Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Paint
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvest Tan - rediscovered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harvest Tan - rediscovered
    Posted: 04 Mar. 2006 at 9:35pm
Hey everyone:

It took me a lot longer than I hoped, but it's done, and a formula posted. As it would happen, colors like this (browns/tans) are the most difficult to reproduce due to the variety of base pigments involved.

It's been an enlightening experience. I've learned much about paints and painting, and now have a much higher regard for the pros.

Pages are kinda crude (I tried to "pretty" them up using CSS, and failed!), and I'll likely edit them some more, but the formula is there.  Enjoy!

Harvest Tan - rediscovered

Gary, Rick, Tony:  thanks so much for the samples.  Couldn't have done it without you!  I'll get the pieces mailed back to you next week.

And a special thanks to "Mix Maestro" Bob (Bobs Auto Body) who lent his expertise, paints & spray booth.

Sean

Edited by sean - 27 Sep. 2009 at 4:16pm
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2006 at 9:42pm
Congrats on your success...looks great!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2006 at 11:34pm
Hey Sean, That's exactly the color I want My 46 to look like! Thank you for your time and effort! There is auto paint shop not far from where I work. The name of the place is AUTO COLOR. I will take your mix formula there and see if they can do it. If not, I know another paint place in Eugene, called API. I have a feeling there is going to be some nice looking old flatfenders painted harvest tan with in the hopefully, not too distant future......Thanks Sean!....Rick
Rick
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2006 at 9:18am

hey sean i almst cut my finger off at work last week so i have not been able to send the box out yet. i did try to clean the peices up a biit. i'll be sending them out tomorrow.

later

mike g

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2006 at 11:30pm

Sean,

Thanks for your struggle to perfection. Your efforts help many, you are a true asset here. Hats off and a grand salute.

Gary

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2006 at 1:50pm

hey sean,

just sent your 1945 tan and 1946 gren out today. you should see it in 4 days or so. sorry it took so long

later

mike g

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2006 at 10:16am
Mike:

Thanks!

I have to leave town for a few weeks, so probably won't get them until I return.  Will check them against the others then.

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2006 at 9:23pm
Sean before you leave for awhile I have an additional question. I'm painting parts in my little garage, there are some of these parts that will end up being Harvest tan Will a good oilbase paint be compatable with your researched finish paint? 
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2006 at 10:30pm
Gary:

Good question! I don't know for sure, but I'm not leaving until Monday evening, so I'll ask mix-maestro Bob and post before I leave.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2006 at 11:32pm

Sean, sent you an email...with my address. Have a safe journey!

...Rick

Rick
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2006 at 6:54pm
Gary:

Bob the mix maestro says no, don't do it!  A basecoat urethane on top of an oil based paint will probably fisheye and/or bubble.

He recommends either:

1) Shoot the clean part with an epoxy primer/sealer.  When ready for the final top coat, just scuff & wipe clean, then shoot the topcoat.  or...

2) use a phosphoric acid based metal wash/prep on a clean steel part.  This will put an iron phosphate conversion coat on it and prevents any rusting.  When your're ready for the paint, just wipe the parts clean again & shoot the primer & topcoat.

I haven't used it for painted parts, but I do iron phosphate all my parts before powdercoating.  It's an excellent base for both paint & powdercoat.

2 products he uses:  DuPont 244 Kwik-Prep, and  EtchCore 1-2-3 (a Canadian outfit).  But even Ace hardware has a product called "Ospho" (which I've been using for powdercoat), which is cheaper than the paint specialty products, and works good.

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2006 at 6:55pm
Rick:

Your headlight ring is on it's way back.  Thanks again!

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2006 at 10:17pm

Just want to let you guys know that I got my headlite ring back and Sean sent me a sample piece back also. I think it is a perfect match! I think any of you fellas that sent Sean a piece of your Jeep will be very happy with the final formula. Thanks Sean!

Rick
csandt051196 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csandt051196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 12:49pm
Sean,

Just wanted to let you know your hard work is still paying off.  I just sent my body parts off with your paint information.

Thanks
Scott
Willysaurio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willysaurio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2021 at 10:29pm
Hi! I would like to have a piece of metal painted with the correct harvesttan color. could you help me. 

Ícono de validado por la comunidad
Willys en español ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply