Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

46 CJ2A #69750

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 46 CJ2A #69750
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2024 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Resistance is futile Wink...
D18 shift rod seal(s)...no doubt the toughest fight I've had to date... I "win" LOL
I'd been threatening to try this... Hon? Do we still have that rock polisher gizmo we bought the kids 15+ years ago? 
A handful of bits and a scoop of play sand... it runs in the background while I'm doin' sumpin' else Thumbs Up

Joe makes a tool for removing these bastards with ease, just say’in☝️

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2024 at 5:41pm
  I recognize those bits - they’re the same ones that I know I have, but I’ve been spending hours searching for them. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2024 at 5:36pm
Resistance is futile Wink...
D18 shift rod seal(s)...no doubt the toughest fight I've had to date... I "win" LOL
I'd been threatening to try this... Hon? Do we still have that rock polisher gizmo we bought the kids 15+ years ago? 
A handful of bits and a scoop of play sand... it runs in the background while I'm doin' sumpin' else Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2024 at 3:19pm
First thing I did, BW, and everything else is in surprisingly good nick...  I haven't measured things yet, and I may just replace them still (because this jeep is my daily driver off/on) but just by eye the caged rollers and the inside of the intermediate look new... no galling, chipping or even wear marks let alone something that'd catch a nail.  

This case didn't come out because it had symptoms, it came out as a convenience of sorts.  everything beyond the shaft is crisp and new, and a bunch of stuff has the "W" on it Question
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2024 at 1:50pm
  Look inside your intermediate gear. Im afraid you might find the same kind of wear in there. Hope not. 
BW 

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2024 at 1:19pm
So following up on my perfectly timed shredding of the syncro collar in my post FCT T90... recall the original T90 in this jeep was popping out of second when I bought it.  In an effort to save down time I had bought another t90/d18 set, rebuilt them (ok, ok...refurbed) and they went in with the engine.  The original T90 eventually got rebu-, ehem, refurbed, and went on the shelf.  Time to get after the d18, and put them back in as a pair.  The recently refurbed d18 will go on the shelf, and I suspect I'll find nothing wrong with the T90 except broken clutch dogs Confused

I any event, pleasantly surprised to find the original d18 full of new stuff and in great shape.  Less than pleasantly surprised to find a distressed intermediate shaft Ouch
I have a novack shaft on hand, so no worries, but what do you all make of the "W"?  Could this be a Willys part? 
My parts list has 642188 for the shaft and a moderate search isn't hitting on various forms of 18.187-4 Thumbs Down

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2023 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Nice!.......tell us more.

Swap meet find... WWII vintage USN "battle lantern"/signal lantern.  Several companies made these for the war effort, this one is a Delta Electrical out of Marion. Indiana.  It has a lug on the back that would have fit its counterpart secured to bulheads around a sub / ship/ etc. to be removed when needed.

I believe it to be early-ish because the "switch" is a gasketed rocker that actually operates a typical toggle switch internally...later versions had the switch itself mounted through the case for direct operation.  The top and reflector glass are fully gasketed so they are waterproof, with a single 1491 G8 2.4V 0.8amp bulb, ehem, "powered" (lol) by two 1.5 volt EN6 batteries in series (discontinued).

These went through several iterations up into the plastics age, 1960's I think, not sure how far up they went though.  There are kits available to convert them to LED as well as modern power supplies or fake vintage look battery cells with internal racks for D cells.  I found a modern replacement for the 1.5V originals at 200amp hrs (so like 8x the life of the originals) but they are pricey Confused  I also tracked down a box of ten of the original bulbs so it can remain (almost) stock for the forseeable future Thumbs Up

Just like the jeep, some manufacturers turned to selling a civilian version after the war, and I understand they saw widespread use on the railroads -

Edited by mbullism - 18 Nov. 2023 at 3:17pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2023 at 10:53am
Nice!.......tell us more.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2023 at 10:24am
  Cool!👍🏻

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2023 at 8:02am
"Period... correct... accessory" Smile

Edited by mbullism - 18 Nov. 2023 at 8:03am
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 7:49pm
tha'd be very cool
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2023 at 4:10pm
Starting to think I may be able to save the original paint on this one Thumbs Up

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2023 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Glad you’re up and running 🏃‍♂️ Have a great trip west and be sure to take in the beautiful scenery of eastern Colorado as well 😂 Wishing you & bride a safe & wonderful trip with much adventure! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽 and at least a couple trips over the Great Divide as well 😎

Lee

Thanks, Lee!  (I plan on spitting on the far side so my DNA is on both sides LOL )
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2023 at 10:05am
Glad you’re up and running 🏃‍♂️ Have a great trip west and be sure to take in the beautiful scenery of eastern Colorado as well 😂 Wishing you & bride a safe & wonderful trip with much adventure! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽 and at least a couple trips over the Great Divide as well 😎

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2023 at 7:42am

Originally posted by 19Cargo42 19Cargo42 wrote:

Looks great. Have a good trip!

Originally posted by SE Kansas 46
CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

You go, Mike! Sorry to have to miss you there.

Not looking forward to the drive out, but that is wayway overshadowed by the anticipation Embarrassed

Originally posted by jhg jhg wrote:

Love the jack. It has the perfect well used look to be allowed on the front of a nice jeep.

That's a 32in model 20, and it predates the jeep by a couple decades LOLWink  

My favorite detail is that at somepoint someone worked it hard enough to completely shear the hook off the carriage, and found it important enough to do a dang good job brazing it back on.  Found in surface rusted working condition, the only thing I've done to it is rub off the loose and soak it in fluid film Thumbs Up

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2023 at 10:47pm
Love the jack. It has the perfect well used look to be allowed on the front of a nice jeep.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2023 at 7:43pm
You go, Mike! Sorry to have to miss you there.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

19Cargo42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19Cargo42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2023 at 6:43pm
Looks great. Have a good trip!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>