Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing a SM420 behind a Dauntless

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:28pm
I finished up my transfer case for this swap Saturday morning. Well at least as far as I can go with it for now. I plan on moving the yokes and parking brake parts over from the transfer case that is currently in the Jeep since those parts were all installed new not long ago. I went ahead and painted the case as well.

I then brought the transmission up the shop and started in on it. I got it disassembled Saturday morning and gave it a good once over to see what all I will need to replace. Looks like I will only need seals, bearings and I will go ahead and replace the synchronizers since I'm there but honestly they look really good.

That's were any progress on this project came to a stop this weekend. I spent the afternoon and evening at my parents place cutting up a MASSIVE hackberry tree that came down in a storm this week. Then Sunday night we had another storm come through our area that brought 85-90 MPH straight line winds and took out the power to my place at 1:30 in the morning Monday. I decided to get the generator started up about 8:00 in the morning so I would loose any of the food in the fridge or the freezer. That's when the excitement started. Not 15 minutes after starting the generator I had smoke coming from the basement. I ran down to see what was going on and found flames coming from the breaker box. My wife got herself and the kids out of the house and called 911. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and got the fire put out but not before it filled the house with smoke. If you know what electrical fires smell like you can imagine what my house now smells like. The fire department showed up along with an ambulance and several county sheriff deputies. The fire department checked the house with their fire camera for anymore hot spots and brought fans in to clear the smoke from the house.

After they gave the "all clear" I called an electrician out to inspect what went wrong. Apparently when the power company switched out my meter several months ago they failed to hook up the ground and common for the generator lead. He made the necessary repairs and we started the generator back up and found all to be good. Power came back on at about 9:00 last night.

Below is the pictures of the progress I did make over the weekend and I also threw in a couple picture of a irrigation circle just to the south of my house that took out the power lines.

I thank God for giving protection to my family and myself and for the first responders that helped us out yesterday. It all could have been much worse. Now I hope to get back to working on my Jeep.

Edited by AKoller - 28 May 2019 at 2:34pm
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 2:41pm
PTL Alan that no major damage occurred and y’all are safe!!!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2019 at 2:01pm
I have the case cleaned up and ready to go back together. I will get a final cleaning done on all the internals this evening and start going back together. The parts all showed up at the end of last week so i should be good to go now. If all goes well I will have the transmission back together in the next few days. I'm getting down to the point that I'm going to have to cut loose of some money and buy my adapter from Novak.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 2:38pm
Well, the wife and kids were out of town for the day so i took advantage of an evening without any distractions. I got all the internal parts cleaned and nearly finished assembling the transmission. As you can see in one of the photos i am using some flat washers as rear bearing retainers until I receive the adapter from Novak. I stuck the cane in the tranny just to check to see if everything is shifting correctly. I will of course remove it when I go to install it in the Jeep.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2019 at 12:25pm
Well, now it's time to get to work! I will try to find time this weekend to get started on the swap.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2019 at 12:31pm
I took some time Sunday to get the transmission and transfer case mated together. I am very impressed with the fitment of the Novak adapter. It seems to be very high quality. This week I will start with the swap. Its hard to make very good time at it when I have two kids playing softball and baseball. I am at the ballpark 4 nights a week.

It looks like this setup is 4 inches longer than the T90/D18 setup currently in the Jeep. I currently have an adapter plate from the Buick bellhousing to the T90 that is 2.5" thick that will be eliminated.

After some measuring yesterday it does look like I will need to make some changes to the exhaust on the passenger side. My muffler is only about 3 inches behind the transfer case so it will need to be moved. I'm not sure what I will do with that yet.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 1:12pm
I have had little to no progress over the last 3-4 weeks. With my daughter playing fast pitch softball and my son playing teeball I found myself at a ball diamond 4-5 nights a week during the month of June. My nights away from the ball field consisted of mowing the yard and other house projects. We then took our family vacation in the first half of July.

Now that the dust has settled it is time to get back at it with this project. With reservations made for the 3rd week of September for a wheeling trip in Colorado I need to get busy. I was able to get a few hours in the garage last night working on it. The skid plate, drive shafts, speedometer cable, brake cable and shifters are all removed. With any luck tonight I will have the T90/D18 out of the Jeep.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 12:32pm
After 69 years of loyal service the original T90/D18 combo has been removed from Thumper. With it on the floor I was able to do a lot of measuring on both the old and the new gear boxes. I think I have devised a plan on installing the Sm420 in the Jeep where I will actually gain about 1/2" of ground clearance. We will see how that goes when I actually go to installing it in the Jeep. This evening I will go pick up a transmission jack from my uncle so this weekend I can start installing the SM420.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 12:46pm
Got some more work in on the swap yesterday after church. I was able to pull the T90/D18 out of the Jeep without having to touch the motor. I had my fingers crossed that I would be able to install the new setup doing the same... I was not so lucky. I was not able to get my Buick bell housing off of my Dauntless V6 with how tight it fits up to the firewall. So with the "help" of my son I unhooked the necessary components from the engine and dropped it down in the engine compartment far enough to remove the bell housing.

After trying to install the bell housing on the front of the SM420 I remembered that I had read somewhere that a little grinding was necessary for clearance for the top loader.

With the bell housing installed I decided to move onto the crossmember/skid plate. Originally my plan was to build my own but I remembered that I had an extra factory assembly in the barn so I dug it out and started looking at what it would take to modify it instead. After some measuring I chose to go this route.

I still have a little work to do to this set up but I am very happy with how it is turning out. With the transmission bolted to the skid plate, measuring from the floor up to the center point of the input shaft I have maintained the exact same height as the factory T90! When I originally built the Jeep I had installed 1/2" spacers between the crossmember and the frame to flatten out my rear driveline. It was totally unnecessary as the rear driveline was almost flat. I will not use the spacers again so I will gain that 1/2" of ground clearance. All said and done I should have 14.5" of ground clearance to the bottom of the skid plate.

I will still need to cut my transmission hump to accommodate for the taller transmission but it will be minimal.

1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 3:37pm
With the SM420 the shifter will be really far forward under the front edge of the dash usually. Just be prepared to heavily rework the shifter cane for that issue.

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

With the SM420 the shifter will be really far forward under the front edge of the dash usually. Just be prepared to heavily rework the shifter cane for that issue.

I was looking at that yesterday. looks like it will need some severe tweaking.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2019 at 12:32pm
Last night I finished bolting up all the odds and ends pieces to the SM420/D18 assembly. Now it has assumed the position on the transmission jack. I have my dad coming over this evening for an extra set of hands and eyes. With a little luck I hope to have it bolted in the Jeep by the time I hit the hay tonight.

It is amazing how much heavier this set up is than the factory T90/D18. I could fairly easily pick up and move around the old assembly. I had to use my engine hoist to set this new assembly on the transmission jack.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 2:57am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

It is amazing how much heavier this set up is than the factory T90/D18.

From what I have read, the SM 420 is only 60 lbs. heavier than a T-90.  "Only 60 lbs. heavier"...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:45am
You are making good progress!  

Like Metcalf shared,  I also had to put a significant bend in the tranny shifter to clear the dash. 

You are going to love that 7:1 low gear.  Smile
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

It is amazing how much heavier this set up is than the factory T90/D18.

From what I have read, the SM 420 is only 60 lbs. heavier than a T-90.  "Only 60 lbs. heavier"...  Smile

I’m not sure what the big hole D18 weighs but I’m guessing this package with the adapter is right around 200lbs. That is plenty when your fat and out of shape like me!
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 4:03am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

You are making good progress!  

Like Metcalf shared,  I also had to put a significant bend in the tranny shifter to clear the dash. 

You are going to love that 7:1 low gear.  Smile

Progress doesn’t seem to be happening fast enough. I need to have this this done by the 14th of September to head to Colorado with it. I’m also planning on changing carburetors before I go. Oh, and changing cooling fans to an electric and I would like to have this all done by Labor Day weekend because I would like to take it up to Tuttle Creek off-road park for a shakedown run. That would give me a little time to change something if I need to. This seems a little reminiscent of another guy I know trying to do a similar swap before a Rubicon trip!

Edited by AKoller - 26 July 2019 at 4:05am
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 4:39am

Progress doesn’t seem to be happening fast enough. . . .
Trying to balance work/family and Jeeps is tough.LOL  Just not enough time in a day.

. . .  This seems a little reminiscent of another guy I know trying to do a similar swap before a Rubicon trip!

Haha,  yeah, last year about this time, was a little stressful. Ouch  I was just telling someone about it last week.  (that I changed out entire drivetrain,  then used Rubicon Trail as test bed. Wacko)  I was so lucky that everything held up.   Your workmanship looks great,  you should have no issues.

What carb are you swapping?  Now that the stock '68 Rochester 2GC on mine seems dialed in,  I really like it. 

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Progress doesn’t seem to be happening fast enough. . . .

Trying to balance work/family and Jeeps is tough.LOL  Just not enough time in a day.

. . .  This seems a little reminiscent of another guy I know trying to do a similar swap before a Rubicon trip!

Haha,  yeah, last year about this time, was a little stressful. Ouch  I was just telling someone about it last week.  (that I changed out entire drivetrain,  then used Rubicon Trail as test bed. Wacko)  I was so lucky that everything held up.   Your workmanship looks great,  you should have no issues.

What carb are you swapping?  Now that the stock '68 Rochester 2GC on mine seems dialed in,  I really like it. 

I am planning on going to a Motorcraft 2100 with Metcalf's "off-road kit" on it. I have been around several Jeeps that have been running the 2100 and I have been very impressed. They will make you look at a carbureted engine completely different.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>