Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Targhee: a Moab/Rubicon flatfender build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 5:31pm
No problem.
 I really didn't go to any trouble other than snap a couple pics.
I expect someone else might find that basic T18 info as useful.
I actually figured you might go 465 on us. Ha Ha !
So I  did not bother to go into the T18 internal parts swapping.

So your definitely leaning toward a Trans-Make Jeep meaning it is partially assembled using Non Jeepcomponents.
When it comes to components and assemblies other than Jeep I draw the line. Ha Ha Ha !

I just posted over on Jeffs build thread. 
He's long been having issues with his SM 465. 
Hopefully he will find a solution toward his SM 465 issues.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2018 at 9:38pm
I think you will be happy on the trail and the highway with the drive train you have selected. The 4.3L is a reliable power plant and the some of fuel injected versions are also quite simple. The TBI versions (1985 – 1995) and also the 1992 to mid 1995 Vortec engines use an ECM which is basically encased in a thin aluminum box. In my experience these are the best EFI versions due to the simplicity of the wiring and the lack of theft detection in the ECM. Grabbing the wiring harness from the donor vehicle and reworking it yourself is straight forward on these early EFI engines. The TBI engines do not have quite the horsepower that the Vortec (Central Port Injection) engines have, but have an overall lower height which would help when squeezing them under a flattie hood.   Either way you are going to have plenty of power!

Pontiac's “Iron Duke” (GM 151 ci 4-cylinder) engine would also be a good candidate as the ones in the early 1980's CJ s had a small block Chevy bolt pattern on the back. The Jeep version never came with fuel injection, but the Fiero version did and can be retrofitted to the Jeep version. This is a little more complicated than just buying a factory fuel injected 4.3L.

IMO nothing beats a factory fuel injection engine for what we use our Jeeps for. Yeah, they are a little bit more complicated, but they are very reliable, will run on their side, and at any altitude. If something goes wrong you just go to the local auto parts store and tell them what vehicle it came out, pull the codes if needed, and they typically stock the part to get you back on the trail. We have been reworking the simple GM EFI versions for 20 years and nearly every issue we have had has been with the fuel pump.

I type this while as I am thinking about how to EFI a Dauntless V6 (odd-fire) for Elmo because that is what Dylan wants. Diversity amount rigs is neat and keeps it interesting though. The first EFI we are going to try is a reworked 4.3L EFI with a crank trigger to generate a smooth tach signal.
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 3:33am
Jack,
 It sounds like you're getting closer to selecting your drivetrain in regard to your transmission.
One thing that hasn't been discussed in your transmission selection though is how much the size of your transmission is going to affect your belly clearance. While the SM465 is a brute of a trans it is also the largest in physical dimension of all of the truck 4 speeds. It hangs down farther than the others. Be prepared to fab a custom crossmember and mount, and to have the top require a good sized hole in your floor. The T18, NP435, and SM420 are all physically smaller, and don't hang down as far as the 465. Since you'll be fabbing the mount anyway you can raise it up as high as you want but the higher you go the more floor you will need to cut out to clearance it. Done properly the others can be used with the stock crossmember, although the T18 and 435 need a notch cut in the front side for clearance. The 420 uses the stock crossmember and skid plate with no modifications. If belly clearance is important you will want to be aware of that. That is not to say it can't be done in a flattie; Jpet has a 465 and several guys who run the early CJ5's use them as well.
Lastly, I hope you can read this in the spirit it was intended. This is not to dissuade you in any way from your selection, but only to inform you of some points that you may not have considered in the interest of making an informed decision.
As always, keep us posted. We are building right along with you!
FWIW,
Mike

P.S. Hey Brian there are some guys on ECJ5 who have done FI on the Dauntless.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Bridog Bridog wrote:

I think you will be happy on the trail and the highway with the drive train you have selected.

Thanks Brian, I think I will too.  It's been a long journey from my original plans to here, but I'm feeling pretty good about the way things are coming together.  And thanks also for the good info on the various engines.  We're getting ready to start searching and that will help.  Jack
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:25am
Originally posted by nivrat nivrat wrote:

Jack,
 It sounds like you're getting closer to selecting your drivetrain in regard to your transmission.
One thing that hasn't been discussed in your transmission selection though is how much the size of your transmission is going to affect your belly clearance. While the SM465 is a brute of a trans it is also the largest in physical dimension of all of the truck 4 speeds. It hangs down farther than the others. Be prepared to fab a custom crossmember and mount, and to have the top require a good sized hole in your floor.

Mike, yes, I'm a little concerned about that.  Looking at the 465 sitting on the floor next to a T90 is quite a sight. But we're going to give it a try.  I appreciate all your comments, so I hope you never feel like you can't speak up.  Looking forward to meeting you and the others out there some day!  Jack 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 4:23am
Busy weekend, but we made a little progress, put the front axles together. 

http://www.nitro-gear.com/Dana-30-4340-Chromoly-Nitro-Front-Axle-Kit-p/axn24106.htm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2018 at 1:58am
We had some time today and made a little more progress on the front axle, it's almost done.  We learned that Moog makes what they call a "Problem Solver" upper ball joint.  The grease zerk sticks out of the side instead of from the bottom, so that you can get to it to grease the ball joint.

We also added the Trail Gear Differential Creeper Breather Kit to keep moisture out of the diff.

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 11:42pm

Out with the L Head, in with the Ecotec . . .

This arrived today. It’s a GM Ecotec LV3 4.3 V-6 out of 2016 Silverado.

I started out a couple months ago with virtually no knowledge of what it took to build a rock crawler.  I saw mine as a mostly stock flatty with bigger tires and a roll cage.

But, as my good friend and partner in this build, Eric, said to me last month, “you’re not in Kansas anymore”.

How true!

I’ve watched videos, read posts, and received a ton of great advice from you all.

So, once again, I’m going to take some time to consider some other options.

Two steps forward, one step back!  Or maybe one step forward, two steps back!LOL

Stay tuned.

snave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:58am
jb, what a cool looking engine. Installation should be interesting. Waiting for more pics and "fitment" details. Have you found s bellhousing yet? 

Fuzz
Fuzz
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:04am
I'm trying to figure out what the orange car is in the ackground. I m an old volvo guy. I can do Jeeps, VWs and Corvettes as well.Thecomputer is screwing up sorry.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:10am
uncamonkey
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 3:06am
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

jb, what a cool looking engine. Installation should be interesting. Waiting for more pics and "fitment" details. Have you found s bellhousing yet? 

Fuzz

Thanks Fuzz, yes, "interesting" is the right word. Wink Not many people using these LV3 engines yet so we know there will be some issues to work through. Looks like it will be a few weeks before we can get started on the swap.  I'll post details as we work through it. 

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what the orange car is in the ackground. I m an old volvo guy. I can do Jeeps, VWs and Corvettes as well.Thecomputer is screwing up sorry.

That's a 1971 MGB GT. I'm the original owner, bought it new in June of 1971 at Leonard Motors in Newton, New Jersey. At the time I was driving a 1965 MGB Roadster, I went up to Newton to get some parts for it.  I'd just gotten out of boot camp, had a little money coming in, saw this shiny new GT on the showroom floor, drove it home the next day and have had it ever since. I went through the brakes, steering and suspension about 10 years ago, otherwise unrestored and very driveable.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 4:30am
I just did not see enough of the grill to figure it out. I loved some of my old Volvos and I could kick some ass in one. I had a guy in an Audi that wanted to race me. I kicked his butt and was doing over 100 at the west side of the tunnel. I never saw the guy again. I could get rubber in two gears. I do know people with MGs and MGBs
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 8:52pm
Hey Jack
Here’s another bit of info about a possible front axle. I know you are well into the one you have, but just food for thought. 
Brennan Netcalf has been looking into the D44 clone that Mahidra is putting into their Roxor flat fender reissue. Here’s some discussion on FaceBook.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2018 at 11:58pm
The mid seventies Scouts had Dana 44s for a front axle also.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov. 2018 at 4:14am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Hey Jack
Here’s another bit of info about a possible front axle. I know you are well into the one you have, but just food for thought. 
Brennan Netcalf has been looking into the D44 clone that Mahidra is putting into their Roxor flat fender reissue. Here’s some discussion on FaceBook.

Thanks Stan, that is interesting.  As the old stuff gets harder to find and more expensive that could be a great way to go. But you're right, I'm way into my D30.  Life has been getting in the way of Jeep work lately, but the front axle is done, so I'll stick with it.

Also, I'm enjoying those videos you and Jeff have been posting on You Tube, they've become a part of my nightly T.V. time.  Thanks!

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2018 at 2:29am
Tires Arrived Today

A set of 4 new Milestar Patagonia M/T, 35 x 12.50 x 17. 

This build continues to evolve in ways I never thought of when I started this thread. 

Haven't had much time to work on it, but the ideas keep flowing. Looking at several different suspension options, but no decisions yet. 

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2018 at 9:40pm
Those are some nice looking tires Jack!  Definitely going to be all your Dana 30 wants even with the chromoly shafts. I am looking forward to hearing about your new ideas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>