Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 3:22am
Yes, it looks great--except for that tiny, tiny Bubba touch on the front fenders at the shock mounts...  But hey, I have no room to talk.  Ol' Unreliable won't win any non-Bubba contests, that's for sure!  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 5:27am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yes, it looks great--except for that tiny, tiny Bubba touch on the front fenders at the shock mounts...  But hey, I have no room to talk.  Ol' Unreliable won't win any non-Bubba contests, that's for sure!  Smile
There is a little bubba in all of us
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 6:06am
I finally get to start on the wiring with a Walcks harness, so one of the things I have found is the lack of images on routing and clamp location or what hole the harness goes through so I want to post my progress through the install so to start with here is the generator to regulator and a extra ground from the distributor to the generator,and next is the passenger head light over and across to the terminal block and the drivers headlight to the block , this harness has provisions for turn signals , now this is as far as I got tonight.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 12:44pm
Shadow: many of us look forward to seeing your Harness replacement text and photos. Keep 'em coming, thanks!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 4:55am
Sorry this is out of order but I also installed new glass on the weekend and it was much easier than I thought, I used dish soap to lube the windshield frame and the glass setting tape, I relief cut the corners of the tape so not to bunch up in the corners, so with lots of soap and a little patience the glass slid into place and after I pressed into place I trimmed the tape to fit and after the upper frame was pressed down into place and secured I finished up by trimming the excess tape around the frame.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:14am
Ok next step in installing the harness thread the right side harness through the fire wall this is for the regulator charge line, this taps into the battery power and to the amp meter                                                  next to the drivers side harness this runs along the drivers fender to the headlight dimmer switch and up to the fire wall through a grommet and what I did was have all the connectors for the turn signals inside the dash                   so from there I moved onto the tail light harness and with all the connections under the dash it keeps the fire wall clean looking and original, now with the tail light harness running out the same grommet down to the brake light switch with the tail light harness threading through a hole in the frame where the brake line runs to the rear axle.                                                                                              
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:37am
With the tail light harness through the hole in the frame it runs down the frame and that is as far as I got with that part of the harness, now back to the main harness on the fire wall there is the horn connections to the horn brush and then at the horn itself        Now back under the dash to the head light switch                                                                and you can see in the last image I have the toggle switch for the dash light, I will show more under dash photos in just a little bit, as for the next step I did was with the tail lights and the connections with threading the new wires through the boot- spring-alignment base for the tail light bulb and soldering the connectors onto the wires and using dual wall shrink tube to insulate the connector from the spring and preventing any shorting to ground or any other gremlins.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 5:53am
Next on the list was clamp up the tail light harness and the crossover wires to the right side tail light                                             Now onto under the dash to tie up the loose wires and make small adjustments to the routing and test everything like the fuel gauge, and amp meter                  [IMG]     
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 1:47am
Wow, that looks nice!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 2:12am
Your attention to detail is amazing,keep up the good work and the pictures coming. 

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 5:45am
Thanks , so on to the next and that is the signal lights, this is where I get to install my swap meet find the signal stat 800 , so before I installed it I used a multi meter to test for continuity, after proving all the contacts were good on it went.
I started by extending the wires from the signal stat solder and shrink tube all the leads and add the bullet connectors to connect to the tail light harness and front signal/marker lights .
As for a flasher the people at NAPA crossed the flasher I was looking for with their own brand of flasher that works very well.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 4:43am
Next on the list was the signal lights making sure the lights are all working.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2019 at 11:19am
Looks great! If I have one regret on mine, it would be not using and original type wiring harness. It really completes the look. 

Great work!! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2019 at 2:05am
So now its just little stuff with checking and setting the timing and setting up the carb to proper specs, now this went well with only minor adjustments like when I first set the timing it was by ear and how it sounded when cranking and I was only 3 deg. out and the vac gauge was showing good vac and smooth with idle at 800 rpm.                                Next it was a home made shifter boot for the transfer case just until I can get a reproduction later, this will keep out some of the fumes out too.                                             Then on to the shift problem , originally I checked out the trans with a quick look inside and for the most part it all looked ver.y good, gears looked clean with no rust I did notice some play in the main shaft back and forth but thought it should be fine, well after test driving with a little road trip I found it jumps out of second on deceleration, so after watching Ricks u tube on the T90 , wow some great info so off with the shift cover to check a little closer as to what is wrong, so there is some for and aft movement in the main shaft and wear in the second gear synchro teeth and in the shift tower I replaced the loose fitting shift fork pin with a roll pin , this tightened up the fork and then shimming up the detent spring for second gear , now I just need to go for another test drive to see if my temp repairs will work until a later date when I will rebuild the trans.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 5:47am
Success with the new roll pin and detent spring for the second gear jumping out, I just went for a little test drive and I wasn't able to make it jump out at all
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 11:43am
Great job Andy on your build and your smile says it all.Well done.Clap

Giles.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2019 at 11:42pm
So--It looks like your almost ready for the Cherryville hills! We got a few trails waiting for you!!  LOLThumbs Up
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:44am
looking forward to a little trail riding soon, soon
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 25>