Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Clubs for jeeps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern Panhandle, WV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 11:15pm
Are there any flat fenders in the Martinsburg/Berkely Springs/Charles Town area interested in jeeping in the Sleepy Creek WMA? Enjoy going but would like others in case anything "goes wrong". There are some really nice trails in this 23,000 acre reserve.
pilot195 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot195 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 12:48am
gosh, thanks Steve...sounds really great but I'm a long ways away from self propulsion on my project

Glad to know you are in the area 
Jim
'46 Willys Jeep CJ-2A
USAF retired
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 1:06am
Keep me in mind as you complete your "project". If you are in the area sometime, I'd be happy to take you for a ride. I have someone I go with but it would really help to have a second (or more) jeep (s). For being so close to "civilization" I have seldom seen an area so remote. I have no idea how long it would take for anyone else to show up (days/weeks/?). Of course you seldom have more than a 5 mile hike out.

Good luck with your project. You will be surprised how good the old ones go on the trail.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 10:01am
HI, Steve
Can you post some photos of the WMA? I'm trying to get my 48 back on the road and looks like I'm sorta near.
Thanks
Rick Estes
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 1:52pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 1:53pm
This is the view to the East from PeeWee Point in the WMA.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 1:55pm
Will post some of the trail later. If I get a better handle on posting photos.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 2:17pm
I will have to keep this in mind.  I have had BAM BAM out in the area more than once when I'm working at Quad Graphics.  Night0wl lives in Stephens City.  Here is a video of he and I running BAM BAM down I-81 in that area:

CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 2:38pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 2:40pm
Sleepy creek. Typical trail. There are some more challenging places but I neglected to get photos there. Loved your jeep on 81. Obviously you have more squirrels in the cage than I have (better brakes too!)
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 2:47pm
Would be happy to show people around the parts of Sleepy Creek that I frequent. It ain't Moab but it is fun and remote feeling. The trail going from PeeWee Point down Brush Creek is the most interesting part yet. You start on an open gate and end up at a closed gate.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 2:55pm
jpet, you boys were certainly beating feet in the video. I have no idea how fast my old MB went. I ran out of speedometer when the needle woild hit the pin. It did run a V6 and OD.
uncamonkey
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 10:43pm
Steve, thanks for the photo. That looks like my mind of Jeepin! Maybe when I get Scabby back together we can join you.
Rick Estes
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2017 at 11:15pm
I have a WV State Senator who is interested in taking a number of State Senators for a ride in the Sleepy Creek WV Wildlife Reserve on some jeep trails. He would like to have three jeeps. I have one. Is there anyone I can get for this coming Monday or Tuesday? Would be off Shanghai, WV. About two hours ride. The Senator I have been talking to is Mark Maynard. Not my Senator but a fellow jeeper who is interested in developing WV jeep trails. I contacted him after he was cited in JP Magazine for attempting to require the WV DMV to release digital maps of all state offroads.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 11:42pm
Found two more. Now to see if they show up.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2017 at 11:42pm
Not the jeeps. The Senators.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2017 at 3:47am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I will have to keep this in mind.  I have had BAM BAM out in the area more than once when I'm working at Quad Graphics.  Night0wl lives in Stephens City.  Here is a video of he and I running BAM BAM down I-81 in that area:

Jeff, that sure was fun!  I watched that video and thought, man that was crazy.

Steve,  I am pretty close to where you mentioned.  Would love to connect with some members here locally.  No Jeep for me to drive currently but it would be cool to ride along with someone.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply