Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

------- 1947 CJ2A "Rat patrol" ----------

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 8:50am
The last time I had my transmission/t.c. out I removed my flywheel and replaced my ring gear, clutch disc and pilot bushing. The new 12 volt starter went on the same day. To be fair, I ran the 6 volt starter for 40 years however there were some years that Ol' Red didn't get any use and was in storage. Those years I tend to forget.

Although I was a mechanic for many years, I like to drive Ol' Red and not work on her.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 30 Aug. 2021 at 9:34am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 9:14am
You are welcome Mike. Good to meet another forum member and at the same time get rid of parts that are taking up space LOL
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2021 at 11:54pm

Temporary ignition switch installed. Exhaust system tomorrow, then a few final adjustments & double checks.... STARTING THIS WEEKEND!!!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep. 2021 at 10:03pm
Well, pulled all of the old hanger remnants off, then decided to prime oiling system. Took a large horse syringe, filled it with oil & pumped several syringe worth into an oil galley. 
  Cranked engine over with ignition disabled & it worked it’s way up to 18psi. Cool. I got oil pressure.  
 Spent the rest of the day buttoning up loose ends. 
Getting up early to install exhaust & hopefully start it up. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2021 at 11:39pm
Got exhaust installed, attempted start to no avail.
 took a break & went back over distributor install again, did some adjustments & made a couple of new plug wires so they routed more cleanly. Had lunch. Went back out for attempt #2.................

Started right up & ran great. Got it up to operating temp & shut it down. Only leak that I could find was from around the copper crush gasket in the oil filter lid bolt. It sure sounded sweet & oil pressure was on the high side of normal. No odd noises - no drama. Would post a video but I am too lazy. 
Gauge installation is my next project -
   My new 12v fuel gauge & oil gauge arrived today. The original oil gauge seems to work fine, but I wanted to have them all match.  
  Decided to go with a voltmeter instead of am ammeter, I picked up a good looking Isspro gauge on ebay cheap. Matches pretty well with a white indicator, but has a bit of color in the charge zone.
 New to me original speedometer also arrived today, from Joe Deyoung - nice face & indicator, bezel has some patina to match the rest of the dash.
 Already picked up a repro manual temperature gauge last year.
 Pulled the dash light as I need to replace the 6v bulb with a 12v. It had several layers of paint on it so I had to soak it in Jasco stripper in order to take it apart. 

Went ahead & ordered the ND gear reduction 12v starter.

All in all a banner day.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 10:55am
Big smile
1946 CJ2A 14098
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 11:08am
Nothing like the feeling you have when the motor you have worked on for weeks or even months lights off and actually runs. Congratulations.

Now you are one step further in the process of actually driving Rat Patrol, which really the whole point of the exercise anyway.   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:16pm
At the point where I need to start deciding what to do about a fuel tank. Thought I was going to be able to use my original, but it has too much old sealer in it. Been soaking the inside with acetone but I cannot seem to get all of that goop out. I think I would feel more comfortable with new.... but which one?
Omix?  Crown? or ???

Anyone have opinions they can share?
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:18pm
Walck's sold me a good tank. Fits well, holds gas- can't complain.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Walck's sold me a good tank. Fits well, holds gas- can't complain.

X2

WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2021 at 4:16pm
I also got a nice tank from Quarter Ton and Military  (QTM) about 3 yrs ago. Found them via ebay,and have had good luck with parts from them Also great experience with Pete Debella; he sells top of the line stuff. Bought a great M38 tank from him last year.
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 10:37am
Got it all 12-volted up yesterday.
 - 12v internal resisted coil
 - Pertronics 12v Hall effect conversion kit
 - 12v gear reduction starter
 - 10si one wire alternator & bracket kit
Wired it all up & it started quickly. Had to replace the new solid core wire set that I had made for it with resistor wires as the Pertronics set up does not work well with sold core. Alternator charging as it should, voltmeter works, oil pressure showing good.
 I really like that gear reduction starter, it turns the little L134 over with authority! 
Saving all of the 6 volt stuff of course.......

Ordered a new fuel tank & sender and of course they messed up and sent me a tank for a CJ5. Replacement is on the way. Once that arrives all I will need to do is make up a fuel line, install & take it for an actual test drive.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2021 at 10:32pm
Fuel tank arrived. I decided on the Omix. I was a bit leery, but from the research I have done Walck's is selling the Omix tanks - painted silver instead of black. I purchased mine off of Amazon & the box was marked "fuel tank, black". Anyway, it fit fine & I installed it with 1/8" x 1" rubber strips affixed to the bottom with contact adhesive. My only bitch is that they did not cover the threaded outlet when painting it so the treads were filled with paint. I used Jasco paint remover to clean them out & it turned out OK. I made up proper fuel lines using 1/4" Nicop line, flared the ends & added a glass bowl filter at the carb. Cranked it over & had just one leak at the filter inlet. Tightened the fitting & all was good. 
 Started it up, warmed it & took it for it's first test drive up & down the street. All went well - shifted fine, clutch nice & smooth, brakes worked but of course need some adjustment. 
  On to wiring!  As per advise from this site I stepped up & bought Walcks harness... you guys were correct, it appears VERY nice. 
  One more thing - I bought a complete Crown exhaust system from RFJP. Fit is not correct - it works, but I had to add a 5" extension between the front pipe & exhaust pipe to get the kick up over the axle in sort of the correct spot. Even then it's not exactly right.  I may bite the bullet & order a complete setup from Walcks.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2021 at 11:07pm
Congrats on your first drive!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2021 at 8:11pm
And Folks - THE RAT PATROL is street legal. We have headlights, running lights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers, a rear view mirror. Wipers not yet installed - I opted for dual manual wipers.
 Next I need to clean up the wiring under the dash, then install the driver side only heater.
 For my wife's birthday I bought her an "oh sh*t" bar for the passenger side (she loved it).

Photos soon!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2021 at 8:43pm
Installed OH-sh*t bar, heater, seatbelts, wipers, & common sense fasteners at top of windshield for bikini top.

Next up I need to get some backing plates fabbed & bolt the roll bar in.

Then wait for a decent day to take it for it's first extended drive.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 10:07pm
Been pretty lax on updates.
 Roll bar mounted, Made a bikini top from a 4x4 piece of canvas, installed all new leaf springs & shackles.
 Ordered a rear seat from Walcks, but they shipped the wrong one.... still waiting.....

Rat patrol trivia -
 Hans Gudegast (Rat Patrol) and Bob Crane (Hogan's Heroes) were brothers- in-laws. Their wives were sisters.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 10:26am
Sorry for the lack of updates...
 It's all street legal now, have about 1400 miles on it. No issues at all.
My daughter & new son in law decided to use it in thier wedding....................

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>