Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear manifold stud

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear manifold stud
    Posted: 24 May 2019 at 10:52pm
Long story short. I had to replace the rear manifold stud in a L 134. The head is off and after cleaning the threads I shined a lite in to take a peek. The exhast valve was open and I saw the lite! Normal? I know I have removed other studs to have it drain antifreeze so is this correct to have it open to the exhaust valve before the stud is installed? Thanks, Bob
Lady Astor to Winston Churchill, If I was married to you I would poison your coffee. Churchill's reply, if I was married to you I would drink it!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:24pm
That doesn't sound right, though I can't swear to that.  Someone who knows will post, I'm sure.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:13pm
As I recall, that is normal. Permatex #2 on the stud will keep it from leaking and will help with corrosion where the stud is in the cooling jacket. That goes for all studs... Permatex #2.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 12:24am
  Open to the cooling water jacket, yes, normal. Open to the exhaust port? No, definitely not normal. Are you sure you saw light (that light) in the exhaust port? Maybe the edge of your flashlight was hanging over the exhaust port opening. 
  If you saw light shining on the bottom side of the exhaust valve, maybe the light you were directing thru the stud hole was reflected upwards thru a cooling water jacket passage onto the valve.    BW

Edited by Bruce W - 26 May 2019 at 12:29am
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply