Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

47 cj2a project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2011 at 2:47pm
I think you said it best Lew.
It's not that the Jeep WON'T go over 45 MPH but it is better NOT to drive over 45.
(no offense taken)

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
MFeiden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFeiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2011 at 3:43pm
Wow. I didn't realize that mine was so sick! 
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2011 at 8:13pm
Does yours have wornoutitise?
I would say that many jeeps don't run top speed due to poor timing, poor valve adjustment, poor compression and weak spark.  It's usually a combo of these.  Then even if it's running fine, you can't push it that fast because you can't control the direction of travel well enough to feel safe due to worn out suspension and steering.

I often see folks trying to adjust the carb but that only works the idle circuit. 
One test I have done is to pull it into the shop, leave the hood up and turn out the lights.  It's amazing how much spark leak one can get from 30 year old plug wires!

But that's all cool, they are still fun at 40 mph!

Lew

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
47willysfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47willysfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2011 at 3:38am
Yes sir ! haha my grandpa and i took it out today being i dont quite have a permit yet haha and 35 felt pretty quick ! haha i just did new plugs and wires, points, dist. cap and what not........
thanks a lot about all the info.
Ethan
1948 cj2a s/n 192,151
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2011 at 12:32pm
Alright Ethan, learn all you can from your Grandad.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47willysfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 3:25am
Hello guys,

I've got a question,
the carburetor is leaking a little bit at the base ( orig. carter w-o). I would like to keep it on so would i be ok if i just bought a rebuild kit for it?
also,
were heaters factory original or not, just wondering because mine has one in it.
Thanks a lot !
Ethan
1948 cj2a s/n 192,151
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by 47willysfan 47willysfan wrote:

... the carburetor is leaking a little bit at the base ( orig. carter w-o) ...
Where exactly?  If it's leaking around the throttle shaft, a rebuild kit won't fix it.

Quote ... were heaters factory original or not ...
Yes or not.  They were optional.  Might have been installed at the factory, or afterwards by dealer/owner.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47willysfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2011 at 8:01pm
Ok thanks Sean, I will have to check when I get back to my moms house where the jeep is stored. Also I could not find a single data plate anywhere, although I know the serial number. Also the engine s/n is ground completely off of the water pump boss. Thanks a lot guys
1948 cj2a s/n 192,151
SKMZeiders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKMZeiders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2011 at 10:22pm
Hey, nice ride. I am not far from you and would love to see your progress some time. I live just up the road in Merced and pass by Clovis when going to the in-laws, in fact I have in-laws and relatives in Fresno and Clovis. Maybe you can give me some ideas for my CJ.
Steve

www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1119411819&aid=2104651
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123