Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking forward...#69750

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking forward...#69750
    Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:05am
So I posted up some old photo's I have with an abbreviated backstory here (<---"clicky")...

I lurked here most of the spring, reading... joined late spring and continued my education, hoping to make an informed purchase when the opportunity presented itself.  That investment of time proved invaluable, IMO  (thanks to all, the way information is given freely here instead of hoarded away and lost speaks volumes).  I'm looking for a driver that I can sate my rekindled jeepaholism for a few years, with an eye towards picking up a second when my youngest is out of school, and then taking one of them frame off at that point...

A Craigslist add presents itself (a "thank you" to Dave over to ewillys), tons of photos are headed my way, and an hour or so on the phone with the seller has me hearing a lot of what I want to hear and little of what I don't... still, it's a bit of a leap of faith.  Just the trip from MA to MI to see it in person is an investment.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained though, ...right?

Hook up the trailer and head out Friday night after work, around 8pm.  MA/NY/PA/OH/IN/MI finds me rolling into the sellers driveway about 11:30am.  More discussion, a good "look see", test drive, paperwork, loading and gone by 1:30p... turn and burn.  Somewhere in Ohio I stop around 7pm and catch about 4 hrs shuteye in the cab of the truck, and press on by 11pm.  Southern diversion out of blinding snow in PA around 2am, and PA/NY/CT/MA arrival around 3pm Sunday.

Everything the seller described is as I found it, the good and the bad.  I knew heading out that the motor was not original.  I knew from the pics it had a Kaiser supersonic head, the only thing that I didn't expect to find was a full Henry J supersonic engine...by no means a deal breaker.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:09am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:12am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:19am
I've started by removing the obvious... roll bar, day night mirror etc... The brake and clutch pedals will be going back.   Without the original engine I'm on the fence about the 12v conversion (all the "original" 6v components came with)...  I knew it needed springs before I left MA... I've already solved that, at least in principle.  ;)

It's had some frame horn work, some patch panel and floor/hat channel repair...and I couldn't be happier, lol...

Onward from here, and again a general thank you to the forum...

MB

Edited by mbullism - 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:39am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 6:02am
Your Jeep looks fantastic! That blue is one of the most beautiful colors I've ever seen on a Willys, especially with the white wheels. It looks like you have some fun work ahead of you, and using a nice foundation is priceless. I look forward to seeing more pictures Thumbs Up
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 12:11pm
Looks like a solid Jeep! Clap

http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php

Edit: I see it is already in the data! Embarrassed
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 2:17pm
The database was a useful tool sorting through craigslist adds...  I bet I probably submitted the basic info on this one before I went to bed that Sunday, lol... (insert gratuitous kid on xmas morning reference here)

I'm 99% that the original color was Normandy Blue.  It's been red, yellow, and the current royal (which does look bomb in the sun, lol)  The body is not without warts, but the "major" stuff I need to address right away can be done without violating the exterior paint for the most part (fender brace at the frame, reattachment of the spare tire carrier fenderwell stiffener, etc.)...

I am looking forward to where this takes me...
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 2:34pm
Congrats on a nice looking flatty.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Congrats on a nice looking flatty.

Thanks, Jpet... No small part of making the decision easier was a decent amount of this type of stuff from the PO and the PPO for all manner of work and period correct parts:
I know this receipt is 20 years old, but comparing the mileage at the time with the current working odo, turns out 20 years ago is only 3100 miles as the crow flies LOL

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 5:56pm
No fair starting with a beautiful jeep.
You must sell that thing right now and get something uglier and rustier. Wink

That is a wonderful find and will provide many years of fun, both on the trails and in the garage.
Congratulations!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 8:06pm
Very nice looking find!  Have fun with it!  Is the data plate on the dash brass?  Seems like I remember that being a rare bird...or an early one anyway!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by ricco ricco wrote:

... Is the data plate on the dash brass?...

It certainly appears to be, and I did take note ;)

From Sean's dash plate survey thread, the SN "69750" fits:

Later, the "Jeep" script and graphics were changed from solid to outlined. It appears the first versions of this tag were made from brass.

lowest known VIN: 63072 

highest known VIN: 80861 

After brass, the plates were made identically from zinc and/or aluminum. Insufficent data to say which came first.

lowest known VIN: 71008

highest known VIN: 217424

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2016 at 5:04am
When it's entirely too quiet downstairs, and you find the kids... in the garage
 Post Reply Post Reply