Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brakes Still Binding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes Still Binding
    Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 12:10am
A little while back, in the summer, I was having trouble with my brakes bindings after a short while of driving. Conveniently, around the same time someone else on the forums (1943 Ford GPW?) was having the same troubles. The solution posted on his thread was to relieve pressure on the master cylinder via adjusting the push-rod. Since then, I've replaced and adjusted my push-rod to where is has about 1" of free travel before engaging the brakes (which is 1/2" more than it's suppose to be, I know. However, If I didn't go that far back on the push-rod the brakes would still seize up).

Since then, I haven't been driving it much; at least enough to notice whether the problem was fixed or not, until today. I got about 5-8 miles away from home and noticed the problem was re-occurring. It was about 45 degrees outside here today, so not warm at all. Currently, I'm suspecting the master cylinder as the issue now. However, I rebuilt the master cylinder before installation, I was pretty sure it was pretty idiot-proof.

Any idea?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 2:13am
It could be the pressure valve in the piston. It's supposed to hold a small amount of pressure in the wheel cylinders and lines so you don't have to pump them up each time you use them. If it holds to much pressure it could cause the brakes to drag or lock up as they warm up.

Also, the relief hole could be blocked so no matter how much you adjust the push rod the fluid will not not return to the reservoir. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 2:18am
Is it all 4 wheels?  Or just the rear or 1 front?

Occasionally, the rubber brake hoses will get a rip on the inside, and it prevents the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

This leaves pressure in the line from the 'blockage' to the wheel cylinder, making the brakes stick.

So, if it's only the front axle (or one front wheel) or just the rear axle, I would check the rubber lines.

If it's all 4, then I would look into the MC.
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 2:39am
CMK - Two questions: 1) Can you describe better how they are "binding?" Are the brakes locking up, or not releasing? and 2) How have you been adjusting your brake shoes - with a feeler gauge or some other method? ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 5:44am
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

It could be the pressure valve in the piston. It's supposed to hold a small amount of pressure in the wheel cylinders and lines so you don't have to pump them up each time you use them. If it holds to much pressure it could cause the brakes to drag or lock up as they warm up.

Also, the relief hole could be blocked so no matter how much you adjust the push rod the fluid will not not return to the reservoir.

So you're leaning towards the master cylinder theory? Is there any way to test for these problems, or is it just best to replace the MC?

Originally posted by HillBillE HillBillE wrote:

Is it all 4 wheels? Or just the rear or 1 front?

Occasionally, the rubber brake hoses will get a rip on the inside, and it prevents the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

This leaves pressure in the line from the 'blockage' to the wheel cylinder, making the brakes stick.

So, if it's only the front axle (or one front wheel) or just the rear axle, I would check the rubber lines.

If it's all 4, then I would look into the MC.

Yes, it's all 4 wheels. I replaced the rubber brake hoses, but who knows how long they'll last with the quality of stuff today. I'll double check them. Although considering it's all 4, I'm skeptical this would be the culprit.

Originally posted by JeepRoger JeepRoger wrote:

CMK - Two questions: 1) Can you describe better how they are "binding?" Are the brakes locking up, or not releasing? and 2) How have you been adjusting your brake shoes - with a feeler gauge or some other method? ...R

1.) After a little while of driving, not even necessarily using the brakes often,I can feel the jeep get sluggish/ losing power and smell the brakes burning. I believe the shoes are expanding against the inside of the drums and staying expanded, as if you were applying the brakes (all the time). In order to "fix" it, I have to just park it and let it cool down for a while... or back off on the push-rod.. which you can only back off so far...

2.) I've been adjusting the brakes via the adjustment screws (4 per plate) on the back of the backing plate.

Cordell

Edited by CmK - 22 Nov. 2012 at 5:54am
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 6:06am
Cordell... I'm not totally ruling out the master cylinder problem, but from your descriptions so far it is very possible that you have a brake shoe problem. I think your shoes are not set properly and are "dragging" which causes them to heat up and then you experience the "binding" you described. It is correct that the brake shoes are adjusted via the 4 screws (eccentrics) on the back plate, but the question is how are you using those to get the proper adjustment? Unlike later servo-type brakes, the proper setting for these shoes dictates that the curvature of each shoe must be concentrically aligned to the brake drum. To do this you have to start with the two top and two bottom adjusters in the right place (especially the bottom ones), and then use a feeler gauge through the narrow slot in the drums to get the proper setting at the top and at the bottom of each shoe. Do you have a book or service manual that describes the procedure? If not, PM me and I'll send you a copy of some instructions. Also, be sure to set the push rod on the master cylinder so that you only have a maximum of 1" free travel - you don't want your brakes to engage with the pedal near the floor. Keep your chin up - it will take a little effort, but you will get there. ....R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
54ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 6:40am
 I had a 1950 Ford Coupe that did similar.  I could feel it like a loss of power.  All four wheels were hot.  The problem really became apparent when I drove it to the fire station and some one came in saying I left the lights on my Ford.  After a few minutes of sitting the brake lights would come on.

This master cylinder was by no means new.  I did not put it on the car.  I had the car about 3 years and it was on the road for about 3 months, at the time.

On the Ford you could look down in through the cap and see a tiny port.  In the manual this port allowed fluid to flow back from the system into the reservoir.  It was not drilled through, a factory imperfection.  The dimple was there but it was not drilled through.

I drilled it through and the problem was solved.    
jeep(jep)n.[ Creature in a comic strip by E.C.Segar]a small rugged automobile of WWII    
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 7:04am
Originally posted by JeepRoger JeepRoger wrote:

Cordell... I'm not totally ruling out the master cylinder problem, but from your descriptions so far it is very possible that you have a brake shoe problem. I think your shoes are not set properly and are "dragging" which causes them to heat up and then you experience the "binding" you described. It is correct that the brake shoes are adjusted via the 4 screws (eccentrics) on the back plate, but the question is how are you using those to get the proper adjustment? Unlike later servo-type brakes, the proper setting for these shoes dictates that the curvature of each shoe must be concentrically aligned to the brake drum. To do this you have to start with the two top and two bottom adjusters in the right place (especially the bottom ones), and then use a feeler gauge through the narrow slot in the drums to get the proper setting at the top and at the bottom of each shoe. Do you have a book or service manual that describes the procedure? If not, PM me and I'll send you a copy of some instructions. Also, be sure to set the push rod on the master cylinder so that you only have a maximum of 1" free travel - you don't want your brakes to engage with the pedal near the floor. Keep your chin up - it will take a little effort, but you will get there. ....R

This sounds like a logical explanation, too. To adjust them, I start with the lower eccentrics, adjust them to the point of least resistance, then adjust the upper eccentrics until it gets to the point of least resistance. I usually adjust the pads individually, start with the forward bottom eccentric, then do the top eccentric coinciding with the bottom one, then move to the rear bottom eccentric on the same backing plate. Hope that made sense... So no, I do not use a feeler gauge.

I try to adjust them so the wheels rotate relatively freely with very little/no resistance. However, I can never seem to get the back ones to the point where I would like, but I didn't think they were bad enough drag like so, perhaps I was wrong?

Originally posted by 54ball 54ball wrote:

I had a 1950 Ford Coupe that did similar. I could feel it like a loss of power. All four wheels were hot. The problem really became apparent when I drove it to the fire station and some one came in saying I left the lights on my Ford. After a few minutes of sitting the brake lights would come on.

This master cylinder was by no means new. I did not put it on the car. I had the car about 3 years and it was on the road for about 3 months, at the time.

On the Ford you could look down in through the cap and see a tiny port. In the manual this port allowed fluid to flow back from the system into the reservoir. It was not drilled through, a factory imperfection. The dimple was there but it was not drilled through.

I drilled it through and the problem was solved.     

My brake light will also come on when the brakes bind up, and will stay on until they cool off and the pressure release.
54ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 7:09am

CJ2A

I cant get the 49-51 Ford master cylinder pic to load but they are quite similar.

Edited by 54ball - 22 Nov. 2012 at 7:17am
jeep(jep)n.[ Creature in a comic strip by E.C.Segar]a small rugged automobile of WWII    
54ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 7:30am
 I'm pretty confident it's that relief hole.  Some of these replacement castings are not as finely finished and or may be unfinished castings from 60 plus years ago. Since the hole is small, a piece of trash could easily block it.

It's almost like a ghost is putting on the brakes.  Other than pressure build up in the system, what else could it be that sets the brake light off?  If I remember right it took a 1/8 bit.

Edited by 54ball - 22 Nov. 2012 at 7:34am
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 1:39pm
I've had this problem on another car of mine. A simple test is to drive it until it binds up and crack open a brake line fitting and see if it relieves the pressure and frees up the brakes without touching the brake petal. If it does, it's your master cylinder! I once had a problem with a MG I did a brake job on. I honed the wheel cylinders. The surface left inside was too rough and hung up the cups and wouldn't release the brakes. Ended up buying new wheel cylinders and fixed it. I had a kit car lock up the brakes and it ended up not the master, but the mechanical button type brake switch stopped the brake arm from coming all the way back in the master and held the brakes on. The discs heated up the fluid and expanded which applied the brakes. Re-adjusted the switch and it let the piston come all the way back to the correct position. It's just that simple. Kind of embarrasing sitting there with your red hot rod and it won't move. It still would spin the back tires thoughLOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 3:31pm
It's sounding like the problem is in the master cylinder. Either the relief valve or the bleed off hole.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2012 at 5:43pm
I know you said that you had adjusted the pushrod (several times, sounds like), but are you sure the master cylinder piston is returning all the way? It needs to come all the way back to the snap ring. Dirt, rust, part of the boot, etc could be preventing it from coming all the way back. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 5:40am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

I know you said that you had adjusted the pushrod (several times, sounds like), but are you sure the master cylinder piston is returning all the way? It needs to come all the way back to the snap ring. Dirt, rust, part of the boot, etc could be preventing it from coming all the way back. BW

No, I'm really not 100% sure the piston is making a full come-back. I believe I do have a new master cylinder lying around, somewhere. I'll try to pop that in as soon as I can and drive around my black a dozen times or so... if that doesn't work I'll dig deeper into the brake pad adjustments... sound like they could potentially be part of the problem, too. I'll let everyone know the results as soon as I can.

Cordell
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2012 at 2:02pm
I may have mentioned this before ....I used a Crown kit to rebuild my master on my GPW once, and had the same problem as you, as the rebuild parts included some sort of seal or spacer I installed as the diagram showed behind the piston and in front of the snap ring mentioned above. This made the return stroke of the piston so it came back just short of uncovering that little bleedback hole, and it built pressure up as it got warmer. I removed the spacer/seal /whatever the heck it was and the master was able to return to the proper position and not build pressure. I don't know if that part was for another application or what the deal was.

Just another thing to check, and it does the same thing as the too tight pushrod. If you take the top cover and fill plug off and push down on the brakes, you should see a little squirt of fluid out of that hole as the first thing that happens...If no squirt, that hole is either blocked, plugged, or dirty. or there is a piston return issue.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I may have mentioned this before ....I used a Crown kit to rebuild my master on my GPW once, and had the same problem as you, as the rebuild parts included some sort of seal or spacer I installed as the diagram showed behind the piston and in front of the snap ring mentioned above. This made the return stroke of the piston so it came back just short of uncovering that little bleedback hole, and it built pressure up as it got warmer. I removed the spacer/seal /whatever the heck it was and the master was able to return to the proper position and not build pressure. I don't know if that part was for another application or what the deal was.

Just another thing to check, and it does the same thing as the too tight pushrod. If you take the top cover and fill plug off and push down on the brakes, you should see a little squirt of fluid out of that hole as the first thing that happens...If no squirt, that hole is either blocked, plugged, or dirty. or there is a piston return issue.

This is good to know. As I recall an "extra piece" going through the rebuild.

Here's the verdict: I replaced the MC, and went from having binding brakes to no brakes... I did bleed them (a lot), however I think they just need a lot more bleeding; at least that's my prediction. In order to get any response from the brakes I really need to pump them...

Edited by CmK - 25 Nov. 2012 at 9:03pm
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2012 at 9:06pm
You may want to get closer to the factory spec for your free play at the pushrod now that you have a good master cylinder.. Each little bit of extra play is just that much farther down you need to push the pedal before you have brakes.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

CmK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CmK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 1:04am
I've adjusted the push-rod (all the way till it disconnected) and bled the lines a great deal and I still have to pump the pedal at least twice in order to stop/get a solid pedal.

I was going through the manual today (as a last resort ), and noticed you're suppose to fill the master cylinder half way and use the push rod to pump the fluid through the fitting prior to installing it on the frame... I did not do this. Isn't this just to help with the bleeding after it's installed?

Any idea why there is still no pedal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>