Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hudson Steering setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hudson Steering setup
    Posted: 08 Apr. 2015 at 4:15pm
I am looking for a complete Hudson steering setup for my 1949 CJ2A. I know it's a longshot but if one of the members is doing a restoration on a Jeep with the conversion, perhaps they might like to sell it and go back to the OE steering. Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks in advance
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 12:06am
Ok, I am going to bite...what is a "Hudson steering set-up?"
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 12:30am
Do you maybe mean a ross steering box and the rest of the links? If so, I have a complete set up available.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 12:35am
And the plot thickens.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 2:23am
A common upgrade (back in the days before Saginaw) was to replace the jeep Ross box with one out of a Hudson car. Not sure which one, don't know that I've ever heard.....maybe Hornet ( maybe not)

Supposed to have been a little quicker ratio and was still a Ross style box (possibly made by Ross also....don't know)

Was a common upgrade evidently for a little quicker box for vehicles with frame mounted steering boxes as some of the older, traditional style hot rodders use them too as a 'period ' upgrade.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 3:45am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

A common upgrade (back in the days before Saginaw) was to replace the jeep Ross box with one out of a Hudson car. Not sure which one, don't know that I've ever heard.....maybe Hornet ( maybe not)

Supposed to have been a little quicker ratio and was still a Ross style box (possibly made by Ross also....don't know)

Was a common upgrade evidently for a little quicker box for vehicles with frame mounted steering boxes as some of the older, traditional style hot rodders use them too as a 'period ' upgrade.

Thank you Sir, for the Info

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 4:08am
Big smileHere you go.......

A good buddy of mine (RIP) had one in his '34 Ford and was forever talking about it being "the perfect cross between manual and power steering".

Edited by rocnroll - 09 Apr. 2015 at 4:31am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 1:43pm
I am the Larry that the Ewillys guy wrote about. I had a 1954 CJ3B that had a Hudson steering setup. It was excellent. Sure do miss that Jeep. One of the few vehicles I regret getting rid of.

My understanding of a Hudson Steering conversion is that it consists of a steering box from a 1951-1953 Hudson Hornet, the steering column and wheel and a modified draglink.  If I knew exactly how to do it, I could just source the parts but I do not. There was a Jeep fellow here in Denver (Don Sr. at Mile Hi Jeep)who knew pretty much everything about this sort of thing but he passed away a few years ago so that knowledge is lost.

I'm hoping that someone here might have a Jeep with the Hudson stuff swapped in and that they might be restoring theirs to original and might want to sell the Hudson stuff.

By the way, my stock steering with a tightsteer is very good right now. I just wanted the Hudson setup because it is a cool period conversion and I really liked the one I had in my 3B.

Edited by Lemield - 09 Apr. 2015 at 3:20pm
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2015 at 5:17pm
  One of those might have been in my 2A when I got it, all I know is that it steered real easy and pulled nice with a tow bar.  I must have scrapped it after I changed it back to original because it isn't around here now.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2015 at 1:05am
I believe that the Hudson conversion was also considered more 'heavy duty' than the standard CJ2A/3A Ross box. Pretty cool, I think. Maybe you ought to drop an old Merc flathead V8 in, too...
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2015 at 1:16am
I've heard of that being done....is there a kit for that? Wink
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2015 at 1:28am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I've heard of that being done....is there a kit for that? Wink

I am sure Novak has something… Merc flathead to Ford top loader??
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2015 at 1:38am
Naaa....C4

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2015 at 4:06pm
I might be able to purchase all the parts I need from a local Hudson guy that I found. Will probably go see him this weekend to see if he has what I need.
If I am able to get the parts, I will start a new Hudson steering conversion thread in the Modifications from Original section when I do my conversion.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Tourville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tourville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2016 at 6:23pm

Any News on this HUDSON steering box swap ?

Putting my all original 1949 CJ3A on road in a few weeks
& the Original Ross Box needs to hit the shelf .
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 2:53pm
It can't be just any old Hudson box.....
There are two types if I recall.
One that is mounted inside the frame and one that is mounted outside the frame.
If you flip it over, it turns the opposite way when you turn the wheel I've been told.
When I was about 6 years old, a fellow Jeep owner in our club did this swap. (as many did)
But he got the wrong box (told everyone how much cheaper it was)
The story was that when he went out the driveway the Jeep turned the wrong way.
Believe it... or not.
Tourville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tourville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 3:21pm

I'd read somewhere look for a 1951 - 1953 Hornet
and should include the Pitman Arm .

I would think the 1954 would be the same box as HUDSON
were not big on budgets .
ahmichigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahmichigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2020 at 1:45am
Getting 2 Hudson steering boxes coming my way.
Excited to do the conversion. I will report back in a few weeks.
I’ll also take pictures as I go!

Seating Capacity of a CJ-2a is 4 adults or 1 adult and 14 cub scouts. :) CJ-2A 1946 #22740
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>