Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proper Grease for Steering Knuckles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper Grease for Steering Knuckles
    Posted: 08 Feb. 2010 at 6:40pm
General Question: I looking for the proper grease to fill my steering knuckles on a '47 CJ2A. Some
prior threads mention about knuckle "puddy", but I am not familiar with this.

Can I use universal joint lube that you use to grease ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc?

Thanks for the replies...
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2010 at 7:09pm
Well you could make up the knuckle pudding using 90wt gear oil and grease 50/50. But it's much easier to use the more modern CV joint grease available at most parts stores. About two tubes/packets per knuckle should do it.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
CW48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2010 at 9:55pm
Novak sells some but it's on the expensive side. www.Novak-Adapt.com . Some guys use a Heavy Oil/Grease product made for "Pulp-Wood" harvesters you might check with a Forrest Products Supplier.
Happiness is a Southbend Lathe
dirtbuggy View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtbuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2010 at 10:10pm
i just used 90 wt gear oil and regular zerk grease and it seems to work fine so far time will tell.
47 cj2a 48cj2a 04tj 99ford dually diesel and a rhino just added a 62 jeep pickup
JohnPiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2010 at 11:02pm
Thanks.. I looked at the web site and I think I might order it. I've been confused about
which grease/lube to use, so this might be the answer.

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 1:03am
I use Land Rover steering knuckle lube, very similar to CV grease. They used that design until 2003 (or soLOL) on some models, guess they figured if it works, why change it. They have since gone to CV joints (non rebuildable, so is that an improvement?LOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
randyscycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 4:03am

In my M715 and some past LR's, I've used John Deere Cornhead grease. If you have a John Deere equipment dealer nearby they keep it in stock.

Its about the consistency of thin grease or very thick gear oil. "Knuckle pudding" is just a mixture of gear oil and grease as sated above.

It isn't leaking, it's just marking its territory.
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 1:43pm
Here's a thread I belive should be moved right in the FAQ section.
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
jeepdaddybrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepdaddybrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by westforkboyd westforkboyd wrote:

Well you could make up the knuckle pudding using 90wt gear oil and grease 50/50. But it's much easier to use the more modern CV joint grease available at most parts stores. About two tubes/packets per knuckle should do it.

WFB

two tubes? what size tubes are we talking?
47 cj2a # 94348
48 cj2a #193443

http://bshockleywillysrestopics.myphotoalbum.com/
Little Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 6:29pm
The CV joint grease comes in 4 oz. tubes, like a small toothpaste tube.  NAPA and other parts houses has it.  Each knuckle, if dry, will hold 8 oz. per specs.  With knuckle pudding I have heard concerns about possible incompatability of gear oil and grease, but don't know if there is anything to that.  Anyway, with the CV grease there is not the mess of mixing and squirting it in.  Just squirt it in until it blurps back at you.  I use about half a tube a year for maintenance.  Hope this helps.
....Frank 
Frank E.
JohnPiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 9:33pm
Thanks, Frank for the detailed description. This is what I was looking for. My 2A is not completely
dry, I just want to top off the knuckle seals before I go off-roading.

By the way, did you notice any difference in the way your Jeep handled once you fill the steering
knuckles? 
I've heared from other Jeep owners that if the kunckles are low on grease this
will aggravate the infamous "Willys Steering Shake/Shimmy" , especially if you are going over
rough roads.
I think I already have this condition in my CJ due to kingpin bearings starting to
fail. I was hoping to delay changing them by topping off with grease for awhile, but I' not
sure....
Little Green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2010 at 5:49pm
You are welcome, John.
No, I didn't notice any difference in the steering, but then my jeep has only seen pavement once in the last 3 years (except for towing).  In fact it seldom sees a road at all, and 90% of the time it is in low range.  It is my "tractor" on our wooded homestead.  The steering is kind of sloppy.  Last summer I took out on the highway to see if it had the "death wobble".  Got it over 45 downhill trying to stay ahead of a logging truck.  Really spooky, but no death wobble.  I have had rigs with the death wobble...you have to clean your pants after the first timeLOL.

I am not a mechanic like some on this forum, more of a tinkerer, but I doubt the grease would have any effect on the shimmy.  Shimmy is caused by wear on parts between the king pins and steering box.  And usually more than one part.  My own opinion is that most any grease in the knuckles will serve the purpose, even CriscoWink (don't shoot me experts!), as long as it does not leak out.  The knuckle grease just provides lube for the u-joint and knuckle housing ball.  When you think about it, the knuckles do not get alot of stress IF everything is lined up and shimmed properly, especially under the relatively light use jeeps get.  Proper grease is much more important on the high load/stress components like wheel bearings and king pin bearings.  Just my 3 cents.
.....Frank
Frank E.
backwoodsgoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwoodsgoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2010 at 1:21am
The proper lube for the closed knuckle differential is a #0 or #1 sodium based grease this is what is available thru Novak. 

Edited by backwoodsgoop - 23 Mar. 2010 at 1:26am
p_will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 2:34pm
Some more information/updated links:

John Deere corn head grease (available at local JD dealers)

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Special-Purpose-Corn-Head-Gun-Grease-AN102562.html

Novak website on front knuckles:

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/steering-knuckle-repair/

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2017 at 6:07pm
John Deere Corn head grease is available at any good farm equipment store and is exactly what the manual calls for it is 0 grade grease. It comes in a large grease gun sized tube and is dirt cheap at less then $5.00 a tube.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2017 at 1:57am
I use a generous amount of the  JD Corn Head grease too.  Then I top the well off with 85-140.
Dave
44 Willys MB
 Post Reply Post Reply