Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now the Fun Begins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now the Fun Begins
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2013 at 11:34pm
I've been lurking around this site for many years gleaning information from the vast knowledge base of the mebership and those willing to share.  I'll be dipping into this resource from time to time because I decided I'm all in.  What started of as a large puddle of gear oil on my shop floor after a tranny fill in my jeep,

called for a tranny and trans case overhaul, since it jumps out of second gear anyway.  So over the Holidays I took one day and ended up with this becasue I thought it would be easier to work on.

Now I'm thinking about what all I could do and I don't know where I'm going to stop. 

Items on my wish list are:

1.  Engine refresh (overhaul).  It runs good, use oil, and I think its real tired.

2. Brake and Clutch assemblies.  Orignal was replaced by firewall mounted GM units and I would like to go back as close to original as possible.  I have nothing in parts really so I will be posting in the Items Wanted section as I move ahead.

3.  Body repair.  Not in bad shape but has the typical hat channel and corrosion area's.  Floor boards were nicely repalced with diamond plate but I may remove and fit with new pieces sicnce I will be putting in original pedals.  Then What Color?  Originally Normandy Blue but its been orange to me for 27 years, plus I dont mind if it gets a little scratch.

4.  I have a winch that I would like to see if I can get hooked up from the PTO.  Dont know what that will take.

5.  I'm missing the inner windshield frame and may look for one of those to make it more original.

My goal is a solid driver as close to period correct as practical.  My numbers are all close, body numbers match but my engine is a 3J# or 3A vintage. A concours restoration is not in the cards.  I want it to be as close to original equipment as possible, mainly to the untrained eye.  I'll be posting in the Tech section as I progress to share, and to seek advise.  I wouldn't begin to atempt this myself without being a memeber of this site.  I've posted under 89cat since that was my original member sign-up but I'm also RMahan (was absent for years and forgot I already registered). 

Thanks to this site, and to all those that take the time to share.  I'll be around.

Robin
Kind Regards,

Robin M
'48 #170747
ericbkauffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericbkauffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 12:06am
I have a feeling when I start " fixing " mine Ill be following in your foot steps as I always tend to go all in head first. Welcome and Good luck, Eric
Cj2a 20872
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 12:29am
Nice looking Jeep, looks as if you have a very nice shop to work in as well!. I love the grill guard, looks as if someone spent some time making it, and the sprocket on the pto for the winch is interesting, is there any remains of the driven sprocket or the forward winch shaft?. Best of luck to you on your project, seems you have a good start.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2013 at 11:05pm
I agree with Lee! That thing is Awesome! Nice start!
89cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2013 at 9:50pm
"Nice looking Jeep, looks as if you have a very nice shop to work in as well!. I love the grill guard, looks as if someone spent some time making it, and the sprocket on the pto for the winch is interesting, is there any remains of the driven sprocket or the forward winch shaft?. Best of luck to you on your project, seems you have a good start."
Thanks Lee,

I'm fortunate to have the access to a nicely outfitted shop and even some good help when I need it.  The grill guard is a feature I'm very fond of.  Someone did a nice job.  Here is another shot of it,

There are no remains of a driven sprocket or shaft up to the winch.  I'm not sure it was evey accomplished on this rig.  I'm not sure how it would miss the exhaust and drag link although I'm looking forward to trying.

Robin
Kind Regards,

Robin M
'48 #170747
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2013 at 11:33pm
I've seen people make a shaft in pillow blocks for the winch. They do travel in tight quarters though. I think they run under the cross member or re route exhaust.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2013 at 11:40am
My  Koenig PTO winch off my early CJ5 ran up thru the tight area next to the trans and was attached to a block bolted to the bellhousing and up above the bellcrank to the winch, it is a two piece shaft with two ujoints to thread the shaft thru all the clutch linkage. Yes the exhaust was rerouted below the crossmember. Sure wish I'd backed those pics up on a external hard drive! I'd still have them to share. It used the model 51 takeoff box for the trans. I've never see a sprocket on the yoke before but it does solve the twin PTO problem and wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a homebuilt setup to drive the winch again, after all a koenig pto uses #50 chain inside a box to do the same thing.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

89cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2013 at 5:04pm
Willysnut,
Can you explain the twin Pto problem? I've been wondering how I can isolate the winch so both don't run especially when i use the rear PTO. I'll add more on this topic in tech as I get to that.

Thanks
Kind Regards,

Robin M
'48 #170747
 Post Reply Post Reply