Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 Rebuild
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:26pm
Hello All,

Past weekend I went on the longest ride yet after installing new exhaust system... A couple times when decelerating I slipped out of second gear.... Does anyone have a good idea or estimate how much it will cost to rebuild (from a shop)? I understand you don't really know until you get in there, but I'm just looking for a range...

Thank you

Edited by ggordon49 - 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:35pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:38pm
A master rebuild kit from Novak runs $255. It contains a new 2nd gear, cluster gear shaft, along with all the bearings, gaskets, syncro rings and such. I would consider that as a starting point. If any of the gears or the main syncro hub need replacing, you go up from there. Also need to figure in the cost of supplies like gasket sealer and gear oil.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 3:58pm
thank you, sir.... Is this something you guys feel can be done successfully by a novice? I'm confident in my abilities but I have never rebuilt one before... In my experience, some things should be left to someone who knows what they are doing... I'm not a complete moron, but I'm not a professional either Tongue
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:33pm
T90's are being refurbed by novices all over the place, through no fault of their own, lol.  

There are nuances involved.  Each of the guides, manuals, videos I found covered a solid 95%+, none seemed to cover everything, and all of them together had to have "missed" something Wink...  I know I probably did, lol.

Take your time, be a sponge for information, use quality parts and follow directions and it's really pretty easy, imho.  

(everyone that's done more than one started by doing their first, and even with an "expert" looking over your shoulder you're not going to know everything by doing one LOL...plenty of info out there, and failing that, plenty of experience in here...just sayin')

Edited by mbullism - 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:37pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:34pm
There are some good step by step guides out there and if you were ever to start on working on a transmission, the T90 is the one to start on. Pretty simple for the most part. 

In our how-to section here on the page there is a list of guides and such.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 4:51pm
Thanks Guys!!! Sometimes I need that little boost in confidence... Appreciate it Smile
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:11pm
ggordon, I feel your pain, I drove my 47 willys on the FCT 17 this year and experienced the same situation with slipping out of second gear. After talking with some of the old hands there at the FCT it seems that it is a common problem with the T-90. I got several opinions as to the cost to send my T-90 away for rebuild or exchange, estimates ran from $750 to $1100. All of the old hands also said that a DIY is not that difficult with a minimum of mechanical aptitude. With the help of the forum here and all of the online info available I plan to remove and rebuild my transmission this winter. Good luck, I'll watch your posts to see how you are proceeding!      
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

ggordon, I feel your pain, I drove my 47 willys on the FCT 17 this year and experienced the same situation with slipping out of second gear. After talking with some of the old hands there at the FCT it seems that it is a common problem with the T-90. I got several opinions as to the cost to send my T-90 away for rebuild or exchange, estimates ran from $750 to $1100. All of the old hands also said that a DIY is not that difficult with a minimum of mechanical aptitude. With the help of the forum here and all of the online info available I plan to remove and rebuild my transmission this winter. Good luck, I'll watch your posts to see how you are proceeding!      

That's what I was thinking too.... I think I will enjoy it for a few more months and remove in the winter.. It's reassuring to hear your story.. Thank you for the info!! I will start now pulling together as much info as I can find and start my homework. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 7:20pm
The T-90 is about as easy a rebuild as any transmission. It was the first transmission I ever rebuilt and that was almost 50 years and literally hundreds of transmissions ago.

A few simple things to consider:

During disassembly keep all the parts...whether you think they are bad or not and keep then in an area that is devoted to just that job. In my shop all transmission teardown parts went into metal draon pans...nuts bolts, everything. Nothing got thrown in the scrap until the transmission was back in service.

Always replace all gaskets and seals. Bearings are suspect and subject to replacement in most instances. If the object of the rebuild is to keep the transmission in service without problems, then the price of the replacement bearings shouldn't be a factor.

Unless you have done several of the same model transmission, follow the service manuals for that particular transmission. It does not hurt to look at several manuals, because the writer of the manuals may often overlook a particular procedure because they assume you might already know that procedure and plan to use it. As mbullism points out, he has read manuals that cover about 95% of the job. Reading several gives the first time rebuilder an excellent overview of the entire operation.

Inspect each gear and shaft for undue wear. Pay particular attention to the clutch teeth (synchronizer teeth) on the main drive gear (input gear) and the mainshaft second gear. They should not have rounded points on the clutch face of the gear. Always use new synchronizer stop rings, but you should really consider replacing the whole synchronizer assembly because the three dogs in the synchronizer can be worn and not show it. Attention should be paid also to the mainshaft 1st-reverse sliding gear. This gear often gets a workout when the driver attempts to downshift into first gear without coming to a full stop. The gear teeth should not have any chips out of the teeth. The countershaft gear (cluster gear) needs to be inspected for the same damage as the 1st-reverse gear. The reverse idler gear needs inspection at the teeth and the bushing inside the gear; it should turn smoothly on the idler shaft and no detectable wobble on the shaft should be detectable.

The transmission should be thoroughly cleaned inside and out. The front bearing retainer should be inspected for wear where the clutch throwout bearing slides on it.

An inspection of the shift tower should be made. The shift forks where they engage the gears shouldn't have excessive wear and should be solidly mounted on the shift rails. This is a little more forgiving than the rest of the overhaul in that if something isn't quite right with the shift tower at least it can be removed easily in the event that something needs to be corrected.

There are some options on the T-90 main drive gear (input gear) that need to be considered. These have to do with the type of seal used in the front of the transmission. The original seal was a layered felt-rubber seal that sealed against the back side of the front bearing retainer and is prone to leaking after being in service for a while. Other designs include a new style retainer with a conventional seal in place and a still different solution using a sealed bearing in place of a input seal. There are pros and cons for each method but you do need to be aware that there are different ways of solving the front seal leakage problem that can be prevalent in T-90 transmissions.

Use only top quality parts from a reputable supplier. Avoid using used parts, especially bearings with a questionable history.

The most complicated part of rebuilding the T-90 is the mainshaft spacing...it must be right, but we are here to help when you get to that step.

Finally, don't be afraid to tackle this job yourself. With the proper service literature, patience, good shop practices, and the help you find on this forum you should be able to rebuild the T-90. Many of us on this forum have rebuilt the T-90 and can help you if you have questions. Just ask on this thread, and we will give you the help you need.

You can do it...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 7:36pm
Wow, great post! Lots of valuable information... I'm grateful to be part of this forum. Thank you.
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2017 at 9:36pm
I'm in the thick of rebuilding a t90 for the first time myself. And I know nothing. You can do this. Google Rick Strivers videos. They are excellent.

15 Field RCA
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 5:40am
I had my T-90 done by a really good local Jeep expert and it cost me $1550.00 which included taking the trans out of the Jeep and reinstalling it (all new internal parts except the main shaft).  I also got a completely new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch fork.  He also resurfaced the flywheel.  Runs like a top.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 5:44am
that sounds like a great deal.
15 Field RCA
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by jaksjep jaksjep wrote:

I had my T-90 done by a really good local Jeep expert and it cost me $1550.00 which included taking the trans out of the Jeep and reinstalling it (all new internal parts except the main shaft).  I also got a completely new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch fork.  He also resurfaced the flywheel.  Runs like a top.

Where in the WORLD in SO. CAl. did you get that done for so little???  The parts alone on that job were $500.00.  So the guy basically rebuilt half the jeep for a grand?  Unbelievable.
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 6:19pm
Now take this comment with a grain of salt.  I too was where you are.  I have NEVER EVER worked on a car before.  Got my CJ2 and it needed the trans redone.  With the help of the gang here on the board and one member who actually had me over to his house to use his tools and time to show me how to do it - IT DID IT!  Of course it wasn't right!  The "great videos" neglected to mention you have to measure the endplay on the mainshaft and you have to get that right otherwise it will fall out of second downhill.

So... I pulled it apart and did it AGAIN!  It still leaked a bit and the bellhousing to trans holes are a bit stripped but.  it drives fine for now.  I will be taking it apart again for the THIRD time this winter! 

But...... I have no regrets and enjoy learning and turning the wrench as it were.  If you don't enjoy that - you're driving the wrong vehicle.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 6:50pm
Thanks cal.bar for sharing your story... That's my biggest fear with this project. But I do enjoy working on them, so I guess like you said, it will be a learning experience..
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 92889 92889 wrote:

I'm in the thick of rebuilding a t90 for the first time myself. And I know nothing. You can do this. Google Rick Strivers videos. They are excellent.

Thanks for the support and info! Appreciate it.
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

Originally posted by jaksjep jaksjep wrote:

Where in the WORLD in SO. CAl. did you get that done for so little???  The parts alone on that job were $500.00.  So the guy basically rebuilt half the jeep for a grand?  Unbelievable.

It's actually an FAA certified machine shop and it was kind of a side job by one of the owners who is a Jeep nut.  One of the owners is a long time family friend, his Dad was a friend of my Dad and so on down the family food chain.

I can PM you the info if you want it.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>