Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

value appraisal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: value appraisal
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 11:39pm
Not certain I am in the correct topic, sorry, but I am getting prices for insurance for my 2A. I feel compelled to get full coverage since I have about $5000 into her. My auto insurance has advised me to get the jeep appraised.  I probably do want full coverage in the event Ole Ratdog gets in an accident or someone decides they want to steal her. 

I live in New Jersey (I KnowDead). Any suggestions for getting our rigs appraised for insurance, or otherwise, reasons??

Thank you!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 11:50pm
I have Hagerty insurance that I think is quite reasonable in price and good reputation even comes with roadside assistance.  You put the value of your vehicle and the price is rated accordingly.   What I also liked is that I could do it online.  I did have to send a picture of the building that I keep it in.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 2:49am
I'll look into that, Jim. Thank you!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 3:58pm
X2 on Hagerty. The premium is dirt cheap. The value is what you want it to be. I set $12K for one of my jeeps....it seemed like a reasonable amount for what I could get for it if I sold it and the premium is like $57 for a whole year. No appraisal is required.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2019 at 4:09pm
for sure! My present auto Insurance company quoted $800 for the year. I completed the quote estimate for Hagerty this morning and was quoted $153. Quite the difference. I will complete the Hagerty process tonight.

Thanx for the feedback. You just saved me $600!!!Hug
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 8:44pm
I had to beat up State Farm but got mine to 80.00 year...wasnt a show car by their standards...no chrome....pushed it up the corporate chain and they relented .... registered antique..
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2019 at 10:35pm
The only thing to keep in mind with specialty collector insurance is what limitations they might put on use. And things like Storage requirements (Locked Garage/building etc.) I have heard a couple of times they do not cover anything that happens off road (don't know if any one does).

My insurance guy is an independent agent and he says when the time comes he can get me a good deal on agreed value insurance. We will see. I plan on starting the insurance shopping a couple months before I am ready for a test drive. Hopefully early summer.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:01pm
I have been buying Stated-Value insurance through State Farm for 35-years or longer. And there are No driving restrictions.

Yes, they ask that I gat an appraisal which if no appraisers were available within a reasonable distance, my agent said it was permissible to get an appraisal from an auto-body shop because they work closely with adjusters daily.

I still have 4 vehicles currently on Stated-Value with State Farm.
   This is what has worked for me up here in rural-America in Redding, Ca.

Wow !   I looked at the Haggerty value for a 1946 CJ2A, and the 3-levels were pretty realistic of what we may have invested for values.

High = $16,000
   Med   = $10,300
   Low   =   $5,500

Edited by Greaser007 - 26 May 2019 at 6:11pm
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:45pm
I went through Assurant - a division of Gieco. 

After a few photos back and forth, we agreed on 20K value with no appraisal. My premium in $258 a year. Sounds high. But after really looking at the coverage offered by places like Haggerty, I went this route. They match my other auto policy. Where Haggerty and the like lack is in injury and property damage to others. Not saying anything bad - but I just wasn't comfortable with the coverage. Assurant was a bit of a pain to get through. But I thought it was worth it. 

And yes - to Mark's point - I know of no one that will cover you off road. I know arguments can be made for off roading in approved areas, such as BLM land, state forests, etc. But I think you'd be in for an uphill battle for your personal loss. For the loss of others, especially off road, I always have carried an umbrella policy.....just in case.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply