Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2019 FCT Prep Projects.....now 2020 FTC
    Posted: 02 July 2019 at 6:01pm
I was lucky enough to get picked to go on the fall colors tour this year. My jeep has been running fairly well until a few weeks ago when I was in Pennsylvania for the Bantam Jeep festival. My engine started smoking blue, white, or black depending on what mood it was in.

I figured while I get my jeep prepped for the tour, it would be fun to document what all I need to do in the short 2.5 months until the event. 

Here's the short list.

Updated to do list 7/8

Running engine (lol) 

• disassembly MB Engine
  • Measure for new bearings
  • Order bearings, rings, rear oil line, oil pan hardware, manifold hardware
  • Gap rings
  • Install new valve guides and re-cut valve seats
  • Assemble engine

PMCS - buy fluids

Teralow swap

• Clean parts

• Order tapered bearing kit, output bearings, shift rod covers, front output bushing

• Wait for tapered?

• Assemble transfer case

Fix brake leak - Figure out where it is

Alignment - Need to research toe in vs toe out?

T90c build -

• Clean parts

• Order Novak Rebuild kit

• Shim main shaft

• Paint

Vent latch - All parts on hand, but need pivot bolts to re-install windshield

Adjust steering - tighten steering box and look at bell crank

Pinion seals - seals on hand

Axle shaft seals - Inner and outer seals on order.

knuckle seals - NOS seals on hand

Differential cover gaskets - seals on hand

Rear Lock right install - parts on hand

Front locker?

King pin bearings - bearings and shims on hand

Side mirrors - need to order

Wire marker lights - didn't start

Soft top - Summer top, bows, and rear corner brackets on order

Granted, I have a lot of work to do, but I think I can pull it off. The biggest obstacle is going to be sorting out the engine. The current (and original) is bored 0.090 over, so that's currently pulled out. I have two spare engines. One is an 44-45 MB that's still at the original bore, the other is a 3a that is bored 0.030 over. The spare 3a engine is getting taken to the machine shop today. I think I'm going to hone the cylinders of the MB engine and put it back together since it's in such good shape.

Aside from that, I have a few upgrades that I'd like to do prior to the event to make my jeep a little more off-road worthy.

Edited by unclemoak - 21 July 2020 at 2:31pm
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2019 at 6:51pm
This should be a fun thread! I will be out there the same week but won't be part of the "official tour". I wish the best of luck to you on your list of projects. Looks like you have your work cut out for yourself. With a little luck there is no reason you can't pull it off.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 3:23am
Thanks for posting. 
It will be fun to follow your progress Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 3:34am
Don’t do like me and change everything at once. That’s what I did and it took me most of 2 months and a bunch more parts to figure out what I did wrong. Turned out that maybe it had nothing to do with anything I had done. But it was working when I fixed it. Wink
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 3:54am
The first step is out of the way. Engine #3 was dropped off at Pakes Engines in Janesville Wisconsin. After chatting with Joe DeYoung a bit, he recommended them since they do all his engines and seem to specialize in this old stuff along with old tractor engines. 

While that’s going on, I plan to drop in engine #2 (the std bore MB). Fingers crossed that #3 will be done in time since Pakes is a little backed up right now. I spent part of last week tearing this engine down to see exactly what kind of shape it was in because I didn’t hear it run prior to buying it. 

I did break a few head bolts and manifold studs while taking it apart, but that was to be expected. I’ve gotten pretty good lately at removing broken studs. The head bolts came out with the welding nuts on the broken stud trick and the manifold studs needed drilled. 

I do have to tear this engine down completely, but the general plan is to hone the cylinders, put new bearings and rings in it, cut the valve seats, and seal it back up. 

Edited by unclemoak - 03 July 2019 at 5:25pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:12am
This is a Great thread!

I’ve been there several times, an outstanding event, I offer a bit of advise, if you Jeep is not operating perfectly at home, it will be many times worse at 8000’ and above. If you have a brake leak, replace everything not just that issue, brakes are very important don’t short yourself, and that includes the parking brake as well. Looking over your repair list, I see:
T90C
Terra-low
Front locker

All cool things to have that will take time, I would wait on that, go expierience the wonders of Colorado and do that for the next trip, focus on making ayour rig very reliable first.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 1:30pm
X2 what Lee said.  The items he listed are not necessary at the FCT.  The stock setup performs just fine...unless you intend on running with the Quasi-8 guys.  If so, then every advantage on the list will help you keep up with them.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Gaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 2:51pm
I will be following this as well.  Part of my plan to prep for FCT2019 is just to drive mine daily.  I realize that this is not possible for you with your engine issues.  Do you plan to have a top for the possible rain and sun shade?  Aside from driving I'm thinking a top would be handy.
-Gaffer
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

...I'm thinking a top would be handy.

A top is a great idea.  The weather is unpredictable.  It can be wet and cold, or the sun can relentlessly beat down on you.  

In a rush to have one for a trip a few years back, I made one out of a cheap tarp.  It wasn't pretty.  Nor would it last very long, but at least I had something.  I didn't end up needing it that particular year.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

The currently (and original) is bored 0.090 over....

WOW, is that genuine or is that typo? 0.090 over?

I've never seen any parts (pistons or rings) offered for a 0.090 overbore! I though 0.080 was the absolute max you could go, and even then you risked punching through the cylinder walls.

Just curious!

Good luck with your long list...

Mike
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

This is a Great thread!

I’ve been there several times, an outstanding event, I offer a bit of advise, if you Jeep is not operating perfectly at home, it will be many times worse at 8000’ and above. If you have a brake leak, replace everything not just that issue, brakes are very important don’t short yourself, and that includes the parking brake as well. Looking over your repair list, I see:
T90C
Terra-low
Front locker

All cool things to have that will take time, I would wait on that, go expierience the wonders of Colorado and do that for the next trip, focus on making ayour rig very reliable first.

Lee😉

Good advice Lee!

The entire brake system is new bearings except for the brake light switch. I’m thinking that might be the issue as it looked damp when I looked under the Jeep the other day. I haven’t gotten a chance to take a close look at the whole system to pinpoint the issue. 

Regarding the Teralow, T90c, and locker. I have 95% of the  parts to do everything. Just waiting on some time to throw it all together. Really just need to wait on my tapered bearing kit from Advanced Adapters. In my mind, The T90c is going to be the long pole with getting it setup and shimmed properly. The Teralow will take some machining to the intermediate gear, but I can do that in my shop. 

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

Originally posted by unclemoak unclemoak wrote:

The currently (and original) is bored 0.090 over....

WOW, is that genuine or is that typo? 0.090 over?

I've never seen any parts (pistons or rings) offered for a 0.090 overbore! I though 0.080 was the absolute max you could go, and even then you risked punching through the cylinder walls.

Just curious!

Good luck with your long list...

Mike

0.090 over is accurate. I’ve been told by some old time jeepers that they used to sell pistons as big as 0.120” over in the 70-80s. 

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Gaffer Gaffer wrote:

I will be following this as well.  Part of my plan to prep for FCT2019 is just to drive mine daily.  I realize that this is not possible for you with your engine issues.  Do you plan to have a top for the possible rain and sun shade?  Aside from driving I'm thinking a top would be handy.

I think it’ll be close to possible. I want to get the MB motor stuffed back in to get some more miles on everything else.

It’s going to come down to the wire with the freshly machined engine, so I want to make sure the MB is good to go as a back up should the fresh rebuild not be done. 

I hadn't put too much thought into a top, but will put it on the list of things to scrounge for.

Edited by unclemoak - 03 July 2019 at 5:16pm
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 6:56pm
For what its worth, suggest that you keep the "new stuff" to the minimum before the FCT. Making sure new improvements work (and keep working) requires driving the jeep for a couple of weeks or more and actually using the new stuff. 

As Athawk said you won't need the lockers or T-90C or Tera Low T-case for the FCT. Wait till you get back and plan for Moab in the Spring.

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 7:23pm
I've been collecting parts most of the spring since I planned to do all this work anyway. I stopped out to a buddies shop who's been in to flatfenders for 40+ years to find a few parts for the T90c/Super 18. Needless to say he had a hodgepodge of parts. 

I picked up two Dana 18's, a Dana 20, T86, and a spare T90. I snagged a few other spares as well while I was there. 

For the T90c, I'm going to use the bearing adapter from the T86, and inventory the best parts out of the two T90's on the shelf, along with a NOS T90c input, cluster, and Novak rebuild kit. 

My plan was to Frankenstein pick the best parts out of the two Dana 18s and use the Dana 20 case, along with a teralow gear set, taper bearing kit, and my existing overdrive. 

The Dana 20 I picked up supposedly came from a tech school and had near zero miles on it. While the Dana 18's run through the parts washer, the Dana 20 is getting stripped down to use it's case. 

If you need all the guts from a Dana 20, let me know. They are all in basically new condition. 

Here's the casting number if anyone is interested. Since this is a "big hole" case, I need to use the bearing adapter from a T86 as mentioned earlier.

Even though the outside looks a little crusty, the internals are in great shape. Too bad I'm not re-using them.

Intermediate shaft is in great shape. This will be replaced by a 1.25" tapered bearing kit from Advanced Adapters.

The case is all stripped down. It'll need a good cleaning prior to building it back up. 

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2019 at 9:54pm
While I'm in the tearing down mood, I went ahead and tore down the first Dana 18. Between the two of them, I'll need:

• Output shaft
  • front shifter housing
  • speedometer housing
  • shift rods and forks
  • parking brake assembly
  • oil pan

I think between the two, I can manage to find all the parts. 

The first one, while crusty, did look half decent inside. The parts were dirty of course, but wiped off and looked fine.

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 12:39am

This Dana 20 was from an IH. 
About the late 60's. 
Those IH Dana 20 twin stick front bearing cap and shift rods are certainly worth hanging onto.

Edited by oldtime - 04 July 2019 at 12:41am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2019 at 12:47am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

This Dana 20 was from an IH. 
About the late 60's. 
Those IH Dana 20 twin stick front bearing cap and shift rods are certainly worth hanging onto.

What makes them special? I have no use for them. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>