Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019!
    Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:02pm
Welcome to the 2019 CFFC Fall Color Tour Announcement and Discussion Thread!

Let us take you on a tour of the Colorado Rockies, complete with blue skies, gold and red aspen leaves, lots of rocky dusty roads, and some of the best folks you could ever go Jeeping with. 

Mark your calendars for the week of September 15 - 20 for some high adventure!  Bruce, Ron, and myself will be leading two tours every day, taking you into the mountains, crossing creeks, exploring high meadows and passing through the shadows of aspen in full fall foliage.  I hope you'll be able to join us.  We're planning to make a few changes for this year.  Stay tuned to this thread to learn what's new for 2019.  

As we have in the past, we'll offer free camping at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  And we'll have our potluck dinner and raffle prize giveaway on Thursday evening.  And we'll offer some training in mountain driving for those who are new to the challenges that our Jeep trails offer.  Nancy and I, along with Bruce and Ron, are looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends in this year's Fall Color Tours! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:30pm
We missed our first planned year last year with too many last minute jeep issues.  But they are mostly worked out now and hopefully will even have the PTO winch installed. So we are marking the calendar. We are the ones with the droopy front fenders. Embarrassed

Not thinking wife is up to a full week, but probably just 3 days.  I should get some mountain trail experience in NM I this summer.  Which days do you suggest for newbs?  

Edited by mickeykelley - 07 Jan. 2019 at 3:39pm
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 12:20pm

Welcome to the 2019 Fall Color Tours discussion thread. We look forward to seeing many smiling faces again in September.  But we’ve got a few changes we’d like to make for this year.

2018 was one for the record books.  We had 68 Jeeps participate in the FCT, and over 130 people attended.  We had several new runs that folks enjoyed.  And we had 22 states represented in the group.  We were successful beyond my expectations in bringing so many Flat fender Jeeps together to celebrate good Jeeps, good friends, and good trails.  In fact by mid-week I think my fun-meter was pretty well pegged.  Despite the great cooperation from all who were here, and the handful of folks who help me host this event, I began to feel like this had gone beyond what I was comfortable trying to manage.  I came to the realization that I need to limit the size of this event to retain my sanity, and to be able to enjoy my guests. 

So for 2019 I am making a few changes that I hope will help.  The first change will be implementing advanced registration.  We’ve had registrations for the last two years and we’ve appreciated everyone’s cooperation in filling them out.  We don’t charge for registration, or participation, and that won’t change.  The purpose for having the registration is to have information about all participants in the event we have a medical emergency affecting any of our guests.  We’ve had old friends suffer from medical conditions in other places, and if they should suffer when they are with us, we want to know who to contact and how to reach them. 

As part of the registration form, we are including a liability waiver.  I’ve been advised that I should have one by many people over several years.  This last year we had a few instances that could have put us in jeopardy of being held liable for tragic events.  Fortunately those events did not become tragic, but they were close enough to raise concern.  As a result I sought assistance and guidance in putting together a Liability Waiver that will now be part of the registration.  It’s written in plain English so most folks should be able to read it and understand what it says.  If you have questions about it I’ll be happy to discuss it with you.

I’m planning to limit the size of the Fall Color Tours to 50 Jeeps, around 100 people. We were close to that number in 2016 and 2017, and I was fairly comfortable with those numbers.  So how am I going to limit the numbers, and how will I choose who can come?  I’ll tell you now.

The first part will be the pre-registration.  The form is available online at this web site:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/uploads/1479/cffc_fct_2019_Registration_2018-11-29_15-09-43.pdf

Anyone who wants to participate needs to print out the form, then fill it out. Mail it to me at:

Mike Picard, 20123 Hideout Lane, Nathrop, CO 81236.

The form will be available from now through the end of April. I need to have forms from everyone by April 30, 2019.  For the second part of the process, on the 1st of May I will use a random number generator to assign numbers to each form. I will put the forms in order from 1 to 100.  The first 50 will get to come. The rest will have the option of being on an alternate list if someone in the first 50 cancels out. I will send out notices to the address on each registration form with the results. This is the fairest way I could come up with to select the 50 Jeeps for this year.

In the coming months we’ll post a list of essential and recommended parts that each Jeep should have.  By sometime in June we’ll post the roster of trail rides for the week. In between we’ll answer questions and talk about many aspects of the tours.

I don’t want this to become the ‘Woodstock’ of Willys events by growing too large.  I also don’t want it to become a business.  I want it to continue to be an informal gathering of Willys Jeep enthusiasts who enjoy riding rugged trails in the mountains together. By limiting the numbers in a fair fashion, I hope to keep this event available to any old Jeep owner, and help our circle of friends continue to grow.

Again, Welcome to the 2019 FCT thread.  I hope we’ll have many engaging discussions in the months to come.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 1:39pm
Printed.
On the list, you have 4 lines for 4 different names.  I assume that's to mean a max of 4 people per Jeep/entry.  What if that line up of people were to change before the event?  Can that be adjusted as needed as long as it stays within the max of 4?
Brett
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Printed.
On the list, you have 4 lines for 4 different names.  I assume that's to mean a max of 4 people per Jeep/entry.  What if that line up of people were to change before the event?  Can that be adjusted as needed as long as it stays within the max of 4?
Brett

For people like myself, and a few others, we come alone most of the time, so that should garner enough room for ppl that have more than one, and still remain near Mike's 100 ppl total...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Printed.
Brett
Here I am very flexible.  If you have 6 people in your family and they will all be going out, then add some lines to the back of the form and add the extra folks on there.  We don't usually get more than 3 folks per Jeep, but sometimes the whole family comes.  I don't want to cut it off at 4 people per Jeep in attendance.  

Can you change the names after you send in your registration?  Yes.  Right up to the day you arrive, you can make adjustments.  Part of the reason for having the early registration is so I have time to input all this info into a spreadsheet that I can print out for Ron, Bruce, and myself to take with us.  That way we'll have critical info about each person at hand, and we won't have to shuffle registration cards every morning.  That is a pain.  Changing a name will be easy to do in the spreadsheet, then we'll reprint that page for our field copy. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:06pm
What "type" of jeep os best for this trip? Can a stock restored one go without too much worry of damage, or is a modified one better?
Thanks
Jay

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:27pm
chasendeer,  The best Jeep for these tours is a flat fender Jeep.  We offer a range of tour challenges from mild to wild.  We have had museum quality restorations join us and tour the week without damage.  And we have a modified crowd that loves to tackle the tough stuff.  Most folks and most Jeeps are in the middle.  The Jeeps are mostly stock, but some will have a few mods.  Anything from cup holders to overdrives.  Some have reproduction fabric-covered wires and a few have V6 engines.  You get to choose the degree of difficulty for the trails you'd like to try.  Most will leave here without putting a single scratch on their Jeep.  All 3 guides drive Jeeps with 4 cylinder engines.  We're not out to race around the countryside, but to tour around the countryside.  I hope this helps.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 4:41pm
Mike 
Glad to hear this. I have a 2a that went over the Rubicon this summer with the Qwaaazy 8's, but I would prefer to take my GP. Not afraid to scratch it, but don't want to roll it down the rockies!

Thanks
Jay

64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 5:11pm
Mike thanks for the post on the dates of the '19 FCT.  My calendar is marked and I will get the registration off to you soon. 

Till we Jeep again!  Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 9:37pm
Mike and Nancy:

Thanks for hosting this wonderful jeep event again this year.  My calendar is marked and the registration form has been mailed.  Com'on snake eyes . . . baby needs a new pair of tires.  LOL
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:19pm
Mike that’s a good plan. I used Excel spreadsheet generators a lot in my work. It’s fair, and I’m hopin’. 
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:23pm
Jay you gotta bring the GP. 
An annual military-heritage lineup on Aspen Ridge is a great pic. 

Edited by tamnalan - 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:25pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:33pm
I know better than to ask for preference points as your sister. I will however remind you that my shoulder will be healed and capable of handling the coffee pot ….. if I make the cut. Oiy, the pressure. It's mean to make us wait until May, just sayin' …...
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 11:54pm
Kate - although I didn't see it specifically stated, there is only one entry form per person allowed. Sending one every week till the deadline will not help your chances. Or will it?
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 12:23am
Joe Friday - you're a genius! This is the FCT after all, no holds barred.
You guys have shown me creative genius on the trail, I hope I can rise to the occasion.
Besides which I have a secret weapon -- and her name is Mom.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 12:41am
So Katiedid raises an interesting question.  Why wait until May to find out if you're selected?  I picked May because it gives everyone 4 months to get the registration forms in to me, and it gives you 4 months to get your vacation lined out if you're coming.  I'm not opposed to moving it up to the first of April if there are enough folks who are interested in that.  I'm sympathetic to those who are still working for bosses who want to know vacation plans months in advance. 

And Joe Friday, with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, asks "will sending in one form every week help your chances?"  Or something like that.  While I smile at the "lottery potential" of having a new form each week from some caring 4-wheel fanatic, to be truthful, the answer is no.  Sending in new forms for personnel changes, or corrections is fine.  But when the new one comes in, the old one is archived - and not used in the random number lottery.  So save the stamps and make your best guess on your first registration.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 2:50pm
Mike, My registration is in the mail! Even though I would like to know sooner than May, It makes no difference between the two for me. Let those who have to know sooner make the call. Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. I guess we will see about that, and thank you and Nancy for doing this every year. It means a lot to all of us. Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>