Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mercedes diesel swap info request

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
generaldisarray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mercedes diesel swap info request
    Posted: 17 May 2022 at 6:13pm
I guess I never gave a update? I did finish it, almost 9 years ago. I drove it back and forth to work for at least a year, whenever there was no rain in the forecast. I have since taken a new job that cut my commute from 30 minutes a day to two. More importantly, I now leave before the wife instead of after. As I park the Willys in the tandem garage in front of her vic, the opportunities to drive it to work now are few. Leaving only weekends and such. I have not put fuel in it in at least two years. If that says anything.
It is a blast to drive.
here are some pros and cons

pros; plenty of power, very "drivable" as the pump was made for use on a road vic, leaves people asking alot of questions, fun to drive , shakes alot at idle

cons; shakes alot at idle, needs taller gearing, messes up the wifes hair.

brushtrooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brushtrooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2021 at 8:33pm
I know this is an old post but I wanted to see if anyone has successfully made this swap work?
DAX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2020 at 12:39pm
I am rethinking installing the Kubota V1903 - I have a Thermo King Isuzu C201 in my 51 Willys CJ3A that I thought had lost all compression - The engine was gummed - all fuel systems - with a thick coating of bad diesel. I have never had diesel go bad as this tank full did - I spent several days using various cleaners and a pressure washer to clean the fuel tank - replaced fuel lines - and now am removing injectors and soaking - the coating is like dry dark honey - never experienced this before - decades of diesel use.  Anyone out there had a similar problem. The CJ sat unused for about 6 months while I was recuperating - what a mess.
DAX
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 6:23am
Welcome to the page, DAX!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
DAX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 8:26pm
Hi - New to site - I have a 51 CJ-3A original except I put an Isuzu ThermoKing diesel in about 2 years ago - but it is cratered- funds are minimal so I have a Kubota V1903 E2B engine and my neighbor and I are going to install. Too much investment to rebuild the original flathead or the Isuzu. Anyone with tips to offer I would appreciate. My neighbor is an old timer -as I am - but he is a master machinist - so that helps in fabing mounting parts. The E2B is listed as a tier 2 industrial model and it runs like a champ. Thanks for any input.
DAX
gearhead74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:05pm
good morning hey i am thinking of doing the same engine install in my 47 cj2a i have the same diesel engine and i am wondering if you have the dimensions of your drawing as i am very interested in this pretty cool that you have done and made the plate ,what did you do for cltch and flywheel ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2014 at 11:11pm
finally some pictures

q&a to follow

Edited by generaldisarray - 11 Jan. 2014 at 11:31pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 5:14pm
http:////drive.google.com/file/d/0B_nfCLVEW0a5Nnd5SENVdFRWSm8/edit?usp=sharing

This is a pdf see if it works. then I will put up one with dimensions.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 4:10pm
general, i am computer illiterate so i dont know if this laptop will open those type of files or not. Guess we can try and see. As for the pics, dont make a special trip over and set up just to do them, i am not to the point of doing it yet, just was inquiring so this thread was not lost and forgotten as i am just at the stage of getting my mind wrapped around what and how i want to do it. I looked at the om617 pan mod link you shared...and that is kinda along the lines of what i am thinking i will be doing with this 616 engines pan as my friend seems to think it wont be to big a problem to make a pattern and cast up a new shaped pan. If we do and it works out well, i will probably see about making a few extras to offer up for sale to help defray the cost of making them as i really think the 616 would be one of the best candidates for the old willys conversions with them being so easy to find and cheap compared to most others and they have almost identical ratings as the L134 does in stock form. Thanks for the link and when ya get the time and are there snap some pics please.   
So many projects and so little time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 3:48pm
kansascat, can you open dxf or dwg?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 3:15pm
No I didnt. I had help over to assist with the tub install when I originally planned to take a few pictures. The help proved to be a little impatient, and I didnt get the chance. I will setup some work lights in the garage tonight and take a few crappy pics. 
By chance have you seen the oilpan mods thay do for Toyota-OM617 swaps?
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 3:36am
G gnome, yeah. I probably will make a new oil pan for it...with the help of a talented friend whos family owns a foundry. He looked at the engine on the stand and when i said i had to solve the issue of the front sump cast aluminum oil pan the first thing outg of his mouth was " well lets just cast up a new one with the sump where ya need it to be" K sounds good to me...but i have not opened it up yet to see what will be required to modify the oil pickup to work with it. Like my dad used to say...a man built it the first time, it cab be built again.....right?
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 1:38am
I did see an m38 in Rhode Island that had this engine.  The put spacer blocks between the spring hangers and the frame on the front to make room for the oil pan.  They did not do it in the rear so the jeep had a reverse rack on it.  The owner did say it drove nice and they get really good mpg with it.
1952 m38
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 1:18am
You guys do realize the oil pan will be a big issue with the differential. That is what make the mercedes engines so difficult to use.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 12:46am
Just checking in to see if by chance ya got any pics taken before the acrtic blast hit.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2013 at 7:38am
For those watching this thread, i ran across some pics i took of the benz diesel engine that i got. I put it on my engine stand and rigged it up to get it running as it had been sitting out in the tree row for many years before i hauled the old car home and pulled it out. The front sump oil pans they used is the biggest hurdle it looks like to me, and i have a buddy whos family owns a foundry and he is very talented at making molds and casting stuff and seems to think he can cast a new oil sump for me with a rear sump....if i cant just modify the sheet metal oil pan part of it to get the needed front dif clearances.

Edited by kansascat - 22 Dec. 2013 at 7:40am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote generaldisarray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2013 at 5:46pm
Ill take some pictures this weekend. It is too dark in the garage.
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2013 at 10:39pm
Cant wait to see pictures of this project....my dad loved loved loved those Mercedes Benz diesels...when he died he had 3 of them...I dont think I have ever seen one in early Willys Jeep tho...this will be a neat project to watch...

thanks for sharing your project on here.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>