquired about several years ago. Corbis quoted me $750 for the right to hang a print in my office for one year.

They claimed the rights to it, but could not tell me the date, location or photographer. Better yet, they didn't have the negative.

Edited by Joe Friday - 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:34am
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:46am
Is that a CJ-2?  or a maybe one of the first runs of a 2a that used up some existing MB parts?  Interesting mix of MB and 2a features along with what looks like a driver side exhaust and a column shift.

Or maybe Im over thinking it and its a modern- vintage pic with someone's MB-2aConfused 

Edited by HCAT - 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:52am
Dave
44 Willys MB
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 3:28am
it is either the CJ-1, or a CJ-2....

more likely a CJ-2 because of the MB features with CJ2A over shadows......

white column shift knob?  almost thought it was CJ2A #10163 for a second.... lol
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 11:48am
It is a CJ2. It is in quite a few of the early sales brochures and movies.

Joe, I was afraid to ask for a price, now I know I won't. I got the same story, no idea when or where it was taken. They acquired it with a collection they got. Only shot they have like that. THey do have alot of other interesting CJ2A shots including one with a capstan winch on the front.

Bill

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 12:36pm
If you are not selling it, or using it for business, why can't you do what you want with a print or picture of that Jeep? A copy is just that, a copy. ??????? John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 1:56pm

John,

They own the image, so they sell copies of it. I believe they bought it from Acme newspictures Inc. Think of this like a starving artist painting you a potrait. He has one original that he keeps making copies of. He doesn't care that its for your personal use, or your office,but he's going to charge you for painting you a copy. The artist, or this company, has the image (or painting) copyright protected so that the person that buys copies cannot make and sell copies of it either. It protects their interest in making money off of their property and not others. Hope that makes sense.

Bill

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:30pm
Problem is, you can't get a quote unless you open an account, and to open an account you have to agree to their terms (and they track your usage forever after - remember Corbis is owned by Bill gates). That's why I thought it was smart of Bill Norris to post a link instead of cutting and pasting the picture.

I have many original prints, and some negatives, of other pictures they claim the rights to. I asked them how that was possible since I had the original, they had a copy, I knew the photographer, they didn't...
We agreed to disagree and I chose not to donate my originals.

Bottom line, only a low resolution copy is available unless you have deep pockets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:55pm

Joe,

I'd like to think I was that smart, but the truth is, it would not let me embed the picture on this page. I could only do a link. I wasn't about to sign up for an account though.
Really interesting that you have the originals and they are selling. Seems to me they have no right to sell copies then. THat should be your money!

I didn't know this was a Bill Gates company, interesting. He obviously needs the money more than you...

Bill

Edited by Bill Norris - 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:57pm

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 12:19am
Maybe a offer to trade a copy of yours for one of theirs, no charge!  LOL They sound pretty stuffy over a print of a old jeep. Is there that big of a market? Maybe we should have CJ2A page prints offered by CJ2A page members. LOL, Thanks for the explanation fellows. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Is there that big of a market?

The simple answer is yes, there is.. especially to those who have a profound interest in the history of Willys and the CJ2A.

Anything relevant to the research and documentation of the making of the CJ2A is still very much open ended.

Even with Fred Coldwell's "Pre-production" book, that is chock full of factual data, there is still so many unanswered questions....

I for one have seen many colored photos from the period of the CJ2, but they were always Olive Drab, or at best still sporting the remains of WWII hues......

This photo actually opens a new chapter to give some clarity as to what Harvest Tan and Sunset Red were actually perceived to look like....

Edited by lowenuf - 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:11am
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Maybe a offer to trade a copy of yours for one of theirs, no charge!  LOL They sound pretty stuffy over a print of a old jeep. Is there that big of a market? Maybe we should have CJ2A page prints offered by CJ2A page members. LOL, Thanks for the explanation fellows. John

Actually, that's what I offered.

They were very uncooperative.
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2014 at 3:46am
Should have checked when I was over at Tremains to see if his bow pickets had the holes on it like the early CJ2A's
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
jeralynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeralynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2014 at 10:05pm
Hi Bill,

I just came across an old post of yours where you posted an article referring to Jerry Lynch, who was a dealer in the 40s. It caught my eye because he was my great-gradfather with his son Jerry being my grandfather. Thought i would just take a moment to say hi considering you mentioned that you were friends with my grandfather.

best,

jeramey lynch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2014 at 3:55am
Jeramy,

Really cool to hear from you. I met your grandfather once that I remember. He was a riot. Pmed you with my contact info.

Bill

DanB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Bill Norris Bill Norris wrote:

I was doing some digging for a research project and came across this. Not sure if this is newsy news, but I have never seen this shot before. Love that its in brilliant color.

Bill

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-UKD538INP.jpg?size=67&uid=f5bc8709-2dda-4a36-afb1-ac3e862c7312

Bill,
A photo (clearly from the same photo shoot) made it on the cover of this magazine.

'46 CJ2A #71699
'48 CJ2A #160127
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>