Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Nother Diesel Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2019 at 11:56am
Supper work!  
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2019 at 2:25am
Roll bar sawhorses?  Way to make something do double duty!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:30am
Got the power steering pump bracket fully welded and in place. gonna hafta find a spot for the reservoir after the fenders are back on. Just wish I had made the bracket a wee bit shorter so both V-belts would be the same size.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:36am
Now on to the seats. I like cheap seats. I found a pair of Polaris Razor seats on Craigslist. I spent quite a long time last winter rigging up a seat slider from a Chevy Cavalier. It really turned out nice, but when I set up the driver's set on the gas tank it sat up too much. My head was pretty much as high as the roll bar, probably not a good idea. I think we will have to design something else a little shorter.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:47am
We'll start the redesign on the passenger side. I had a bunch of 1" square tubing from a canoe rack I made for my old TJ. Don't have the TJ anymore, so time to repurpose the tubing. I was just a little reluctant to use the tubing, as the wall thickness isn't super thick, but it's exactly the same tubing that is in the seats. Also, the seat belts/harness will bolt throught the floor and to a spreader welded into the roll cage. I want to sorta duplicate the Willys set up, whereby I can tilt the seat forward, although the highback seats limit the tilt. I also want to be able to remove the seat easily. Instead of the stock set up with a flar spot in the hinge allowing the hinge to be disassembled, I made mine with pins. I also rigged it to sit down over a stud in the back and lock in place with another pin. This should keep the seat from flopping up over bumps.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 5:20pm
   Your PS pump mount looks stock. nice work.

Oh, hey, a few pages back you had a photo looking down into the engine bay, and I couldn't help but notice your U-bolt mount-plate with the ends pointing up out of harms way.
   What vehicle did those come off of ?

thanks
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2019 at 3:02am
Thank you.
The rear U-bolt plates are from an 80's Dodge rear spring. I talk about them on page 1. Looking down into the engine bay, the driver's side is from a 1988-98 Chevy/GMC 1500 u-bolt plate, which allows you to flip the ubolts. Because the spring pad is cast into the pumpkin, the passenger side is a stock Wagoneer spring pad and u-bolts.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2020 at 3:29am
Got to update this thread before it becomes buried again and I can't find it!  Gathering stuff, mostly.  My awesome wife got me a wiring harness for Christmas and I'm trying to gather gauges and such.  I made a mount and wired up the little ARB compressor for the lockers.  I also got a Lokar shifter for the TH350 - trying to look a real stick shift!  It's so nice when things come together - I had an old CJ5 transmission cover that will fir right around the Lokar - sweet. 

Edited by bobevans - 29 Jan. 2020 at 3:33am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:34am
What did you pay for the Kubota through EngineMon?
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2020 at 5:22pm
I think I paid just south of $2,000 - maybe $1850 for the engine itself, but then shipping was done through my local LTL (less than a load) shipper, I think that was another $225 and finally I had to pay a core because I didn't have an engine to trade in.  I think that was another $300 (maybe more) or so.  I haven't run the engine, so I can't say anything about the health of it.  It was definitely used and initially looked good, but the paint is sort of slapped on.  Not enough for me to re-paint it though!
Enginemon was certainly easy to deal with and I had good communication with him.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 4:14am
I'm slacking again.  Hope to get a few more updates done.  Kinda hoping I can take Reefer Madness on the 2021 Rubicon trip.  I think I got the steering pretty well ironed out.  Pontiac Sunbird pump, eBay remote reservoir, home made bracket and the last piece of the puzzle was a set of Jeep TJ power steering hoses that I had my local hydraulic hose company shorten.  I was feeling very proud of myself as I started to add some fluid (The reservoir is ziptied to the alternator bracket in the pic, but it will be attached to the fender).  As was adding fluid, I glanced at the very brief install instructions.  It suggested that you gently spin the engine by hand to to spin the pump - usually clockwise!  Oh Snap, is this thing gonna spin the right direction??
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 4:28am
After the steering I thought brakes might be a good thing.  I'm using a Corvette style master cylinder.  Got all the lines run and started bleeding the brakes.  After a couple of rounds of drain all the fluid back out and fix this or that, I finally think I got all the leaks addressed.  Now just need to find something to give my wife the incentive to come out to the garage and sit in that grungy seat and pump some brakes!                                                                                                           I'm going with a Dana 300 transfer case.  Great case, but no e-brake.  For some time I have wanted cutting brakes - like on a tractor.  Hit the brake on one back wheel and turn hard and really make a tight turning radius.  Well, my rear axle has disc brakes, but has the little dum inside - it's how the Isuzu Rodeo had parking brakes.  I figured if I rigged up two levers, I could control each rear wheel independently.  It took WAY too much time to make this work.  I had to modify the stock Rodeo cable and shorten them a bunch.  Then I had to devise a setup where I brought the cables through the rear floor riser.  I think it works OK right now, but my big worry is that they will wear quickly and either need adjusted constantly or turn out ineffective.                                                     The braking Oh Snap moment when I realized that hooked up the back brakes to the rear of the master cylinder and the front brakes to the front.  I'll address that when I pull the body for final painting.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

....  As was adding fluid, I glanced at the very brief install instructions.  It suggested that you gently spin the engine by hand to to spin the pump - usually clockwise!  Oh Snap, is this thing gonna spin the right direction?? ....

Yep.  As long as you aren't running on the outside of a belt everything will be turning the same direction, even with the 2 belt setup
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2020 at 11:05pm
Thanks-and I am very hopeful.  My worry is that the Sunbird probably used a Serpentine belt and I'm not sure which direction it spun.  Again the directions supplied with pump were very generic and not specifically for this pump.  I hope the Sunbird spun clockwise!

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:01am
Wiring!  Got the 21 circuit harness from EZ Wiring of Florida.  Looks pretty good.  PLENTY of wire length for my little flatfender.

'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:02am
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:22am
Not sure why,  but wiring is one of my least favorite aspects of a build.      That looks like torture.  LOL    Seriously though,  I bet a kit like that helps.   Hope you are having fun.

Will it be ready to drive in 2 weeks?   Tongue   Looking forward to wheeling with you.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 3:53am
Two weeks is a little enthusiastic!  I'm hoping next year, maybe the Rubicon trip if I get the bugs worked out.  Two weeks will be the old grey 2A/3A
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>