Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep taught me a lesson tonight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep taught me a lesson tonight
    Posted: 19 June 2019 at 4:19am
tonight I learned that an entire pan of engine oil can solidify into a thick pudding given enough time. My Jeep last had plates on it in ‘81 and I have ever reason to believe it hasn’t been run since, after setting the engine in the frame last weekend I’m preparing to test fire the engine and thought it would be a good idea to drain the pan, drop it, and check the pickup screen before I start doing anything else. When I pulled the drain plug nothing came out, I stuck a screwdriver into the drain hole and out came a single large glob of smelly old oil (didn’t know oil varnished either) so off came the pan and look what I found.

Andy Meyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 4:21am
That pan was solid oil goop a good 4 inches deep, I think if I had waited a couple more years it might have started to evolve back into a dinosaur.
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 4:27am
you might want to pull your oil pump
Richard
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 8:20am
...and your filter housing.

1946 CJ2A 14098

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:10pm
Filter housing I did remove and clean, no pictures because I was just too filthy at that point to touch my camera. Oil pump I do want to take off and clean out but I haven’t messed with a pump like this before. Anything I need to check or be aware of when disassembling/inspecting it? Are new gaskets readily available and correct for the pump?

So far I have zero sign of any water intrusion, corrosion or significant wear on this engine (looks to be a later model replacement block) so things are going well, just want to be sure I’m not making any mistakes. I’ve been around old poorly maintained junk all my life on small farms, but I can’t say I’ve ever fired an engine that sat idle for 40 years before so it’s a new experience for me
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:43pm
WOW wonder what the oil galleys are like.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

WOW wonder what the oil galleys are like.

They should be fine, the last time the engine was shut down, the oil should have drained back into the sump/oil pan. This should have happened within the first month or so.

I have had very good luck getting non-preserved engines that sat for decades going by, cleaning out the oil sump/pan,  changing the oil filter & oil, filing the points, & rebuilding the carburetor.

Of course, YMMV.

Keep up with the picture taking, we love pictures. (Says the guy who has never learned how to post pictures.)Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 2:57pm
early evidence is that only areas where oil “settles” in the engine was affected. I’m sure there is some residual sludging but likely no worse than the average engine on the road. I’ll take a couple pictures of what i find when the pump comes off and try to run a bottle brush into any accessible gallies to see what I find. 

It’s nasty and jell-o like but it’s not solid enough that I have large concern that it could plug a passageway or starve a bearing if a small amount was still present on startup. Still going to clean it the best I can within reason.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 9:54pm
Good plan.

Thanks for the update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Meyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 5:14am
Cleaned up the oil pan and pickup. Looked pretty much like you might expect based on the previous photos. Got off work late so not as much got done as I was hoping. Ordered some gaskets and a carb kit though.

eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 11:02am
Wow! The difference in those last three pictures is amazing. Great job!
Rick Estes
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 9:11pm
Believe it or not, I've encountered far worse oil sludge. This story has nothing to do with your post other than a sludge comparison.

Someone brought over a 1992 Cherokee with the in-line six for me to look at. This was in 1994 so the Jeep was only 2 years old at the time, but she said it was "using a lot of oil". 

First thing I noticed was absolutely no oil showed on the dip stick, next thing I noticed was the box for the air cleaner was completely full of very black dirty oil. Next thing I noticed were a pile of empty oil bottles which were one of the cheap brands of "recycled" engine oil sold at truck stops and some of the convenience stores of the time, basically a mixture of used oil they ran through some filtering. 

There were two design problems with both the in-line six and the four cylinder engines used in those Jeeps. I had encountered the oil in the air box a year before on a 89 Comanche Pickup with the four cylinder engine. 

The crank case ventilation system was a small tube running from the a small orifice fitting on the back end of the valve cover to the manifold. There was a larger tube running to the air box. The oil return ports in the head were also too small.

The system works fine with proper maintenance, but this poor Jeep had been terribly abused. She had ran it hard with cheap, dirty oil long enough that the small orifice vent became clogged, the oil return passages were clogged, and the combination of these two things caused the oil to pool in the valve cover to then be siphoned into the air box through the breather tube. 

I suppose the oil starved engine created enough heat to cook that sludge in the valve cover, because it was hard enough it had to be dug out. 

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2019 at 6:28pm
I had the same deal on my Empire tractor, sat for anywhere from ten to 30 years
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2019 at 2:08am
After all this cleaning and the oil draining into the pan 40 years ago,  pressuring the oil through the engine might be a good thing.  When I picked up my F head after rebuild the foreman loaned me an oiling  cylinder.  Pour in a couple of qts. put the lid on pressure up with air, hook it to the block at the oil pressure tap, open the valve and oil goes to the bearings.  Every thing gets preoiled.   Seamed to work good for my engine.
Turning the oil pump to bring up the oil pressure with out the dizzy installed could work too.
Lots of ways to attack this.      
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply