Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Paint
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Autumn Yellow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Autumn Yellow?
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2008 at 1:06am
Hey Guys,

I've been intently following this thread because I too have a need to know about the "true" colors as Willys Overland intended them to be. That being said, my '46 has only two coats of paint-one being the newer O.D. by a previous owner who liked the color and Pasture Green on the bottom.

Personally I like the look of what is generally accepted as "Autumn Yellow" for the wheel color. And to me, the color combo shown on the Barrett-Jackson '46 that was just sold looks right (just my opinion).

That being said, I knew I had a paint chart that could shed some light on this. It's the 1948 Nason chart which clearly identifies three wheel colors as such. Take it for what it's worth, this isn't an official Willys document. but it isn't so far removed time wise to dismiss. Hope this helps.

One other thing I'd like to add, it was exciting for me to see the photo that Randy posted of the unrestored pasture Green jeep, because my "Green" matches the faded nature of that one perfectly.

Tim
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2007 at 6:24pm
Randy:

Sorry, I spaced this out:
Quote In all of your Willys documentation, where is the list of actual names of the wheel colors?
The '45 parts list is the only one which differentiates wheel/body color.  Both Autumn Yellow and Sunset Red are listed as wheel colors (enamel), and American Black and Pasture green as "striping" colors (lacquer).  The '47 & '49 lists do not differentiate anything.  Colors are simply lumped together alphabetically w/out specifying wheel/stripe/body.

I've never seen Sunset Red on a chip chart.  The chart I posted above w/Autumn Yellow is not mine, but was on the internet.  There are (were) a couple of more online which included Universal Beige:

And a Dupont chart that includes Wake Ivory

Sunset Red is still MIA.

Sean

Edited by sean - 31 Mar. 2008 at 4:55pm
Nelebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2007 at 12:58am
I had some industrial Imron matched to the original Univerasl beige that was original on my rims. There was the luzon red stripe about 3.75" from the edge of the rim and about 5/32 wide. The paint I had mixed was about as perfect a match that can be made by the human eye. The down side is that the paint store didn't record the recipe. I did paint a strip of aluminum that could be used for a paint chip if anyone wants a piece.
Jim
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2007 at 12:10am
Art,
Hard to tell from the photo.  Have you had the spare off of the carrier?
It may have some better samples of paint that haven't been exposed to
the elements on the back side of the wheel.   The best samples I have found in the past have been when I removed the tire and tube.  The inside of the rims may have some untouched patches of original paint.

Randy 
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2007 at 6:33pm
It's not a good photo quality, but could my factory 15" rims be Autumn Yellow?

Edited by 48cj2a - 12 Dec. 2007 at 6:35pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2007 at 3:07am
Randy,
Well spoken. I see  an "issue" 
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2007 at 2:43am
Howard,
I believe we did use the same color wheel paint from Beachwood.   The original post of the Barret-Jackson 2A shows what I believe is the wrong color, which is what is shown in the color chips as Autumn Yellow.   Computer variations and camera settings allow for most of this.   I went back and reviewed many photos.  My concern is still the same....if you are using the Autumn Yellow as shown in the paint chip sheets, it's the wrong color.  That's what I think happen to the person who restored the BJ 2A.

Again, why list one wheel color....where's Sunset Red.....where's Universal Beige for the Luzon Red body color??    I would think a Willys Salesman's data sheet would list the correct body/wheel paint names.    I believe the correct name for the Luzon Red body paint should be Wake Ivory for the rim.   I also believe further investigation needs to be done and the 2A History page needs to be updated.

Edited by Randy Snyder - 12 Dec. 2007 at 2:47am
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2007 at 2:34am
I've wondered about the universal beige w/ the Luzon also.  I've seen many Luzon painted the autumn yellow and that is what Lefty's are (well yellow anyway). There was a real nice Luzon ag Jeep for sale a while back supposidly original and it had the yellow wheels.  Mrberry posted some photos of his luzon w/ beige and it looked sharp. Any reason you think the yellow is correct?

WFB 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2007 at 2:22pm

Great Shot, Randy...Most Curious. FWIW...Beachwood's Sunset Red is very Orange /Red. I really don't know what to think about this subject at this point. These photos are difficult to interpret but it is very safe to say that there are different colors involved. I don't know what factors 60 years have in changing color shades. Light exposure...heat...chemicals may all pay a part in this. Don't know. But it sure appears there were at least two yellow wheels. I am surprised that more folks have not offered up their samples on this discussion.

This photo is a large file, sorry, and was given to me by Tom. It is 23353.

Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2007 at 2:16pm
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2007 at 5:17am
I have never seen paint chips on any paint mfg. chip sample sheet listing wheel colors for Jeeps.   If you put the 'Autumn Yellow' color to the side, what about 'Sunset Red'?   Has anyone ever seen this color on a paint sample/chip sheet?

I also believe the 'Universal Beige' color is incorrectly labeled as the wheel color for the Luzon Red Jeeps.

Sean,
In all of your Willys documentation, where is the list of actual names of the wheel colors?

Thanks, Randy

Photo below of an unrestored Pasture Green Jeep w/ faded yellow solid rim next to mine.   A small amount of polish to remove the oxidation and it matched my rim exactly.

Edited by Randy Snyder - 11 Dec. 2007 at 5:44am
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2007 at 3:45pm
Randy:
Quote I thought the paint sample chips at the beginning of this post were only for body colors.
I don't know.

Most other color chip charts don't even include Autumn Yellow.  I would find it odd if they had 2 different colors called Autumn Yellow though.  Would lead to some confusion.  But maybe that's why 2 different colors are showing up on wheels!

Sean
mncj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 6:25pm
Look up 1946. I have  original paint chips and had them mix me the color and it appears right on. They can mix it in whatever type of paint you want( enamel, single stage urethane, base/clear...)
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 1:04am
Searched on a '48 Willys...

Didn't try any other years, so maybe there's something there for a '45-'47, or maybe a '49?
Looks like a great place, IF...<g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
mncj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mncj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2007 at 12:38am
www.autocolorlibrary.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2007 at 10:03pm
Sean,

I thought the paint sample chips at the beginning of this post were only for body colors.
I may get shot at saying this, but I believe the Autumn Yellow referenced on those chips were for a Willys Wagon, which was painted in two tone to simulate a 'woody' appearance.

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2007 at 4:15pm
at first that yellow you had didnt really appeal to me.  but much like everything else on the jeep, i have grown to like it and will use Beachwood autumn yellow on mine.

eric
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2007 at 4:11pm
Here are some other wheel photos from 23353. You be the judge.
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>