Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T3-C number 1431

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by canorisa canorisa wrote:

AWESOME!!! CONGRATULATIONS on your restoration.  Your trailer looks Great!!!!  Nicely done! Tongue

Thanks Joel. Your project back in 2010 was one of our early inspirations for getting this done and was probably the reason we chose powder coating over paint. I remember referencing your reassembly photos when we were planning color schemes.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2019 at 2:24pm
Dad got the trailer registered with the DMV. It has a permanent trailer license plate for the first time. Had to be registered as home made because of a lack of historical paperwork, but that seems to be the usual for these when trying to register them.

We took the trailer out on an admittedly ambitious 75 mile round trip shakedown run to pick up a desk. It pulled much smoother than I have ever recalled. Whether that was due to properly packed bearings or smaller tires than usual, it's hard to say. Simply having canvas on the tailgate chains was a major improvement in noise. The only real mishap was that one of the tail light bulbs went out randomly and it's hard to find correct bulbs to fit the model A tail lights. It seems to be an 1156 bulb, but it's a shorter bulb than the standard 1156.

Edited by WellFedHobo - 01 June 2019 at 2:31pm
rcrhea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrhea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2020 at 11:41pm
If you have Model A Tail Lights from Speedway Motors, and need bulb replacements, below is one source that have them:

2fastmoto.com
2FM-44-4121  Light Bulb Turn Signal Bullet Zeppelin 12v 23w #1156

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2020 at 11:39pm
Rcrhea and I got a lot of work done on the side racks today. All of the stakes and top brackets are pretty much set. The left side is complete at this time and the right one just needs a few more holes drilled and such. Once that's done we can disassemble the whole thing again, stain the wood, and seal it up with some sort of finish. Those top bows take a lot of force to fit on the stakes. Seems like one of the top bows purposes may be to provide a lot of spring tension to keep the side racks in place and keep the whole top rigid.

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 2:27am
Wow, I’m jealous!  I wish I could be closer to my trailer right now so that I could finish the wood sides and all.

Quick question.  What type of tarp are you gonna use once you finish?  Or are you just gonna leave bare?  I would definitely recommend covering it.

Let me know on the question and if you would please also post more pictures of different angles of the setup on your trailer.  I think it turned out great!  Congratulations!!!!🥳
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
rcrhea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrhea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:41pm
Joel,
     My son and I have a canvas tarp for use with the bows sitting in the stake pockets.  As for the "chuckwagon" cover, we are planning on taking the trailer and completed Rack to Black Dog Designs in Hot Springs, AR to see what they can offer us.
     Stay tuned.  More photos will be coming.

Richard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 7:58pm
We intend to stain and seal it. Trying to decide on a final color is difficult. A honey oak kind of color would probably be more period correct but we were also thinking about a light red color. 

We hope to have someone make a chuck wagon cover for this. That was the intention from the start (10 years ago!). We do have a military spec flat tarp already for it (seen folded in the picture) specifically so it would match the 4 tie downs per side, and it works with or without the bows. 

Pictures will happen eventually.
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2020 at 10:28pm
Looks great! 
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by rcrhea rcrhea wrote:

Joel,
     My son and I have a canvas tarp for use with the bows sitting in the stake pockets.  As for the "chuckwagon" cover, we are planning on taking the trailer and completed Rack to Black Dog Designs in Hot Springs, AR to see what they can offer us.
     Stay tuned.  More photos will be coming.

Richard

Richard...You and your son have gotten farther on your restoration than I have.  At the present time I'm in the East Coast and my trailer is sitting in a storage locker in the West Coast.  I don't like it but it is what it is at the present time.

I heard from Black Dog Designs from another fellow poster here by the name of Jamie, I believe his name was, if I'm not mistaken.  He got his done at Black Dog as well and it turned out great!  He did shared his drawings with me but I would have to ask permission to share them with you, if you would like to see them.  But I don't know if he is still around here, so I don't know how to get in touch with him.

I'm planning on having a "chuckwagon" style cover made for my trailer, once it's down here in Florida! from a manufacturer I flagged down on the street one day.  I saw one of his vans advertising.  They make covers for windows, boats, pools and all other sorts of stuff.  I plan on having a zipper type, removable front and rear end caps with see through windows.  Well, at least that's the plan anyways.  

I hope you get yours done first so that I can see the end result.  Would you be able to share the dimensions and pictures of yours and prices, of course.  Who knows, depending on how much Black Dog quotes you on this job I might go with them as well, if you go with them at all.  Let me know.

Best of Luck!  

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
rcrhea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrhea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2020 at 10:49pm
PM sent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:28pm
At long last we can call this one complete for now. The trailer itself has been done for a year but we were still working on the accessories. We have an OD flat tarp (original spec for a T3) that works nicely and can work with the top bows if desired. The side racks and top bows were already fitted and ready to go. We just had to wait for nicer weather to stain and seal.

We chose a Minwax pecan stain with a satin polyurethane finish. 

It looks pretty good once the final assembly was done.

The final piece was a nice cover from Black Dog Designs in Mt. Ida, Arkansas. They had done one for another person on here a few years back so we had them make one for us as well since they were only an hour and a half away. 

The back photo is a bit dark, but the back panel has zippers something like a modern Jeep cover that let you roll it up and then tie it with a couple of straps. 

Maybe once this pandemic is over we can actually go somewhere with it. And it may be time to finally find a CJ2A or CJ3A project. 

Edited by WellFedHobo - 02 May 2020 at 9:30pm
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:08pm
That's a real good look!  Is that canvas?  Explain the tie downs a bit.  Are they elastic?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

That's a real good look!  Is that canvas?  Explain the tie downs a bit.  Are they elastic?

It's some sort of really durable weather resistant boat cover material whose name I forget. Sunbrella, perhaps. Its a breathable material that will still keep the weather out. 

The tie downs are an idea we saw on someone else's trailer on here. They're just loops cut from a bad  tire tube with a knot tied in them to hold them in place. We have a couple of bad tubes to work with so those are just the first draft of the tie down idea.
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 1:11am
My vote for 1/4-Ton Trailer of the Year. Very nice work.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
takesiteasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:39am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

My vote for 1/4-Ton Trailer of the Year. Very nice work.

Yes, the project turned out very nice. Looking forward to your coming jeep project!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 5:31pm
In an absolute stroke of luck, I managed to find a nearly NOS condition Fulton 06 on ebay. I wasn't even really looking for one, it was just there and I clicked Buy It Now before I could think. We already had an 06 coupler that's powder coated to match the rest of the trailer, but springs and tabs that work are really hard to find since Fulton discontinued the rebuild kits. What we had wasn't really stable enough to trust going down the road because the spring and tab came from a 2 inch coupler of similar vintage. We can now put together one good working coupler (coupling? The side of it literally says coupling but I've always heard of them called couplers...) that has the correct bends and holes to bolt right up and hopefully trust to stay on the ball.

Not sure if it matters but both of these seem to be really early Fulton 06's. They only have one patent stamped on the side with "others pending". Newer ones have all 3 patents listed. Not sure how much they changed over the years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2020 at 3:58pm
So I went out on the local internet and found this for sale...

Barn find fresh.

To be continued...
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2020 at 10:15pm
MB or early CJ2A windshield frame?  That Jeep looks really nice from here!  I'd have slapped down the cash for that one, no problem!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>