Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Original vs Omix-ADA radiator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Original vs Omix-ADA radiator
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 6:59pm
I've been having heat troubles almost from the first day I started up my rig.  I've tried a lot of different things to cool it down. Many of them  helped a little, but I still get REALLY hot on a summer day in Moab, mostly when I'm on the pavement trying to keep up with traffic. I don't really have too much trouble when I'm bumping along on the trail.

Anyway, I decided to try a different radiator and the cost of the Walcks copper and steel replacements made me choke so I decided to try one of the Omix-ADA repops. I found the best price from Summit with their free shipping.

This little video is just a visual comparison of the two. Since it's January and there is snow on the ground and a bunch more on the way, I won't really have a good chance to test it out functionally until the spring.

Here's the video.

Edited by smfulle - 18 Jan. 2019 at 12:48am
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 7:13pm
Great comparison Stan.  Looking forward to your installation and test report.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 8:52pm
Great video Stan. The new radiator being aluminum should dissipate heat better than your original. I am curious how it works for you. I will be awaiting your report when it turns hot outside.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2019 at 10:29pm
Yeah, I can't wait for the install and review.  I hope you don't have TOO much trouble getting it in.  Small differenced like you showed can be a MAJOR headache sometimes.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:09am
 Stan, that radiator looks exactly like my replacement radiator which is a copper/brass replacement. I would be really surprised if your new radiator is aluminum. I looked at the summit website and it says it’s an aluminum cross flow radiator, but that is not correct; it is a down flow radiator (with tanks and headers that look like copper/brass). Would you measure how many fins per inch your new radiator has and how many rows of tubes (e.g. 2 or 3) it has?  Rows of tubes and greater fins per inch equals better cooling. Yours looks like it has more fins per inch than mine.  My L134 runs hotter than I would like at around 200 deg. on a regular day; much hotter on medium to long pulls.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I’ve installed a 160 deg. thermostat and even drilled four 1/8” holes in it.  I’ve also gone to a 13# radiator cap (instead of the 4#) which helps, but the problem is too few fins per inch on my replacement radiator (which also makes it lighter than the original, all other things equal) coupled with the motor being 60 thousandths over.

So, I’m really interested in your results and findings.  Keep us informed👍🏻
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:28am
Thanks for the comparison Stan. When I redid the motor in mine I also looked into replacing the radiator. Ended up having the old one recorded. When I got everything back together and it was running hot. When I first put it together All I could find for hoses were the corrugated flex to fit kind. Ended up throwing them in the trash and got a set of preformed hoses from NAPA. Cured the problem. They weren’t a perfect fit. After a little trimming they fit pretty good. When I took the old ones off it was obvious that the bottom hose was severely restricted. 

Best of luck
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:41am
Sitting on the couch, reading your responses,
Here’s Omix-ADA’s page on this radiator. They say it’s aluminum and steel.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Sitting on the couch, reading your responses,
Here’s Omix-ADA’s page on this radiator. They say it’s aluminum and steel.

Stan, those pics on the Omix site do indeed look like an aluminum radiator (heliarc’d tanks and hose spouts).  If that’s the one you received, that explains the bulk of the weight differential compared to the original.  This aluminum radiator should be superior in cooling efficiency, so keep me informed as I may need to purchase one😉.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:48pm
Thanks for the link to this radiator study, Stan.  I too may have a rad in my future and all of the different options leave me a bit confused.  Prices from, what, $250 - $600 +-.  I am anxious to hear how the Omix one works for you.  Sure wish they could have drilled it for the fan extension though.

Rick, which rad did you buy?  Was it one of the "USA made" ones offered by KW or Walcks?  I'm very surprised you still run hot after a new replacement.  Could you have some blockage in your engine?  It sounds like you have tried everything.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Thanks for the comparison Stan. When I redid the motor in mine I also looked into replacing the radiator. Ended up having the old one recorded. When I got everything back together and it was running hot. When I first put it together All I could find for hoses were the corrugated flex to fit kind. Ended up throwing them in the trash and got a set of preformed hoses from NAPA. Cured the problem. They weren’t a perfect fit. After a little trimming they fit pretty good. When I took the old ones off it was obvious that the bottom hose was severely restricted. 

Best of luck
The preformed radiator hoses that NAPA and other parts suppliers sell are often designed to fit multiple applications and some trimming might be expected depending on the application.

I am a former NAPA Auto Parts store owner. I don't know about their new computer cataloging because my experience came before the computer, but the old catalogs often indicated where to cut a particular preformed hose to fit a particular application if the hose was multi-use.

Don't know for sure, but the computer catalogs they use these days probably don't show any modification notes.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 7:47pm
Let us know how this works for you Stan, I wish you luck. I think everyone here knows how I feel about O-A, but I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong. They've got a long row to hoe.
  Are you going to carry your old one as a spare? LOLWink   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Let us know how this works for you Stan, I wish you luck. I think everyone here knows how I feel about O-A, but I'm willing to give them a chance to prove me wrong. They've got a long row to hoe.
  Are you going to carry your old one as a spare? LOLWink   BW

Hi BW,  I know what you mean about Omix, but I have had excellent performance from their elec. dizzy and as you know, I like my Solex.  10 years on each and no issues to speak of.  Their rubber shifter boots disintegrate about 6 months out of the box though!  I will say, their 5 year warranty is smooth and trouble-free getting replacements for defective stuff.   I think we need an Omix, if for no other reason than to keep the other sellers honestly priced.  Without Omix, Stan's new rad may have cost him $800!Cry   I know...if stuff we buy were built right in the first place, we wouldn't need a five year warranty!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 8:46pm
Stan, thanks for producing this Original-vs.-Repop parts comparison video. This is one of the many reasons thecj2Apage.com is such a valuable resource to us all.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 10:19pm
Not to defend Omix-Ida's quality but they are selling REPLACEMENT/SERVICE parts not restoration parts so if something functions as intended (yes I know all about crap parts and bad fit) but that problem aside I don't thinkthey are trying to sell parts to replicate originals exactly.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 6:34am
My understanding of O-A parts is that some work well, others are utter crap. So if you are prepared to do the research (which is exactly what Stan is doing here for all our benefits) you can make a real saving on parts. But if you go in for a critical part, untested, there is a good chance of problems. 

I personally avoid them, because of the potential problems i would have in trying to return a part due to my location. It's just not worth the risk to me. But it is probably unfair to write off ALL O-A parts just because some are  known to be bad.

It would be wonderful to have a list of known good O-A parts that could be bought with confidence. Maybe this could be a long term forum project that could be built up over time as Members try products of theirs. A list of known bad parts could be equally helpful (and might be the quicker list to add to!)

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 4:17pm
You might check for a stuck manifold heat riser.
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 7:20pm
Hi Stan:

Thanks for the informative video.  Because your old cooling problems occurred mostly at speed on the highway, you might want to fabricate some brackets for your new radiator to hold the felt top and side pieces against the radiator so all the air coming through the grill goes through the radiator rather than some around it.  You might be able to attach your custom felt brackets to your new radiator using the bolts and nuts along each side.

The U.S. Army conducted cooling tests on the MB/GPW in sand dunes at their Desert Training Center in the California desert from April to September, 1942. Temperatures were in the one hundred degree range and occasionally reached the hundred teens. They discovered the addition of a ring extension to the radiator shroud that completely encompassed the fan blades increased the cooling differential by 7 to 8 degrees. You did not mention whether you had the CJ-2A shroud extension on your old radiator. before you removed it. Nevertheless, I'd suggest you figure out a way to install a CJ-2A radiator fan shroud extension on your new radiator, as that will improve cooling. If by chance you don't have one, Walck's sells a nice reproduction for $49.95, well worth the cost IMO.          

I look forward to following your progress on this project.  Have fun with it, and stay cool.  LOL 
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 8:10pm
Hey Fred,
Thanks for the info.
Shroud extension is one of the things I have tried to keep my cool. Along with new radiator felt, rebuilt heat riser that works as designed, flushed engine with vinegar and with commercial cooling system flush multiple times, had radiator boiled out and flow checked two different times, got a 7lb radiator cap instead of the stock one, put some water wetter in the coolant, tightened up the advanced weights in the dizzy and adjusted timing, even tried a different fan.  Most of these things helped a little, but I still get to 220 or above when going down the pavement at speed, especially when the ambient temp is above 85 or 90. 
Last summer on a couple of trips to Moab it was well over 100 degrees and we did fine on the trail but heading back to camp in the heat if the day was an adventure.
I have high hopes for this aluminum replacement, but we shall see.
Got a couple of trips planned for southern Utah in April. Not sure it will be hot enough there yet to get a good read on this or not.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>