Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snow plow for cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snow plow for cj2a
    Posted: 15 June 2015 at 7:53pm
I have been looking for a Willys with a snow blade set up for a bit.  I don't really like what I have run across so far.  All the blades seam to be way over built and heavy for my needs.  I am not a proficient web search guy either-apparently!  Since my project Cj2a is getting close to completion, I have decided to put a plow system on it.  I have gone the 12 volt system so an electric blade will work (I am guessing)
I am looking for advice and a possible source for a 5' or 6' blade system without forty tons of angle iron behind it to raise and lower it.  Hit me with the facts good people.
Thanks Mike Allen
Michael D. Allen
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 1:41am
You might look for a modern Pickup truck type plow and adapt it to your needs. I have seen a few on TV shows that looked very light and appeared to work very well.

The Guy on "Chasing Classic Cars" on the Velocity channel was using one the other day on the show to clear his parking lot.

his business name in Portland Connecticut is F40

email him and ask him what his plow is.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 2:06am
Mike,
I've been thinking about the same thing.  Only I am thinking I will adapt a UTV blade to the Jeep.  They are lighter weight, but designed and built for a vehicle of similar size.   Good luck with your search.
Mike
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2015 at 4:33am
Were it me, I would find a later model Meyer hydro turn off a CJ5/7, lighter weight and fairly reasonable. A co worker found one for $600 last winter and installed it on a Dodge Dakota. I found one a couple years back for $200 and adapted it to a Kubota tractor. keep your eyes open, they are out there and few people want a 6-7' plow anymore.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
PapaC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PapaC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 2:48am
Here's a snow plow for sale on eBay with a rusty cj3b behind it. For the price it might? be worth looking at.

eBay item #261931610706

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261931610706
bigshow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 6:09am
I believe it's Western that builds a 6 1/2 or 7 foot blade steel framed with poly on it very lightweight
mogger7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mogger7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 5:10pm
I.ve got a 6 ft Myers . Its on a 51 3a jeep has been sitting for yrs out in the yard. 6 volt i'm sure and I'm guessing it works ale the mounting hardware is still mounted to the jeep you bring the wrenches and $100.00 and its yours and I even have a torch to make it easy
I could get pic's this weekend when someone comes over to take pic's
mogger7
mogger7
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 2:41am
I have a Fisher homesteader plow on my 2A.  I have a 12 volt conversion and plow lots of snow in my restored 2A in NH.  Last year she was really put to the test on my 500' driveway.  things get dicey when we have over 10" of snow.  It is not the 10" that is the issue, it is the drifts.  I  am very conservative when I plow- no jamming the banks- I don't want a bent frame!  and no chains - snow tires yes,  chains no.  chains are very hard on a drive-train.

good luck - 
Jeff
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 3:45am
Been thinking about the same thing about heavy blades so I too would like to find something lighter thought the ATV blade was just a bit short in length & height. Thought I might rig it to run off my front winch much the same as an ATV set-up to avoid all the weight and stuff...
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 4:00am
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 4:11am
Interesting composition Rick, don’t know what poly-carb blade wouldn’t work if you’re careful.
Knowing  I could repair a steel blade if I bang it up would be useful for me though.

I have a friend in town that rigged a 2X6 to drag around behind his jeep. Says it works good enough to keep his drive open for the family car.

Edited by BENSH - 20 June 2015 at 4:17am
    1945 CJ2a 11495
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 1:48pm
Here is another option, don't know about price

Though there was a company in MN that manufactured something similar but couldn't find it.
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
m allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 9:39pm
Thanks to all that responded to my quest for snow plow info.  And special thanks to Mogger7 for the offer.  I am continuing to research the possibilities.  I will share the results in another post in the future.
Thanks again,  Mike Allen
Michael D. Allen
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 10:55pm
Mike.. my dad put a snowplow on his CJ-3A.

Plowing snow beat the crap out of his jeep over the years... front springs.. frame... clutch and transmission...

It was the first thing to go off that jeep after Dad died.  These jeeps are too lightly constructed to be satisfactory snowplow vehicles, IMHO.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
 Post Reply Post Reply